Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw that on fiskerati.

So if you order an ultra this week to lock in the tax credit, and later after the bill is signed when we learn more about the features on the various models, you realize you'll need an Extreme in order to get all the features you wanted, you'll have to cancel the Ultra, lose your $250, order an extreme, and lose the tax credit.

This sucks because we dont yet know what will be available on all trim levels. I really want autopilot-like self driving features. Will I be able to order that on the Ultra? We haven't been told. Fisker hasn't given us enough info to make a proper decision about what trim level to order. Not that big of a deal when you can change your selection, but pretty big deal when you're locked into it because of a $250 nonrefundable payment and the loss of a $7500 tax credit.

Another scenario - what if the end of 2023 approaches and they haven't started delivering Ultras yet? You need to take delivery in 2023 to secure the old tax credit, but you wont be able to bump up to an Extreme to do that. Most Ultras will be delivered in 2024 and will therefore lose the tax credit which is only being grandfathered for orders made before the bill is signed that can be delivered in 2022-2023.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR | 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
568 Posts

So if you order an ultra this week to lock in the tax credit, and later after the bill is signed when we learn more about the features on the various models, you realize you'll need an Extreme in order to get all the features you wanted, you'll have to cancel the Ultra, lose your $250, order an extreme, and lose the tax credit.

This sucks because we dont yet know what will be available on all trim levels. I really want autopilot-like self driving features. Will I be able to order that on the Ultra? We haven't been told. Fisker hasn't given us enough info to make a proper decision about what trim level to order. Not that big of a deal when you can change your selection, but pretty big deal when you're locked into it because of a $250 nonrefundable payment and the loss of a $7500 tax credit.

Another scenario - what if the end of 2023 approaches and they haven't started delivering Ultras yet? You need to take delivery in 2023 to secure the old tax credit, but you wont be able to bump up to an Extreme to do that. Most Ultras will be delivered in 2024 and will therefore lose the tax credit which is only being grandfathered for orders made before the bill is signed that can be delivered in 2022-2023.
There is no 2023 deadline so you can still get the credit even if you get the car in 2024, it will still be considered in service in 2022.

if you are still uncertain between the Ultra and Extreme; you can always get a second reservation for $100 and lock in the Extreme (that is the only trim left to lock in).

Reactions: slipnslider

·
Registered
446 Posts

Welp, the Ultra orders are closed it seems in the US for now so I guess if you did not convert, you should check to even see if it is an option. But they have been clear there will be an ADAS package available as an OTA update. So you probably don't have to worry about the driver assist stuff.

Font Magenta Screenshot Number Document

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welp, the Ultra orders are closed it seems in the US for now so I guess if you did not convert, you should check to even see if it is an option. But they have been clear there will be an ADAS package available as an OTA update. So you probably don't have to worry about the driver assist stuff.

View attachment 1270
Oh wow when did they close the orders?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no 2023 deadline so you can still get the credit even if you get the car in 2024, it will still be considered in service in 2022.

if you are still uncertain between the Ultra and Extreme; you can always get a second reservation for $100 and lock in the Extreme (that is the only trim left to lock in).
I'm pretty sure I saw part of the bill that says you can be grandfathered in if you ordered before the bill is signed but can't take delivery til 2023.

If you are saying it's IN SERVICE in 2022, does that mean you take the credit on your 2022 taxes, or when you take delivery in 2023 or 2024?

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR | 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
568 Posts
I'm pretty sure I saw part of the bill that says you can be grandfathered in if you ordered before the bill is signed but can't take delivery til 2023.

If you are saying it's IN SERVICE in 2022, does that mean you take the credit on your 2022 taxes, or when you take delivery in 2023 or 2024?
Here is the language from the latest version:

(l) TRANSITION RULE.—Solely for purposes of the application of section 30D of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, in the case of a taxpayer that—
(1) after December 31, 2021, and before the date of enactment of this Act, purchased, or entered into a written binding contract to purchase, a new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle (as defined in section 30D(d)(1) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as in effect on the day before the date of enactment of this Act), and
(2) placed such vehicle in service on or after the date of enactment of this Act, such taxpayer may elect (at such time, and in such form and manner, as the Secretary of the Treasury, or the Secretary’s delegate, may prescribe) to treat such vehicle as having been placed in service on the day before the date of enactment of this Act.

The way I interpret it (from a layman perspective), regardless of when we get the vehicle delivered, it will be considered "placed in service" the day before the enactment of the Act (so sometime in August/September 2022). We will therefore need to include it in the 2022 tax filings (Form 8936) so will likely need to file an amendment (Form 1040-X) to the filing once we get the car delivered. Even if you get the car in 2024, it would need to be included in the 2022 filing (you have 3 years to file an amendment from when you originally filed).

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yup…have to read a little. Even just the FAQ before one enters into an agreement. 🤷‍♂️

1 - 9 of 9 Posts