Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from a 10 day vacation and starting to re-think my previously negative view of the Ocean's solar roof. My view to date has been that the solar roof is a gimmick which will yield far too little energy to ever justify its cost. While that is certainly true on a dollars-and-cents basis, my Model 3 just spent ten days losing 15 miles a day of range (+/-) sitting in an airport parking lot. Cabin overheat protection and sentry mode and other vampire losses sucked the remaining range from 215 miles or so when I parked to an uncomfortable 65 miles when I returned to pick up the car. If the solar roof does nothing more than give me protection against large vampire losses, I will be pretty darn happy I have it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Just back from a 10 day vacation and starting to re-think my previously negative view of the Ocean's solar roof. My view to date has been that the solar roof is a gimmick which will yield far too little energy to ever justify its cost. While that is certainly true on a dollars-and-cents basis, my Model 3 just spent ten days losing 15 miles a day of range (+/-) sitting in an airport parking lot. Cabin overheat protection and sentry mode and other vampire losses sucked the remaining range from 215 miles or so when I parked to an uncomfortable 65 miles when I returned to pick up the car. If the solar roof does nothing more than give me protection against large vampire losses, I will be pretty darn happy I have it.
Can't you put an EV into a more dormant state than this? I remember someone testing a Ford Lightning and a Rivian in an article for "vampire drain". The Mach E has basically no drain at all and the Rivian was very dramatic. I feel like it is silly that you can not control this if you know you are leaving the vehicle for several days, etc. Should be App control-able to boot.

·
Registered
Referral Code: 8Z0AXK ~60,000
1,137 Posts
I agree with @JDOcean
Minimally, you do not require the Cabin Overheat Protection function

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks, @BayouCityBob. I hadn't thought of it that way. I knew the economics of the solar panels didn't wash out, but figured the panels didn't hurt & was glad they are there. Now I am happier about them.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't you put an EV into a more dormant state than this? I remember someone testing a Ford Lightning and a Rivian in an article for "vampire drain". The Mach E has basically no drain at all and the Rivian was very dramatic. I feel like it is silly that you can not control this if you know you are leaving the vehicle for several days, etc. Should be App control-able to boot.
Yes, you can turn off this stuff (I have them normally set for on so it did not occur to me to do that) and I would much rather my vehicle had sentry mode on especially when I am leaving it in a long-term parking lot. That seems to be the biggest source of power consumption. Keeping the cabin at 105 degrees is not nearly so power hungry as the frequent wake-ups that occur with sentry in a public lot.

I suppose with the Ocean I will also save $3 a day because I will book an uncovered spot to take advantage of the solar roof. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
my Model 3 just spent ten days losing 15 miles a day of range (+/-) sitting in an airport parking lot
other vampire losses sucked the remaining range from 215 miles or so when I parked to an uncomfortable 65 miles when I returned to pick up the car
sure the valet parking staff has nothing to do with that?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sure the valet parking staff has nothing to do with that?
Lol. I did not valet the car. One of those airport lots where you self-park and the little van picks you up and takes you to the terminal.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR | 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
568 Posts
That is the same reason I am looking forward to the solar roof. I don't use overheat protection as it is just a kWh suck but do use Sentry Mode and will pre-condition (I always turn it on when I get to the 18th tee box). It's annoying when you get to the car and the car lost significant charge from when you parked it. I don't expect much from the solar roof but figure it will offset the vampire/pre-conditioning losses.

·
Registered
293 Posts
This has always been my impression of the usefulness of the solar sky roof. If i can minimize range degradation from vampire bleeds, ie cabin temp control, battery preconditioning, even various lighting or temp/comfort systems while car is in operation, than it more than pays for itself.

·
Registered
2013 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG w/ Performance Package | 2018 Audi SQ5 Techik
25 Posts
@BayouCityBob -- we should really tag this conversation... I am sure a few years from now... some of us will remember this convo on how useless we think the solar sunroof was and how we can't live without it or can't fathom not having it as a standard years down the road....

·
Registered
294 Posts
Uber is your answer. Why take a model 3 to the airport and make it sit there exposed to the sun? At least park in covered parking. Uber has fixed rates to the airport. I left my Kia Sorento twice at the airport for 6 weeks, and it killed the $350 battery twice. Since then, I take Uber to/from the airport and leave the car in the garage.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Uber is your answer. Why take a model 3 to the airport and make it sit there exposed to the sun? At least park in covered parking. Uber has fixed rates to the airport. I left my Kia Sorento twice at the airport for 6 weeks, and it killed the $350 battery twice. Since then, I take Uber to/from the airport and leave the car in the garage.
Anything more than a week for me it makes $$ sense to Uber/Lyft rather than park. Unless i am getting in late at night and i just dont want to deal with the rideshare queue or chat up a driver for 30 minutes 😂

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
$$ Break even for Uber is 11 days. Of course, riding in an Uber sucks. So that bumps it to at least 14 days.

• Haha
Reactions: TT97 and SeaPhil4

·
Registered
294 Posts
Are you factoring in exposing Model 3 to the sun for days on end and also risking someone breaking in or smashing into it? I would pay a few extra bucks just to avoid much more expensive potential damage either by heat or my some bozo keying it or hitting it while parking, opening a door on it, etc.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you factoring in exposing Model 3 to the sun for days on end and also risking someone breaking in or smashing into it? I would pay a few extra bucks just to avoid much more expensive potential damage either by heat or my some bozo keying it or hitting it while parking, opening a door on it, etc.
Well it’s covered parking and 24/7 security at The Parking Spot which is where I normally park. But for you the Uber may be a better answer. For me I prefer to keep my car there when it is a week or less.

Reactions: KMBrown

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR | 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
568 Posts
Well it’s covered parking and 24/7 security at The Parking Spot which is where I normally park. But for you the Uber may be a better answer. For me I prefer to keep my car there when it is a week or less.
If it's covered, you can't take advantage of the solar roof!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts