Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just posted my review of the 2022 Kia EV6 GT-Line RWD. It's a nice EV!

Reactions: UltraVol

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had my Mercedes in for a scheduled service and they have a Kia dealership righ next door so I test drove a EV6 GT Line. It handled beautifully but there were a few downsides. I'm a little over 6ft tall and the seat bottom was very short for your legs it should extend out just a little further. I had the seat as low as possible and my view out was looking at the sun visor. The stereo was very tinny sounding even with the bass all the way up. Kia needs to have a better stereo for a vehicle at this price point. My wife is 5ft 10inch and she had the same issues with the seat and view out. She owns a Model Y and in her mind nothing compares to the Y. The GT Line was marked up a little over 60,000 and for that price I would just get a Model Y. Granted you get a tax rebate with the Kia but it doesn't compare to a Model Y at roughly the same MSRP.
I apologize for being critical but the EV6 is just priced too high after test driving it, but everything is pricey right now.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had my Mercedes in for a scheduled service and they have a Kia dealership righ next door so I test drove a EV6 GT Line. It handled beautifully but there were a few downsides. I'm a little over 6ft tall and the seat bottom was very short for your legs it should extend out just a little further. I had the seat as low as possible and my view out was looking at the sun visor. The stereo was very tinny sounding even with the bass all the way up. Kia needs to have a better stereo for a vehicle at this price point. My wife is 5ft 10inch and she had the same issues with the seat and view out. She owns a Model Y and in her mind nothing compares to the Y. The GT Line was marked up a little over 60,000 and for that price I would just get a Model Y. Granted you get a tax rebate with the Kia but it doesn't compare to a Model Y at roughly the same MSRP.
I apologize for being critical but the EV6 is just priced too high after test driving it, but everything is pricey right now.
I'm 5'11" and I had not issues with driver view or seating position. The seat did seem a bit hard and a little unusual in its shape. I agree about the stereo; it was inferior to my Model 3. This one was pre-owned and marked up $23,750 - crazy!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm 5'11" and I had not issues with driver view or seating position. The seat did seem a bit hard and a little unusual in its shape. I agree about the stereo; it was inferior to my Model 3. This one was pre-owned and marked up $23,750 - crazy!
Stereo just needs a software update which the dealership performs at no charge. Then the stereo sounds good.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a First Edition EV6 AWD GT-Line that I purchased for my wife. We considered Tesla heavily but she couldn't get past the look of the egg-shaped Y. So the LR M3 would have been the one we would have taken if we had gone in that direction.Totally realizing the M3 is a sedan while the EV6 is more like a bulky back wagon instead of a true SUV. Not having the new 4680 cell batteries available at the time we were ready to buy was also something that held her back. With all that said, she loves the EV6 and I do as well. Tesla is slightly faster, has the all glass roof and better UI but otherwise everything else leans towards the EV6. There are always plus & minuses on every side. Personally we had to have AWD drive so just about any EV with AWD worth it's weight will roughly hover around 60K. I understand some taller folks will have an issue with this car and that is valid. My disappointments with the EV6 are not having the all-glass roof, max range should've been a bit better and UI is a bit convoluted. Otherwise the car is a blast. In my opinion the best version of this car is one that has AWD so you can get the maximum HP. Once you apply the tax rebate, it's even more appealing.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a First Edition EV6 AWD GT-Line that I purchased for my wife. We considered Tesla heavily but she couldn't get past the look of the egg-shaped Y. So the LR M3 would have been the one we would have taken if we had gone in that direction.Totally realizing the M3 is a sedan while the EV6 is more like a bulky back wagon instead of a true SUV. Not having the new 4680 cell batteries available at the time we were ready to buy was also something that held her back. With all that said, she loves the EV6 and I do as well. Tesla is slightly faster, has the all glass roof and better UI but otherwise everything else leans towards the EV6. There are always plus & minuses on every side. Personally we had to have AWD drive so just about any EV with AWD worth it's weight will roughly hover around 60K. I understand some taller folks will have an issue with this car and that is valid. My disappointments with the EV6 are not having the all-glass roof, max range should've been a bit better and UI is a bit convoluted. Otherwise the car is a blast. In my opinion the best version of this car is one that has AWD so you can get the maximum HP. Once you apply the tax rebate, it's even more appealing.
I agree, no car is perfect and you pick the car closest to your needs and wants. The GT-Line RWD seemed a bit anemic. I'm sure the AWD is much better (at least 2 seconds faster 0-60).

The EV6 seems like a nice EV. Enjoy!

·
Registered
298 Posts
My problem with the EV6 is a freakishly small trunk space. It’s basically the size of a car trunk. Kia bills this car as a CUV, and it looks pretty large in pictures. In reality, it’s a compact hatchback. I was considering it, but when I saw it in person to do a test drive, I refused the test drive, as the car is too small for my family needs. It’s a fine EV for taking it around town. It’s not suitable for us to be a car we could travel long distances in due to its relatively small size.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
My problem with the EV6 is a freakishly small trunk space. It’s basically the size of a car trunk. Kia bills this car as a CUV, and it looks pretty large in pictures. In reality, it’s a compact hatchback. I was considering it, but when I saw it in person to do a test drive, I refused the test drive, as the car is too small for my family needs. It’s a fine EV for taking it around town. It’s not suitable for us to be a car we could travel long distances in due to its relatively small size.
The Ocean has roughly the same cargo space as the EV6 which has 25 seats up and 50 cf seats down. Ocean is 20-25 cf with seats up and 45 cf with seats down. The Ocean is a compact CUV too.

The EV6 does fairly well in the box test - about the top 1/3 of the pack for EVs:
Colorfulness Slope Font Screenshot Software

·
Registered
298 Posts
The Ocean has roughly the same cargo space as the EV6 which has 25 seats up and 50 cf seats down. Ocean is 20-25 cf with seats up and 45 cf with seats down. The Ocean is a compact CUV too.

The EV6 does fairly well in the box test - about the top 1/3 of the pack for EVs: View attachment 698
The cargo space is critical to me for long trips. Because I already own a Model Y, I could relegate the other EV to in-town driving only, though. I will likely get an AWD ID.4 delivered to me in August of this year. I may now downgrade my choice of the One to Ultra and keep the ID.4 until Fisker starts manufacturing and delivering the Ultra trim.

My initial thought was that I would trade my Model Y for the Fisker Ocean One or Extreme, but now that I realize how small the cargo space is in the Ocean, it seems like I will be keeping the Model Y for sure.

The two distinctive features in the One/Extreme (solar roof and the rotating screen) are not critical to me. I could easily do without them and get the Ultra for $19,000 less. Somehow I have a feeling that I would not be keeping the ID.4 for too long, but at this point I can’t tell what two EVs I will end up keeping.

At one point, I was thinking both of my EVs would be Fisker Oceans (hence two reservations), but it has become obvious to me now that I can’t have both family vehicles be the Fisker Ocean. Hopefully, Fisker will come up with a larger SUV eventually.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Everyone has unique needs so I can only speak for myself. I own a EV6 and the cargo space in the back for me is adequate. I still feel this way after owning it for 2 months. I've even seen some folks use this car for road trips and they've slept in the back using an inflatable mattress. IMO It never was designed to make the cargo area a highlight. To get that cool shape to the car the backside is streamlined a bit. So there are always some concessions to make. I have a relative that leased an ID4 and I went for a couple of long drives in it and quite honestly I was not impressed. Not with the space or the performance. To me this would be a lower end EV car that is used for day to day errands. Something you wouldn't mind beating up.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Everyone has unique needs so I can only speak for myself. I own a EV6 and the cargo space in the back for me is adequate. I still feel this way after owning it for 2 months. I've even seen some folks use this car for road trips and they've slept in the back using an inflatable mattress. IMO It never was designed to make the cargo area a highlight. To get that cool shape to the car the backside is streamlined a bit. So there are always some concessions to make. I have a relative that leased an ID4 and I went for a couple of long drives in it and quite honestly I was not impressed. Not with the space or the performance. To me this would be a lower end EV car that is used for day to day errands. Something you wouldn't mind beating up.
I'm 99% sure the ID.4 you rode in was a RWD one; hence you weren't impressed with the performance. I'm also not impressed with a RWD ID.4 performance. I would also be very surprised if you bought an EV6 had it not fit your needs. Obviously, different people have different needs. If I were a single guy, I would absolutely consider an EV6. It has plenty of cargo space for one or two people; there is just not enough cargo space for a family going on a long roadtrip.

I'm far from believing that the ID.4 is a vehicle that we would go on long roadtrips in. Maybe weekend-long trips, but that's about it. My son is in ice hockey, so we need a vehicle with the cargo space that can accommodate his large hockey equipment bag and a couple hockey sticks even for in-town driving. When I opened the back of the EV6, it was stunned with how small the cargo area looked. It would be an exercise in acrobatics to fit his hockey bag and two sticks in the back of the EV6.

I had a day-long test drive in the ID.4, and we liked the ride quality except for the anemic acceleration (because it was a RWD one). The cargo-area space looked adequate in the ID.4 for our in-town needs.The ID.4 I'm taking a delivery on soon is an AWD version, which has almost 50% more power than the RWD one.

Unfortunately, it seems like the Model Y is the only EV at this time that has a decent amount of cargo space without going to a $100,000 (or more) option for an EV, which would have a larger cargo area, such as the Model X, a Rivian, or an F-150 Lightning. So, it seems I will be keeping my Model Y instead of trading it in for another EV. If I do get a Fisker Ocean, it will most likely replace the ID.4.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Interestingly enough the Ioniq5 did very well in Bjorn Nyland's banana box test. It took 11 vs the 9 in the back of the Model Y (the +1 is frunk). You can see below the EV6 only took 8 and the ID4 took 9 as well.
Font Screenshot Electronic device Technology Multimedia

·
Registered
181 Posts
How interesting that I'm renting an EV6 right now. The driving position is no good for me - I can't rest my elbows anywhere while my hands on on the wheel. The wheel doesn't go down far enough, and is titled too much toward the sky. Plus the wheel TOTALLY obstructs the speed readout. All that means I'd never buy one. Plus the back end is just too goofy looking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts