Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Interesting news. Good news. But they don't mention the Quasar model, which supports bi-directional charging. As with everything, need more info...

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR | 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
607 Posts
For now they are just refencing the Pulsar Plus which is their standard EVSE. I already have the Pulsar Plus which I am very happy with so will skip the Fisker model. Wallbox is coming out with the Quasar 2 (Bi-directional charger) in North America next year so wouldn't be surprised in Fisker partnered with them to offer the Quasar once it comes out.

Reactions: HotIce and Jay

·
Registered
319 Posts
For now they are just refencing the Pulsar Plus which is their standard EVSE. I already have the Pulsar Plus which I am very happy with so will skip the Fisker model. Wallbox is coming out with the Quasar 2 (Bi-directional charger) in North America next year so wouldn't be surprised in Fisker partnered with them to offer the Quasar once it comes out.
Are these Pulsar Plus units only available as direct wired to home, or do they have a plug and play option for a 14-50 outlet? I’d like the flexibility to take with me and not have to rely on an electrician.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
512 Posts
I have to say I am SUPER unimpressed with the wallbox. For $650 list (40A version) excluding install it is around 2x more than a comparable mobile charger.

Hopefully the bi-directional charger setup is something worthwhile when it becomes available.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Are these Pulsar Plus units only available as direct wired to home, or do they have a plug and play option for a 14-50 outlet? I’d like the flexibility to take with me and not have to rely on an electrician.
Yes the 40A is a 14-50 unit. But for my money, there are better options out there. Will see how much of a discount Fisker gets. I would not pay above $350 for this one.

Reactions: SeaPhil4

·
Registered
512 Posts
I haven't used one, so I'm curious to know why - if it's something beyond the cost. I was looking at them a year ago or so and I don't recall them having an electrical safety rating at that time, but it now looks like they're UL 2594 rated.
Fair question. It is not WallBox per se (other than price) but the wall charger category. Wallbox is a 40A NEMA 14-50 or a 48A hardwired for $650 or $700 respectively with a 25' cord. For under $400 I can get the same 40A 14-50 and it is a travel charger or I can get a travel charger with interchangeable dongles and a 32A, both with same 25' cord. So a Wallbox is a single use device with almost no performance advantage and at a 70% price premium. And worse, it comes with junk that does me zero good (wifi and bluetooth) that can break. The vehicle has all the connectivity and charging management I need. The EVSE does not need it.

Just my 2 cents. I wish Fisker had focused on high quality travel chargers and V2H solutions.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
If you want to get an idea how much Wallbox will charge for installation, go to the Coil website and get a quote. My personal feeling is that it will be much cheaper finding a local electrician to do the job. Coil will most likely use a local electrician anyway and tack their fee on top. Cut out the middleman.

Some people say that to avoid an "EV" tax just ask for a NEMA 14-50 with a 50 amp breaker for the garage and don't mention you have an electric car. It's for my air compressor or welder!

Residential | EV Charging Station At Home (coil.co)

·
Registered
258 Posts
So, Wallbox has also partnered with Nissan for the Ariya and customers will be getting a charger at a reduced price and installation. I doubt they discount the Quasar 2 though, lol.
Good to know. I haven't seen any discounts being offered by other brands save for GM with the Bolt but that was a pretty unique case. I am all for a discounted product. Hard to get over my initial skepticisms though :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you want to get an idea how much Wallbox will charge for installation, go to the Coil website and get a quote. My personal feeling is that it will be much cheaper finding a local electrician to do the job. Coil will most likely use a local electrician anyway and tack their fee on top. Cut out the middleman.

Some people say that to avoid an "EV" tax just ask for a NEMA 14-50 with a 50 amp breaker for the garage and don't mention you have an electric car. It's for my air compressor or welder!

Residential | EV Charging Station At Home (coil.co)
when you say “EV Tax”, you mean the electricians upcharge their fees because they know we need a charger and will pay whatever for it?
Yeah, sounds about right. I had a guy quote me $985 to install 3 normal outlets in my house, 1 was GCI, the other two were regular and all 3 were to be installed on walls literally on the side opposite an existing outlet. So all they would do was punch a hole, install a box on the stud, slave off the existing outlet and put on a faceplate. No running wires, no circuit work. I suspected it would be a bad quote when he kept commenting how “nice” my home was and how big the houses were in my subdivision…

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
when you say “EV Tax”, you mean the electricians upcharge their fees because they know we need a charger and will pay whatever for it?
Yeah, sounds about right. I had a guy quote me $985 to install 3 normal outlets in my house, 1 was GCI, the other two were regular and all 3 were to be installed on walls literally on the side opposite an existing outlet. So all they would do was punch a hole, install a box on the stud, slave off the existing outlet and put on a faceplate. No running wires, no circuit work. I suspected it would be a bad quote when he kept commenting how “nice” my home was and how big the houses were in my subdivision…
Yes, some call it the "Tesla Tax" too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts