Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Volvo S60 Referral M37TH5
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The author brings up an interesting point about the PEAR.
"Customers that buy the Ocean are likely to receive a quality product reliant upon Magna International’s strong pedigree. When the PEAR is released in 2024 there’s no telling what to expect.
Foxconn is famous for making iPhones, not vehicles. This is a completely new venture for the firm. If that makes you wonder aloud why Fisker chose Foxconn, you wouldn’t be the first.
"

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't have any interest in buying a Pear, but I'm sure curious about the design and specs.

All I can say about the joint venture with Foxconn is I don't think Henrik is a fool and wouldn't do business with a company he doesn't have confidence in. Also, this isn't the first time Foxconn has been linked to auto manufacturing (though nothing produced yet to my knowledge). They are also working with Lordstown Motors on their electric pickup.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I find the author writing from a somewhat naive approach that Fisker is only a car company. Have seen this same perspective from so many critics now, it's lazy writing. Fisker is part Car, and part Tech. The PEAR shows us the pendulum swung more to the side of Tech, or at least balancing risk there.

Supply Chain
GM didn't cut production due to car parts, they cut due to chips i.e. Tech. Want to find a company that knows now to keep a Tech manufacturing pipeline running .. that's Foxconn. Not just chips though, vertical integration.

Computers with Wheels
EVs are not so far from a solid state device. My Model 3 in a lot of ways is more like a Macbook Pro than my first car, a Chevelle Laguna. Tightly integrated electro-mechanical systems that consider power, cooling, strength, and durability is what Foxconn brings. And they don't need to create every part to be named as the primary integrator / manufacturer so the gearbox and motors might come from elsewhere, it probably doesn't matter.

·
Registered
Referral Code: 8Z0AXK 45,600+
716 Posts
Imho, Fisker partnership with Foxconn Industries is a master stroke!

Electrek’s Take
Like Geely, Foxconn seems to be making all the right moves, looking forward at an evolving industry and looking to leverage its strengths as an assembler and contractor to, potentially, begin assembling cars for its tech clients, which include Google, Amazon, and Apple.

As for Lordstown, there have been so many promises going into and coming out of that factory over the years that we have to take anything they say with a pinch pound of salt. The only reason this bit of news feels different? It’s Foxconn who said it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Why Foxconn? Oct 11, 2021 Foxconn's first electric car spotted.

"Last year, it had developed a platform of open-source hardware and software for EV manufacturing and was working to develop a solid-state battery by 2024."

Look, I think someone only did half of their homework well 😁

·
Registered
122 Posts
Imho, Fisker partnership with Foxconn Industries is a master stroke!

Electrek’s Take
As for Lordstown, there have been so many promises going into and coming out of that factory over the years that we have to take anything they say with a pinch pound of salt.
Remember the Chevy Vega.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts