Fisker Ocean Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did this on the Fisker sub (In which I am the lead moderator on so you should totally come hang out with me over there! The sub has been growing at a rapid pace! Fisker Inc. (reddit.com)

Now, with that said, I don't understand why people are going crazy over pricing. The Ocean Ultra comes out on top in EVERY SINGLE imaginable scenario I can think of. Even if Tesla gets the $7,500 credit, the Ocean Ultra still comes out on top! Let's see what you guys think. I am comparing the Fisker Ocean Ultra with the Tesla Model Y because the truth is the Model Y is arguably the best electric SUV on the market. So, here is the chart.

Font Electric blue Number

Here is a link to the thread: Fisker Inc. (reddit.com)

After doing this, I can't understand why everyone was up in arms about pricing. The Ultra wins in every category every single time. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I did this on the Fisker sub (In which I am the lead moderator on so you should totally come hang out with me over there! The sub has been growing at a rapid pace! Fisker Inc. (reddit.com)

Now, with that said, I don't understand why people are going crazy over pricing. The Ocean Ultra comes out on top in EVERY SINGLE imaginable scenario I can think of. Even if Tesla gets the $7,500 credit, the Ocean Ultra still comes out on top! Let's see what you guys think. I am comparing the Fisker Ocean Ultra with the Tesla Model Y because the truth is the Model Y is arguably the best electric SUV on the market. So, here is the chart.

View attachment 2675

Here is a link to the thread: Fisker Inc. (reddit.com)

After doing this, I can't understand why everyone was up in arms about pricing. The Ultra wins in every category every single time. What do you guys think?
You are forgetting about one thing. Risk. It's less likely an oem won't be around in 5 years. But fisker? Who knows. I'm not saying they won't be. It would be great to see them succeed in the long run. But they still have a long way to go. What they had going for them was value. Over time that value has been slowly degraded and people are disappointed. One owners have maximized it. But the rest, who knows at this point. If the tax credit is lost fisker is now competing against behemoths in the space who are starting to show signs of competitive offerings in similar price brackets.

·
Super Moderator
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are forgetting about one thing. Risk. It's less likely an oem won't be around in 5 years. But fisker? Who knows. I'm not saying they won't be. It would be great to see them succeed in the long run. But they still have a long way to go. What they had going for them was value. Over time that value has been slowly degraded and people are disappointed. One owners have maximized it. But the rest, who knows at this point. If the tax credit is lost fisker is now competing against behemoths in the space who are starting to show signs of competitive offerings in similar price brackets.

The chart proves that the Ocean Ultra, even loaded is still amazing value. It's cheaper than the equivalent Model Y. A fully loaded Ocean Ultra is still less expensive than a BASE Model Y Long Range.

Oh, and the Ocean Ultra is STILL cheaper than a Tesla Model Y Long Range even if it gets the tax credit. So I ask once again, what's all the fuss about?

·
Registered
414 Posts
The chart proves that the Ocean Ultra, even loaded is still amazing value. It's cheaper than the equivalent Model Y. A fully loaded Ocean Ultra is still less expensive than a BASE Model Y Long Range.

Oh, and the Ocean Ultra is STILL cheaper than a Tesla Model Y Long Range even if it gets the tax credit. So I ask once again, what's all the fuss about?
It was marketed much lower. Which for many looking to get into the ev space seemed amazing. People tried to budget and guess how much options would be based on comparisons with other manufacturers and were likely nearing the top of their budget including those. What your seeing is frustration and its not the end of the world to have a little venting about it. Maybe a venting thread is necessary lol. Just let everyone run wild with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I mean, if we use that logic, I'd be happiest if it was free but that's not happening so.....
That is too extreme though. Your focus in OP is that you think the pricing of Fisker overall is ok and don't understand why people think the pricing for options is too high, isn't it? So now you should be able to through with that...As a moderator of a forum, if you keep saying a certain topic is not understood by yourself or people should stop discussing a topic and change to some topic you would like to discuss, you are kind of setting up the tone here.

·
Super Moderator
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is too extreme though. Your focus in OP is that you think the pricing of Fisker overall is ok and don't understand why people think the pricing for options is too high, isn't it? So now you should be able to through with that...As a moderator of a forum, if you keep saying a certain topic is not understood by yourself or people should stop discussing a topic and change to some topic you would like to discuss, you are kind of setting up the tone here.
This is constructive discussion that is looking for feedback instead of people complaining that they are canceling their order and that pricing is too high. Please don't tell me how to moderate.

It was marketed much lower. Which for many looking to get into the ev space seemed amazing. People tried to budget and guess how much options would be based on comparisons with other manufacturers and were likely nearing the top of their budget including those. What your seeing is frustration and its not the end of the world to have a little venting about it. Maybe a venting thread is necessary lol. Just let everyone run wild with it.
I can understand that. Looking at the bigger picture though, I just don't see why people feel like they were deceived or lied to. The Ultra still provides value. A vent thread might not be such a bad idea, lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a bit disappointed. I left Fisker a message about his pricing strategy. He must have consulted with some of the members of this forum...I mean I understand where he is coming from, which is reasonable. I do hope the quality of the base model, either Ultra or Sport could live up to his confidence.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ok, let me ask you this way: if the option package can be offered at a lower price, would you be happier?
We are a price-sensitive buyer, so not really. We wouldn't be getting the revolving screen regardless the price, and FIP would have to be awfully cheap. We're buying a "go machine" whose 340 mile range will allow us to go completely electric, and are best served with all the extra stuff being offered on the side. And we are even better served by Fisker subsidizing the base MSRP via options packages.

I know that is a rather mercenary way of looking at it, but if Fisker lowered the price of options & raised the MSRP, we would be less likely to buy the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok, let me ask you this way: if the option package can be offered at a lower price, would you be happier?
HotIce doesn’t seem upset or not happier. Their point is as clear as visine, the ultra is the better option any way you fold it. Better sustainability, better looks, better and more practical options, etc. Who wouldn’t be happier paying less for the same thing?

·
Registered
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
802 Posts
I need to take exception to the notion that it was marketed lower. Henrik said very explicitly that it would cost over $34,000 in options to get the Ultra up to an extreme. We even had a thread pseudo contest about how the options would price. It was almost impossible to get to anything close to Henrick's numbers without the packages adding $15k We knew this. Fisker told us.

I appreciate the disappointment. I share the disappointment that more color/wheel options are not included on the XT. But we were told!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I need to take exception to the notion that it was marketed lower. Henrik said very explicitly that it would cost over $34,000 in options to get the Ultra up to an extreme. We even had a thread pseudo contest about how the options would price. It was almost impossible to get to anything close to Henrick's numbers without the packages adding $15k We knew this. Fisker told us.

I appreciate the disappointment. I share the disappointment that more color/wheel options are not included on the XT. But we were told!
Agreed, I am not surprised by the prices. I have commented I thought they would be high in the past. I just think a lot of people relied on third party comparisons and that's why they are upset.

·
Registered
802 Posts
@HotIce I think the Ocean extreme and the Ultra with packages still are the best and most compelling deal out there. I do not think you can compare FIP to Tesla FSD, but I do think it is fair to price it with EAP even if it is not there just yet (or GM super cruise which is also about $6k when you add the initial price plus monthly subscription).

Also worth noting that the Ocean WLTP range is 380 miles (Ultra) and 391 miles (Extreme) versus 331 miles for the LRAWD Model Y and 320 miles for the Model Y performance (see Tesla UK site). As many will know, Tesla runs its EPA tests using a legal but rarely used test cycle that boosts its EPA numbers, for for comparison purposes (not estimate of real world miles) it is better to use WLTP. The point is that Ocean should go about 15% - 20% further than a Y.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Agreed, I am not surprised by the prices. I have commented I thought they would be high in the past. I just think a lot of people relied on third party comparisons and that's why they are upset.
Understand. Unfortunately people are disappointed. They imagined it would be cheaper. This always happens. Same thing will happen when people realize the mythical $30k / 300 mile Equinox does not exist, never will exist and was never promised. The Equinox will "start" in the low to mid 30s and will have a range "up to" 300 miles. People jump to $30k/300mi but no one ever said that. The Equinox RWD base model will start at $33,900 or so. It will have a range of ~230 miles with a smaller battery. If you want the 300 mile range it will be > $40k and only available on the higher level trims. We see it with the Blazer. Yes, it starts in the mid 40s, but that is for a low range vehicle. Yes, you can get a 320 mile vehicle, but then it costs in the mid 50s and has low performance. If you want an Ocean - comparable performance with sub 4 second 0-60 times, you have to pay a price equal to an Ocean extreme, and you get 25% less range. There is no free lunch.

Anyway. LOL Sorry. Off my soap box. Too many negative folks around here last day or so... Om...

·
Super Moderator
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Understand. Unfortunately people are disappointed. They imagined it would be cheaper. This always happens. Same thing will happen when people realize the mythical $30k / 300 mile Equinox does not exist, never will exist and was never promised. The Equinox will "start" in the low to mid 30s and will have a range "up to" 300 miles. People jump to $30k/300mi but no one ever said that. The Equinox RWD base model will start at $33,900 or so. It will have a range of ~230 miles with a smaller battery. If you want the 300 mile range it will be > $40k and only available on the higher level trims. We see it with the Blazer. Yes, it starts in the mid 40s, but that is for a low range vehicle. Yes, you can get a 320 mile vehicle, but then it costs in the mid 50s and has low performance. If you want an Ocean - comparable performance with sub 4 second 0-60 times, you have to pay a price equal to an Ocean extreme, and you get 25% less range. There is no free lunch.

Anyway. LOL Sorry. Off my soap box. Too many negative folks around here last day or so... Om...
Par for the course, my friend. We just have to turn those negative voices into constructive feedback for Fisker.

A lot of people are going to be disappointed after cancelling their orders and realizing what they gave up and that they don't get the range or the features of the Ocean. How fast is the Equinox EV going to charge again? Oh, that's right 150kw! Cute.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
1,255 Posts
We even had a thread pseudo contest about how the options would price. It was almost impossible to get to anything close to Henrick's numbers without the packages adding $15k We knew this. Fisker told us.
Who won that contest by the way? I need to revisit that thread!

·
Registered
802 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.