Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there was someone active on here who was in the army and due to be deployed overseas. Anyone else?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey @trj, thanks and congrats! I was getting lonely.

I'm up in Boulder. Got a One coming & I have an order lock date of 1/23, so I am hoping for late March or early April.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Love it. We'll have to get Oceans together someplace central. Safe journey home.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great to see people in CO stepping into the Ocean(or any EV).
I have to be honest, I am still on fence on the Fisker Ocean. I really wanted Heads Up display and some other creature comforts like, soft close doors and adjustable air suspension. And the interior is really lacking in options. So, still waiting on the reviews. I hope it is good. I like Henrik Fisker's design and I trust the design, just the technical implementation needs a validation for me I guess.

·
Premium Member
2016 Cadillac ELR
192 Posts
I have to be honest, I am still on fence on the Fisker Ocean. I really wanted Heads Up display and some other creature comforts like, soft close doors and adjustable air suspension. And the interior is really lacking in options.
Hello @trj, just wanted to point out trying to compare apples to (other brand) apples. While it is possible to get nice HUD’s for decent money (especially on Asian built cars), features like soft close doors and adjustable air suspension are expensive options usually found on much more expensive cars. Since the Ocean is built in Europe, comparing the excellent price of an Ocean compared to a Jag, Audi, or especially a Land Rover, the adjustable air suspension is about $4000 to $15,000 more depending on model and brand. The soft close doors add thousands too, with an electric motor (4) and sensors to boot. I would assume that if you wanted to add thousands more to the Ocean those features could be had. I would guess that the vast majority of Ocean buyers here would not want to spring for that extra money.

If you look at why Land Rovers are near the bottom as far as reliability, that air suspension is the reason. It adds a lot of money and a lot of complexity to the system. And it WILL break if not maintained very well. This was one of the worst features on the VW Touareg, which made it one of the most breakdown prone cars they ever made. I’ve only seen one Touareg since they came out, I think they live in infamy in someone’s garage somewhere…. While cool, it’s gonna cost you down the road.

Soft close doors- they can hurt you. Get your fingers near those openings and the car senses the door needs to close and - squish :oops:. Have small kids? No way.

All in all, the Ocean is a bargain for what you’re getting. HF designed this car for the majority of people looking for a particular feature set and performance figures and leaving off small percentage wants. Seat ventilation is probably the only thing I think maybe people would want to pay for extra, maybe the HUD, although that being said, I personally would rather not have them (for less money) and would rather not pay for them. But that’s just me. Hopefully you will reconsider your choices and bring a unique car to your neighborhood soon! 🌊

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello @trj, just wanted to point out trying to compare apples to (other brand) apples. While it is possible to get nice HUD’s for decent money (especially on Asian built cars), features like soft close doors and adjustable air suspension are expensive options usually found on much more expensive cars. Since the Ocean is built in Europe, comparing the excellent price of an Ocean compared to a Jag, Audi, or especially a Land Rover, the adjustable air suspension is about $4000 to $15,000 more depending on model and brand. The soft close doors add thousands too, with an electric motor (4) and sensors to boot. I would assume that if you wanted to add thousands more to the Ocean those features could be had. I would guess that the vast majority of Ocean buyers here would not want to spring for that extra money.

If you look at why Land Rovers are near the bottom as far as reliability, that air suspension is the reason. It adds a lot of money and a lot of complexity to the system. And it WILL break if not maintained very well. This was one of the worst features on the VW Touareg, which made it one of the most breakdown prone cars they ever made. I’ve only seen one Touareg since they came out, I think they live in infamy in someone’s garage somewhere…. While cool, it’s gonna cost you down the road.

Soft close doors- they can hurt you. Get your fingers near those openings and the car senses the door needs to close and - squish :oops:. Have small kids? No way.

All in all, the Ocean is a bargain for what you’re getting. HF designed this car for the majority of people looking for a particular feature set and performance figures and leaving off small percentage wants. Seat ventilation is probably the only thing I think maybe people would want to pay for extra, maybe the HUD, although that being said, I personally would rather not have them (for less money) and would rather not pay for them. But that’s just me. Hopefully you will reconsider your choices and bring a unique car to your neighborhood soon! 🌊
Totally understand the sentiment. Ocean sport is a great bargain, even ultra is a good bargain for what you get for the price. I agree, at the entry price point of ocean those options shouldn't be standard, but having them as option would have been great (at least in the extreme/one trim). You have to agree ocean once/extreme trim is pretty up there with the BMWs and Jaguar money where these options are well, options. These cars are even being built in the same factory. I would have done away with the solar roof and 22" wheels and taken every seat upgrade, suspension upgrade, driver aid and safety option available. I am hoping the suspension, seats and safety options in the extreme trim will be at level with other premium brands. I care less about solar roof, 16 speakers, limo mode, 22" wheels and swiveling screen.

I do have an order for a BMW i4 M50 as well, which has everything but soft close doors and electrically adjustable steering. With current production rate, its going to be built around the same time my extreme is going to be built. The price for my i4 M50 with my selected options is $72k plus $900 destination charge. Now add the delivery cost to the price of $69k ocean extreme/one, it is going to be the same price. But you do get more ( heads up display, ventilated seats etc ) options. Those are (were, because of the chip shortage they are keeping it exclusive on the higher trims) the options in their entry level edrive40, and next years edrive35. People don't always need the high performance cars, they need to have options in the lower trims too. If both of these cars don't deliver on my expectations, I am back to the square one. That i4 M50 is a rocket though, and iX exterior didn't win any points for me apart from one of the best Heads up display implementation I have ever seen.

My situation is a little different, I am either downsizing from BMW X5 or a 5 series, depending on either the Ocean Extreme gets built first, then I sell my X5 or if i4 M50 gets built first, then I am down sizing from 5 series. The only reason we have X5 and a 5 series is because we have a toddler who is still in rear facing seat. It would have been impossible to have the rear facing car seats in smaller cars and us be anywhere near comfortable. Before these two cars, we have been driving Bmw coupes for last 15 years, so I appreciate Henrik Fisker's design and hence our interest in ocean. We like smaller cars and their driving dynamics and ease of parking. There is no other EV design that interests us at all other than the ocean or i4(probably taycan, but that's too expensive for us). We tried Honda(Engine over heated), Mazda(transmission failure), Audi(turbo went out), Mercedes(hated the spongy drive) during the last 20 years, but we kept on coming back to bmws because the other brands just didn't have the driver centric design. We like the chassis and feeling of the steering. That is our expectation with Ocean as well. Hopefully the reviews will help us cement the decision.

Also, I work on my cars, so maintenance has never been an issue unless its engine or transmission. The decision to go EV is to have less regular maintenance so we spend more time with our kid. I'd rather go to park with my kid than change oil or even to wait on line to fill gas. Also, I am older now and would prefer not to crawl under the car.

We are very used to Heads up display(hopefully the smaller screen in front of steering wheel will be better or at least just as good) and soft close doors, we will miss them dearly. Our toddler is a light sleeper, so soft close doors and air suspension have been totally worth it. And no, they don't close if they detect an obstacle, that's a huge liability. I have tested it in my cars. lol. Even the power windows don't close if they detect an obstacle(pinch protection). Cars from last 14 years have even disabled the 'close the windows with remote' function because of liability that comes with people leaving kids/dogs in the car and closing the windows. I am more concerned with swinging the door closed with the toddlers rather than soft close doors.

Tuareg is essentially a Porsche Cayenne. Have to maintain it like a Porsche. I don't hear anyone complaining about maintaining a Porsche, even though maintenance on Tuareg and maintenance on cayenne would cost the same. In fact, cayenne people buy parts for Tuareg, because its cheaper. Same with Lamborghini and vw Jetta having the same window switch. Yes, air suspension do go bad and expensive to replace, but they do not go bad more than the regular suspension. You just don't notice the regular suspension degrading over time, but when air suspension goes, it just wham and you notice it immediately.

I hope you see it from my perspective and not as an argument. We haven't seen the actual production ocean yet and have really put faith on a 70k plus car blindly. I hope it comes through and all my doubts be shattered.

About land rovers, I do love their V8s (specially the 5.0 supercharged ones). ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Love it. I'm hopeful for a March delivery. Keep me posted!

Reactions: trj
1 - 10 of 10 Posts