Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Volvo S60 Referral M37TH5
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://instagr.am/p/CiNUBuXLOni/ "Look at that solar roof! We just calculated out, it will provide an average of about 28 miles per charge (added to the 350 mile range) . Start of production (SOP) on time; November 17th this year!"

Better than I was expecting. He originally said 350 for the Extreme and 340 for the Ultra.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR | 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
607 Posts
Wouldn't it depend on how often you charge? If you only charge once per month, you can get over 100 extra miles of range. I am assuming they are considering a "charge" is 0-100%. Assuming 12,000 miles a year would be 34.29 charge cycles per year × 28 miles = 960 miles. That is right in line with what they have been stating. The 28 miles will not be added to the 350 for the EPA range.

Reactions: TeslaYperformance

·
Registered
319 Posts
Wouldn't it depend on how often you charge? If you only charge once per month, you can get over 100 extra miles of range. I am assuming they are considering a "charge" is 0-100%. Assuming 12,000 miles a year would be 34.29 charge cycles per year × 28 miles = 960 miles. That is right in line with what they have been stating. The 28 miles will not be added to the 350 for the EPA range.
Why you gotta be such a downer??😁
I was not really counting on a huge bump anyway from the roof- just an adjunct to peripheral power systems to help minimize vampire drain or range degradation .

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR | 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
607 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
512 Posts
It is a bit of a non-sensical metric (Henrik says "its complicated.") I think your guess on the rough way they are calculating is correct.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
Also posted by Henrik:

Q: "28 miles per charge - what does that mean? I assume within a certain time at a specific (sunny) place… "
A: "No, it’s a complicate calculation based over 1 year, average use etc. we will put calculation on our new updated website coming end of October this year"

---------------

I'm counting on 0 miles since my car will most likely be parked in my garage at home and at work.

Reactions: TT97

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
I really hope the panel is durable, I imagine a broken panel would be a mess to deal with.
I'm getting my solar roof protected with PPF (along with the full front of the car).

Reactions: bronco7777

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
Does PPF lead to color mismatching under the film vs exposed paint on with UV exposure, etc?
No it does not. The PPF on my Tesla is over four years old and still looks great. I had PPF on my 2002 Lexus for over nine years with no issues.

This is from the FAQ of the PPF for my Tesla:

How does the self-healing work?
SunTek Paint Protection Film contains a proprietary top coat. This top coat protects the urethane against surface scratches. The majority of surface scratches will self-heal when exposed to heat – sun, warm panel (motor running), warm water, etc. We demonstrate this with a copper wire brush to simulate surface scratches that will self-heal such as surface dirt, sand, salt, etc.
Will SunTek Paint Protection Film turn yellow?
SunTek Paint Protection Film C, Matte and Ultra series are protected against yellowing. Our top coat protects the Paint Protection Film against harmful solvents that are in gas, oil, bird droppings, car exhaust, etc. that can absorb into the film and cause yellowing. SunTek Altered Black PPF is warrantied against discoloration.
Will paint with and without SunTek Paint Protection Film fade differently?
The area protected with SunTek Paint Protection Film will likely fade at the same rate as the unprotected area.

·
Registered
54 Posts
http://instagr.am/p/CiNUBuXLOni/ "Look at that solar roof! We just calculated out, it will provide an average of about 28 miles per charge (added to the 350 mile range) . Start of production (SOP) on time; November 17th this year!"

Better than I was expecting. He originally said 350 for the Extreme and 340 for the Ultra.
I am super confused. Per charge as in how long on the sun ? If that's daily - this would be amazing...but I doubt it. Also I am confused when Henrik says "added to the 350 mile range" . If 350 miles is theoretically with 100% of charge ...then where would that 28 additional miles be stored ?

Hyundai Sonata Limited has solar roof very similar in the size to what Ocean has and if I remember correctly it can only get up to 2 miles per day in perfect conditions.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I am super confused. Per charge as in how long on the sun ? If that's daily - this would be amazing...but I doubt it. Also I am confused when Henrik says "added to the 350 mile range" . If 350 miles is theoretically with 100% of charge ...then where would that 28 additional miles be stored ?

Hyundai Sonata Limited has solar roof very similar in the size to what Ocean has and if I remember correctly it can only get up to 2 miles per day in perfect conditions.
He's obviously being intentionally confusing. That's marketing, I don't blame or hold it against him. And as for the extra mileage: Imagine you drove over 28 miles in the morning, parked your car in the sun all day, and then drove home. You would have battery capacity to get over 350 in that day's use, without plugging in.

Also, I saw another thread discussion around the 350mi for Extreme and 340 for Ultra. The wheel size was brought into discussion, but both of these numbers are for 20" wheels.

·
Registered
54 Posts
He's obviously being intentionally confusing. That's marketing, I don't blame or hold it against him. And as for the extra mileage: Imagine you drove over 28 miles in the morning, parked your car in the sun all day, and then drove home. You would have battery capacity to get over 350 in that day's use, without plugging in.

Also, I saw another thread discussion around the 350mi for Extreme and 340 for Ultra. The wheel size was brought into discussion, but both of these numbers are for 20" wheels.
Anyway ..super interesting. If Fisker can pull off 28miles per charge in decent time...it would be an amazing result.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It still doesn't change the 1,500 miles per year. If it increased that, I am sure he would be marketing that as well. That's on average 4 miles per day in optimal conditions or to add about 1% of the battery per day. That means that are expecting a person to charge about once a week per their calculations. This means they are estimating a daily commute/driving amount of 50 miles/day. All in all seems pretty reasonable if you live in Cali. I would be lucky to get 1 mile per day way up here.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Even the Aptera only generates max 0.7 kW of solar power but of course it only uses 100 Wh/mile (the super efficient Model 3 uses 220 Wh/mile) so that’s 7 miles an hour for the Aptera and 3 miles per hour for the Model 3.

Of course the Aptera is covered in solar panels and a closer comparison is the Hyundai Ioniq 5 project 45 car which could generate “5-6 km” per day.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts