Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Volvo S60 Referral M37TH5
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think I'm pretty much sold on the Ocean, but sometimes my eye wanders. The most possible for me, if it looks anything like Polestar's concepts, is the Polestar 4. I think that both concepts look fantastic.

Also, last week I was reading reviews for the Volvo C40. I like the size and the styling, but the range is so much less than the Ocean. Plus no digital radar.

And I was momentarily intrigued by the updated Volvo plug-in hybrids. They got a major bump in their electric range. However, with the release of the Ocean and Polestar 4 so close, I don't think that I could see myself buying updated older cars.

·
Registered
Referral Code: 8Z0AXK 45,600+
722 Posts
@baydreamer
oh Yah!
I looked at many different EV models before figuring the best model
for my family is the Fisker Ocean

Long considered the following EV’s
Mustang Mach E
Volvo CX40
Nissan Ariya
KIA ev6
Tesla Y

These five family-style crossovers really impressed me and still do!
However, the Fisker Ocean beats ’em all!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Never having owned, or even driven, an EV I will definitely be test driving several others before I make a decision.

These will probably include

Hyundai Ioniq 5
Genesis GV60 (unless the price is out of range)
VW ID.4 (mostly for reference)
Polestar 2

and maybe

Audi Q4
Nissan Ariya

·
Registered
Ocean One/Extreme, Referral ZOQ017
341 Posts
I'm also interested in the upcoming Polestar 3 (which is going to be made only a couple hundred miles from my house in Charleston SC). I'm in no rush since I am happily driving my almost four year old Model 3 using $37 of electricity to drive about 1100 miles a month.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had an Ioniq 5 reservation but passed on it. The car is perfectly fine, just wasn't what I needed for my family.

I keep my eye on news for the upcoming Korean cousins, Ioniq 7 and EV7, and larger EV9. But these may all be looking into 2024.

On the Hybrid front I'm considering Highlander (which doesn't have a plug in, yet) and both Sorento and Santa Fe PHEV. The Ocean is very similar in length to both of these. I'm hoping internal space isn't cramped by being a lower roof. Time will tell!

I'm hoping the Ocean is large enough to fit my needs, and I think it will be. Plus with a good tow rating I could always opt for a pull behind trailer when needed. I know it eats into range but it would be limited use.

I just keep sending my wife screenshots of the ocean from angles that accentuate the back end and say "this is our next wagon". What's a CUV besides a pumped up station wagon anyway.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You mention other cars that I eyeballed; the Ariya and KV6. The Polestar 3 looks like it'll be bigger than what I want. I actually wish that the Ocean was slightly shorter, like it was when it was originally announced (182 inches verus 188), but certainly no big deal.

BTW, I updated my original post. The Volvo plug-in hybrids aren't new, as I wrote. They're updated with much more powerful batteries. They're even eligible for tax credits.

·
Registered
MB GLA, Reserved Ocean Ultra
304 Posts
On my side I reserved the BMW I4 that I should get in October. I do a test drive two weeks ago and that car is amazing !!! But the toe bar is not available in Canada and I need it for our ev bikes. I checked also the Polestar 2 but the prices are out based on the options, range and charger capable.
I will take my final call when Fisker will release their final numers hopefully in August.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just for the fun of it, I configured a Volvo S60 Recharge. My total came to $56,555. The V60 starts at $67,300, very close to the Ocean Extreme. I've been a big fan of Volvo wagons for a long time, but for not much more money, I can buy a fully electric Extreme. I just checked the site to configure the V60. Everything is standard, but all of the colors (only 4 choices) are grayscale. I'm determined to never buy a grayscale car again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just bought a First Edition GT-Line EV6 4 weeks ago and we are loving it. But that car was technically for my wife. I will be purchasing something for myself in the next year or two. I feel pretty solid about my decision to get the Ocean but I rented and drove a Polestar 2 for a weekend getaway last fall and enjoyed it. So depending on how the Polestar 3 looks and performs upon final release, that may be a good back up option should something go wrong with the Ocean.

The 576 HP GT version of the EV6 (Not released yet but set to arrive this fall) could possibly also be a contender. But since we already have one EV6 not sure we would repeat ourselves.

KIA will launch the EV9 into production in 2023. This has somewhat a similar look to the Ocean with some very interesting aspects. Check out this video: EV9 Concept . Also this video from the L.A. Auto Show this past November: EV9 L.A. Auto Show . I suspect there will be some formal announcement launch from KIA for this car late this spring or early summertime. That's about the same timing they used for the EV6 announcement last year. The EV9 seems to be larger than the Ocean as it will have similar dimensions to the wildly popular Telluride. But having already owned a car from this company we are pretty familiar with how they pack so many features into their vehicles. KIA has promised to launch 2 new EV's every year and the EV7 is also on the radar for the near future.

One dark horse I'm also keeping an eye on is the Mullen Five. See here: MULLEN FIVE It is not an SUV shape like the Ocean but the specs around this car are incredibly interesting. It is set to go into production in late 2023.

Nonetheless, the Ocean continues to be my favorite. My hope is that sometime before Fisker calls to start the ordering process that I can see, touch or possibly drive an Ocean in one of those experience centers they are promising.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Murano SL
155 Posts
I was initially interested in the KIA EV6 and that's the EV that got me to think about BEVs in the first place. Not long ago, the wife and I got to see an EV6 at a local dealer's lot and we were not that impressed with it once we saw it in person. So, back to the drawing board! I had run across the Fisker Ocean sometime ago but didn't think much about it since it was going to be quite a long time before they were available. After the EV6 flopped, I decided to give the Ocean another, closer look. Having developed a better understanding of EV vehicles in general by this point in time, I began to realize just how well the Ocean (Ultra) held up in comparison to all the other BEV vehicle options either currently, or coming soon, to the market. Any way you slice it, the Ocean stacks up very competitively: Cost, standard features, range, HP/torque, bi-directional charging and charging speed, battery type, high quality manufacturer (Magna), ability to purchase direct from Fisker and avoid dealer involvement/markups, numerous exterior color selections, excellent warranties, etc., etc. So, as it looks right now, the Fisker Ocean Ultra is going to most likely be our next car. However, I continue to keep my options open in case something goes array with the Fisker option which would be a deal killer. My backup option(s) would most likely be one of the new GM offerings which should be coming to market sometime next year: Chevrolet Blazer or Equinox or Buick model. Plus, the GM offerings, that are made in the USA by union labor, could be eligible for up to $12,500 in tax "rebates" (not tax "credits") should Congress somehow pass the climate provisions proposed originally in the Build Back Better bill. It would be a real game-changer for me should such legislation be passed!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Up to know I am divided on two models: Fisker Ocean and Alfa Romeo Tonale.
The first as Ev, the second as Diesel car if Ev is not my way.

I like the Mustang Mach-e and the Polestar 2, but they are definitely out of my budget.

·
Registered
MB GLA, Reserved Ocean Ultra
304 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
I was initially interested in the KIA EV6 and that's the EV that got me to think about BEVs in the first place. Not long ago, the wife and I got to see an EV6 at a local dealer's lot and we were not that impressed with it once we saw it in person. So, back to the drawing board! I had run across the Fisker Ocean sometime ago but didn't think much about it since it was going to be quite a long time before they were available. After the EV6 flopped, I decided to give the Ocean another, closer look. Having developed a better understanding of EV vehicles in general by this point in time, I began to realize just how well the Ocean (Ultra) held up in comparison to all the other BEV vehicle options either currently, or coming soon, to the market. Any way you slice it, the Ocean stacks up very competitively: Cost, standard features, range, HP/torque, bi-directional charging and charging speed, battery type, high quality manufacturer (Magna), ability to purchase direct from Fisker and avoid dealer involvement/markups, numerous exterior color selections, excellent warranties, etc., etc. So, as it looks right now, the Fisker Ocean Ultra is going to most likely be our next car. However, I continue to keep my options open in case something goes array with the Fisker option which would be a deal killer. My backup option(s) would most likely be one of the new GM offerings which should be coming to market sometime next year: Chevrolet Blazer or Equinox or Buick model. Plus, the GM offerings, that are made in the USA by union labor, could be eligible for up to $12,500 in tax "rebates" (not tax "credits") should Congress somehow pass the climate provisions proposed originally in the Build Back Better bill. It would be a real game-changer for me should such legislation be passed!
Unfortunately, I think BBB and the proposed updated EV refundable tax credits are dead. At least the current $7500 rebates will work for Fisker. I personally received the $7500 tax credits on my 2012 Volt and 2018 Model 3. GM is going to have a tough time competing with other companies without a tax credit. Tesla, on the other hand, tax credits don't make any difference - their sales are huge and growing.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Murano SL
155 Posts
Unfortunately, I think BBB and the proposed updated EV refundable tax credits are dead. At least the current $7500 rebates will work for Fisker. I personally received the $7500 tax credits on my 2012 Volt and 2018 Model 3. GM is going to have a tough time competing with other companies without a tax credit. Tesla, on the other hand, tax credits don't make any difference - their sales are huge and growing.
I fear you are correct about the proposed BBB refundable tax credits. And yes, GM is going to have a tough time with no incentives left on their vehicles if nothing changes for them before the Democrats lose their slim majorities. Passage of the proposed BBB climate provisions would certainly create a tremendous amount of EV activity and be very disruptive for the auto industry in my opinion. And yes, the $7,500 currently legislated rebate on the Ocean would still be available...if you qualify...which I don't...since I don't and won't owe any taxes next year. Therefore, my only hope is for passage of the new BBB provisions which would help ALL (rich and not so rich) EV buyers...not just those Americans that owe income taxes !:mad: Otherwise, I'm hoping to make enough, or more, on my Fisker stock to makeup for my inability to take advantage of the existing $7,500 tax credit incentive.;) By the way, I'm sure you have noticed that we're have a nice day in the market!🤑🚀

·
Registered
341 Posts
I fear you are correct about the proposed BBB refundable tax credits. And yes, GM is going to have a tough time with no incentives left on their vehicles if nothing changes for them before the Democrats lose their slim majorities. Passage of the proposed BBB climate provisions would certainly create a tremendous amount of EV activity and be very disruptive for the auto industry in my opinion. And yes, the $7,500 currently legislated rebate on the Ocean would still be available...if you qualify...which I don't...since I don't and won't owe any taxes next year. Therefore, my only hope is for passage of the new BBB provisions which would help ALL (rich and not so rich) EV buyers...not just those Americans that owe income taxes !:mad: Otherwise, I'm hoping to make enough, or more, on my Fisker stock to makeup for my inability to take advantage of the existing $7,500 tax credit incentive.;) By the way, I'm sure you have noticed that we're have a nice day in the market!🤑🚀
I take it that you are retired. Is there any way to generate a $7500 taxable liability during the year of the Ocean purchase? Sometimes converting from an IRA to a Roth IRA will do the trick.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Murano SL
155 Posts
I take it that you are retired. Is there any way to generate a $7500 taxable liability during the year of the Ocean purchase? Sometimes converting from an IRA to a Roth IRA will do the trick.
You are correct. Retired for over 10 years now. I've been thinking of ways to generate some tax liability (up to $7,500) in order to have a write-off next year. But, I have a lot of capital gains loss carryovers too which eats further into any income that I might generate. I'll have to talk to my wealth management/financial advisor when/if this whole car buying project comes to pass. Most likely, he will be able to come up with some angle that I haven't thought of in order to somehow salvage the use of this tax credit. You're a financial guy, so I'm all ears if you have any additional bright ideas which might facilitate getting around my problem!👂

1 - 20 of 57 Posts