Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per a rumor, ocean can be charged more than 250 kw with 400V system. This does not make sense because CCS2 charger is capped at 500A. So, max charging rate of CCS2 with 400V is max 200 kw only. To be 250 kw, it needs to be at least 500V. Therefore, Ocean should have 800V system or 150W to 180W max charging rate. This is slow-down travel time compared to MY, EV6, and IONIQ 5 and not latest battery technology if 400 v is correct. I hope a youtuber’s 400V claim is wrong.

·
Super Moderator
1,783 Posts
Per a rumor, ocean can be charged more than 250 kw with 400V system. This does not make sense because CCS2 charger is capped at 500A. So, max charging rate of CCS2 with 400V is max 200 kw only. To be 250 kw, it needs to be at least 500V. Therefore, Ocean should have 800V system or 150W to 180W max charging rate. This is slow-down travel time compared to MY, EV6, and IONIQ 5 and not latest battery technology if 400 v is correct. I hope a youtuber’s 400V claim is wrong.
Take anything anyone says with a grain of salt. Nobody has any info. All we know is it will be 250kW+

Personally, to me it doesn't make sense to have that low of a charging rate on a car that's trying to compete with the Y, Ioniq, and EV6. We'll know soon enough.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I don't think the marketed charging speed is based on what the current fast chargers offer but rather the actual capabilities of the vehicle. Tesla and Ford, Rivian, Polestar use 400V architectures. At the end of the day I don't think it will change your charging speeds to be dramatically different from those vehicles. Would 800V be nice to have. Absolutely. But for most people who intend to charge at home, not especially necessary.

·
Registered
Ocean One, NightDrive, MaliBlu
66 Posts
My understanding is Rivian, Mercedes EQS, Cadillac Lyriq, Hummer EV and BMW iX all uses 400v, I know Hyundai Ioniq5, Kia Ev6, Lucid and Porsche uses 800V and upcoming Polestar 3 is going to use 800v. I'm not too worried about 800V at this time. Personally this isn't a big deal for me as I will be charging 90% of the time at home. As long as they do good OTA and add features I will be happy.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I think it would be interesting if these future EVs were set up to do something like GM is doing where it switches to run half the pack in parallel to hit 800V for fast charging but runs normally at 400V. Even if not initially they had that ability if they needed to provide the update in the future.

·
Super Moderator
356 Posts
My understanding is Rivian, Mercedes EQS, Cadillac Lyriq, Hummer EV and BMW iX all uses 400v, I know Hyundai Ioniq5, Kia Ev6, Lucid and Porsche uses 800V and upcoming Polestar 3 is going to use 800v. I'm not too worried about 800V at this time. Personally this isn't a big deal for me as I will be charging 90% of the time at home. As long as they do good OTA and add features I will be happy.
I share your thoughts. As long as when I plug it in during the evening and it's ready for the next morning, the intervening speed won't matter to me for 99%+ of foreseeable uses done at home.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR | 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
859 Posts
I was thinking about the same thing. (Did you watch the EV6 vs Ocean video?) While they have yet to confirm if it is 400v or 800v, the car could still be capable of 250 kW on a 400 V system. Currently SAE caps CCS2 at 500A, however, they can always increase the specs in the future. Currently, EA only goes to 150 kW on 400 V and the 500A system are very rare. Assuming Tesla does open up their Superchargers, we should get 250 kW there. Last time I charged at a V3 station, it peaked at 677A (it was at about 370V for 250 kW).

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
1,255 Posts
Tesla doesn't use an 800V system and they can reach 250kW. But the max rate is not the major point for me. It's the charging slope. If it can maintain a high charging rate throughout most of the session (say 5-80%) that can make it quicker. A 180-200kW steady charging could be quicker than Tesla's 250kW that starts decreasing rapidly during the charging process.
Output device Communication Device Gadget Font Personal computer

Reactions: McMoo and HotIce

·
Registered
40 Posts
THe charging curve is what I am waiting on which we will not get that info until October. As I will have to rely on public charging station charging speed/curve is what I am looking at. Right now the fastest charging cars in my price range are IONIq 5, EV6, and Ocean if it can go deeper into the pack at a higher charge rate that will work for me. I think I have read somewhere that the Ocean was built on a 400v architecture but I do believe in the future it will move towards 800v or maybe the PEAR will be 800v.

·
Super Moderator
1,783 Posts
Tesla doesn't use an 800V system and they can reach 250kW. But the max rate is not the major point for me. It's the charging slope. If it can maintain a high charging rate throughout most of the session (say 5-80%) that can make it quicker. A 180-200kW steady charging could be quicker than Tesla's 250kW that starts decreasing rapidly during the charging process. View attachment 909
Exactly this. The thing that matters is how aggressive Fisker is going to be with the charging curve and how long it's going to hold the peak charging rate.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
1,255 Posts
I was referring to the OP's comment about the Ocean needing 500v to match the competition. The Ocean won't charge slower than the competition is the point I was trying to make.
I'm hoping our expectations aren't crushed if the numbers aren't as high as "promised". That goes for EPA range too. Crossing my fingers everything works out well.

Reactions: KMBrown and Danmark

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an EV6 and travel from NJ to MA several times a year. The charging speed has basically spoiled me. I could not accept a car that charged slower than this one now. My SOC went from 37% to 80% in just under 12 minutes on my last drive up, and it was just long enough to stretch my legs and post about my experience on the Kia EV forum. Sure I could survive 24 or even 30 minutes, but for the money (and I already have this car), I can't see myself going backward. Charging as fast as the EV6 does is the killer feature.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The only thing that kept me from getting an EV6 is they do not provide a charging cable for their vehicles. I mean not everyone owns a home or is able to put a EVSE in a garage so a charging cable that can trickle charge would be nice.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
1,255 Posts
The only thing that kept me from getting an EV6 is they do not provide a charging cable for their vehicles. I mean not everyone owns a home or is able to put a EVSE in a garage so a charging cable that can trickle charge would be nice.
There are plenty of portable EVSEs on Amazon for $200-400. The included charging cables are EVSEs.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR | 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
859 Posts
It seems as manufacturers are going away from providing charging units. The ID.4 only comes with a Level 1 10 amp charger which is useless except for the utmost emergencies. Tesla no longer supplies them as standard but they did drop the price to $200 for their mobile chargers (although they are never in stock). The Tesla mobile charger is great that you can purchase adapters to use on many different types of outlets. I am tempted to hold on to my Tesla mobile unit when I sell my 3 and use it with my TeslaTap adapter.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts