Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts

Probably some newer products since this was written, but a good way to start thinking about the question.

This'll be my first electric, too.

·
Registered
Referral Code: 8Z0AXK ~60,000
1,155 Posts
@probrien44
I’m partial to the Tesla home charger
Here’s a new Tesla home charger
available for any EV

Reactions: Roland

·
Registered
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
501 Posts
For people who this would be their first ev. What would be good home charging options for the Ocean
Strong advice: do not buy a home charger at all. Just install a NEMA 14-50 plug. Wait and see what sort of mobile charging block comes with the Ocean. Chances are this will charge at 32 Amp or 40 Amp (~30+ miles per hour). If it does not, then you can buy one of the 32 or 40 amp mobile chargers which will be better to take on trips anyway. The separate home chargers are a waste of money. Four years after getting my Tesla I leave the mobile charger hooked up in the garage where it can deliver 30+ miles per hour on the NEMA 14-50. I unplug and take it with me on road trips. We also have an permanently wired charger for our other EV and it is basically a waste of money and actually charges slight slower than the free mobile charger on the 14-50 plug.

·
Registered
2013 BMW X3 - Reserved
42 Posts
For people who this would be their first ev. What would be good home charging options for the Ocean
This year at CES Wallbox (makes a great level 2 home charger) introduced their NAm version of their Quasar 2 that allows VEH to home charging as well as level 2 charging. This is a feature Fisker has built into the Ocean. By next year the Quasar 2 should be available.

·
Registered
2013 BMW X3 - Reserved
42 Posts
If you do end up buying a home charger, I would suggest you watch video reviews by Tom Molougheny on You Tube. He has reviewed most of the popular chargers. I personally purchased the Wallbox Pulsar 2.
[/QUOTE

Wallbox or Charge point would be my choice. And yes have watched many of his reviews. The Wallbox Quasar 2 is supposed to go into production Q4. Excited to see how that works with V2H.

·
Registered
40 Posts
One surprise I had, was that you need to make sure you have room in your breaker box / electrical panel for another 30+ amp circuit. I didn’t even hear this question anywhere until after I had purchased the charger. It turned out to be fine, I had a 200 amp panel with room but didn’t know this until the electrician called before the appointment and wanted a picture of the panel breakers before coming out.

Many places only have 100 amps total so breaker space might be tight. I’d find that out before buying anything.

·
Registered
40 Posts
2nd surprise which turned out not to be a big deal, was I bought a 50 amp charger because the car supported that, had the panel room, but because I have a licensed suite as the lower level of my house the max the electrician would install was 30 amps, by our electrical codes here.

30 amps charge rate has been plenty, never an issue for the past 3 years.

·
Registered
2013 BMW X3 - Reserved
42 Posts
One surprise I had, was that you need to make sure you have room in your breaker box / electrical panel for another 30+ amp circuit. I didn’t even hear this question anywhere until after I had purchased the charger. It turned out to be fine, I had a 200 amp panel with room but didn’t know this until the electrician called before the appointment and wanted a picture of the panel breakers before coming out.

Many places only have 100 amps total so breaker space might be tight. I’d find that out before buying anything.
With the circuits I had installed for my hot tub as well as our SunPower solar my box is full. Will look into tandem circuit breakers or if necessary a sub panel.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Last thought is I also recommend a wall charger, and with a long cable. It’s nice to have option to park either direction, either side if it’s a garage.

At the time I was also concerned because we have kids I didn’t want any chance they could mess around with a Nema socket. We’ve been happy with the fixed installation. You use it a lot so good if it’s robust.

·
Registered
Referral Code: 8Z0AXK ~60,000
1,155 Posts
@Roland
YES, I agree 100%

The 25 foot cable has been indispensable during the summer
when I park my Tesla on either side of the driveway.

Reactions: Roland

·
Registered
MB GLA, Reserved Ocean Ultra, Ocean Pear and BMW I4. Patience is a virtue!
613 Posts
I will probably have to move my wall panel bcs the cable only have 10' and the charger is not on the good side :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
I will probably have to move my wall panel bcs the cable only have 10' and the charger is not on the good side :(
Blurrgh ! 😅

Well the good news is once it's set up nice it should just sit there and pump electrons.

I'm going to need to revisit this as well, one of the reasons IIRC for originally wanting the 50 amp was so that it supported daisy chaining 2 chargers in case we got a 2nd EV in the future. The future is now oooff !

·
Registered
MB GLA, Reserved Ocean Ultra, Ocean Pear and BMW I4. Patience is a virtue!
613 Posts
Blurrgh ! 😅

Well the good news is once it's set up nice it should just sit there and pump electrons.

I'm going to need to revisit this as well, one of the reasons IIRC for originally wanting the 50 amp was so that it supported daisy chaining 2 chargers in case we got a 2nd EV in the future. The future is now oooff !
I see good call, there is chargers which can manage the power when two cars are plugged very cool.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.