Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I promise this is my last post on this :)

Just wanted to take a moment to note that the Tax Credit strategy from Fisker is a big win for the Fiskerati and Ocean Forums Community. Worth reflecting for a moment that:
  • Forum was first to identify the issue and, more importantly, to call out the “Transistion” loophole
  • After discussion here, several Forum members were first to point out the issue to HF on Instagram and elsewhere
  • When HF said we have to "wait and see" what the final bill says, it was Forum members who pointed out to him that if we wait until it passes it will be too late due to language in the bill.
  • After pushing on this via social media last Mon/Tues, HF announced that they were working on their strategy
  • Then he adopted the recommended strategy from us and had it ready to launch this morning as soon as the Stabenow ammendments failed last night
  • Fisker launched the pre-order process before any other automaker, all of whom have said nothing publicly so far
Contrast that with the Rivian Forums which is looking at what Fisker did and launching an email campaign to RJ this morning to get him to follow suit.

That is a big win for the Forum and (if it works) will make a big difference to a lot of people.

Great value on the Forum and great credit to @SeanCallahan and to @HotIce who do the hard work of managing these boards.

·
Super Moderator
1,177 Posts
It's my pleasure! I'm not the one who makes these forums an amazing and enjoyable place to be. It's you guys, the community. I'm part of the ride along with this community and just want to make it the best it can be. The Ocean community is just growing, and I can't wait to show other communities how we here get things done. :cool:

·
Registered
Referral Code: 8Z0AXK ~60,000
1,137 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
I promise this is my last post on this :)

Just wanted to take a moment to note that the Tax Credit strategy from Fisker is a big win for the Fiskerati and Ocean Forums Community. Worth reflecting for a moment that:
  • Forum was first to identify the issue and, more importantly, to call out the “Transistion” loophole
  • After discussion here, several Forum members were first to point out the issue to HF on Instagram and elsewhere
  • When HF said we have to "wait and see" what the final bill says, it was Forum members who pointed out to him that if we wait until it passes it will be too late due to language in the bill.
  • After pushing on this via social media last Mon/Tues, HF announced that they were working on their strategy
  • Then he adopted the recommended strategy from us and had it ready to launch this morning as soon as the Stabenow ammendments failed last night
  • Fisker launched the pre-order process before any other automaker, all of whom have said nothing publicly so far
Contrast that with the Rivian Forums which is looking at what Fisker did and launching an email campaign to RJ this morning to get him to follow suit.

That is a big win for the Forum and (if it works) will make a big difference to a lot of people.

Great value on the Forum and great credit to @SeanCallahan and to @HotIce who do the hard work of managing these boards.
It's all cool, but the real question is if this strategy would even work. I would think that HF could pay a couple hundred thousand dollars to a high-flying tax attorney firm to sift through the proposed bill and figure out if the non-refundable reservation fee (which Fisker now calls an "order fee") would have a chance to qualify for the rules of the transitional period in the current version of the bill that has just been passed by the Senate. Relying on advice from some anonymous forum members for such an important issue is misguided. Hopefully, the advice given on these forums to HF was simply coincidental with his decision to convert the refundable reservation fees to non-refundable order fees. I hope this decision was made based on highly competent advice from a reputable tax firm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Most of us recognize that our $250 deposit becoming non refundable in exchange for a decent chance at $7500 in savings/tax credit is worth it…and we were unlikely to bail on the car anyway unless some early articles and adopters came out with an exhaustive list of things that just made the car unreliable, undrivable, unaffordable, or just inconvenient to own vs other EVs.

I think the email and solidifying orders is a good attempt and I’m thankful for the community and forums for speaking up first. It might not work, and even if it doesn’t, I’d say this was as good an attempt as we can possibly get this early in the stage. If it doesn’t work and I am ineligible for the 7.5k credit, I will unlikely keep my order for this car anyway.

·
Super Moderator
1,177 Posts
Most of us recognize that our $250 deposit becoming non refundable in exchange for a decent chance at $7500 in savings/tax credit is worth it…and we were unlikely to bail on the car anyway unless some early articles and adopters came out with an exhaustive list of things that just made the car unreliable, undrivable, unaffordable, or just inconvenient to own vs other EVs.

I think the email and solidifying orders is a good attempt and I’m thankful for the community and forums for speaking up first. It might not work, and even if it doesn’t, I’d say this was as good an attempt as we can possibly get this early in the stage. If it doesn’t work and I am ineligible for the 7.5k credit, I will unlikely keep my order for this car anyway.
To be honest, it's nice that they listened to us and at least tried to do something about it.

It's all cool, but the real question is if this strategy would even work. I would think that HF could pay a couple hundred thousand dollars to a high-flying tax attorney firm to sift through the proposed bill and figure out if the non-refundable reservation fee (which Fisker now calls an "order fee") would have a chance to qualify for the rules of the transitional period in the current version of the bill that has just been passed by the Senate. Relying on advice from some anonymous forum members for such an important issue is misguided. Hopefully, the advice given on these forums to HF was simply coincidental with his decision to convert the refundable reservation fees to non-refundable order fees. I hope this decision was made based on highly competent advice from a reputable tax firm.

I highly doubt that it wasn't. All we did was give him a nudge. There is no way Fisker doesn't have a legal/accounting department that didn't tell him what would be best for his customers. It had to have gone through legal MINIMUM.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well the message from fisker did say "this MAY enable you to claim the $7500 tax credit" Not that it WILL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts