Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Wheel Car

Henrik Fisker shared on LinkedIn that they have shipped 3 cars to the US to begin testing for their FI-Pilot system.

He also confirmed that production is scheduled to begin on November 17.

Water Sky Vehicle Water resources Plant

·
Super Moderator
1,177 Posts
Fantastic news. On the Investors pdf, it says FI Pilot will be level two but Magna claims that their HD Radar system allows for level 4/5 autonomy. I am hoping that we see it through software updates.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
935 Posts
Personally, I don't really care for any automation higher than level 2. Just have the ADAS work well at level 2. Smooth acceleration/braking, no phantom braking, no lane center bobbing, no false lane movement due to exits, etc.

·
Registered
2012 Volvo S60 Referral M37TH5
742 Posts
Personally, I don't really care for any automation higher than level 2. Just have the ADAS work well at level 2. Smooth acceleration/braking, no phantom braking, no lane center bobbing, no false lane movement due to exits, etc.
I would never use full automation (I'm too old to ever feel that comfortable letting a car do all of the work) but there still seems to be advantages, like better separation of objects, better at seeing in certain lighting conditions, seeing objects farther away, etc. For me, this is another safety feature. I'm talking about the new digital radar versus what's in vehicles right now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Even if there were some percentage of cars that can do full automation, I don't know how safe I would feel, completely letting my guard down while a much larger percentage of all cars on the road are still being controlled by people.

On that front, I'm not too surprised that cars equipped with radar, adaptive cruise control, and can control steering; could be capable of level 4/5. The real challenge has always been to develop reliable enough command (software) that can cover all the corner cases of... what to do in the event of this or that.

So, I'd love to have a car with basic adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist... I'm glad to hear that there are some Cities are allowing limited testing of driverless taxis.. but I don't expect any car I own in the next 10 years to have anywhere near full automation.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR | 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
568 Posts
Could someone please reply to this thread breaking down/enumerating all the Levels and what they can do, please?
Like this?
Font Parallel Rectangle Electric blue Number

Pretty much all advanced cars are at Level 2. Level 3 in my opinion is dangerous as it can ask you to take over at any time when you are not paying attention. Level 4 or 5 are really what needs to be achieved. Level 4 makes the most sense as it will be extremely hard to have autonomous driving "everywhere in all conditions" (i.e. off road, blizzards, etc.)

·
Registered
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
491 Posts
Just to whine about the SAE levels... The entire nomenclature is poorly thought out and deeply confusing to the public (just like the SAEs equally confusing nomenclature on charging which is... wait for it ... Level 1, Level 2, Level 3...). But it looks like we are stuck with it and the public and regulators will remain confused and confounded for years to come. I would call it Level 5 confusion.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Just to whine about the SAE levels... The entire nomenclature is poorly thought out and deeply confusing to the public (just like the SAEs equally confusing nomenclature on charging which is... wait for it ... Level 1, Level 2, Level 3...). But it looks like we are stuck with it and the public and regulators will remain confused and confounded for years to come. I would call it Level 5 confusion.
You may want to up your level of confusion… 😁

·
Registered
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
491 Posts
You may want to up your level of confusion… 😁

SAE Confusion only goes to Level 5 which means "This confusion reigns under all conditions." It is the same as Level 4 Confusion, but you are confused everywhere in all conditions. Both Level 4 and Level 3 Confusion happens in limited conditions and, as will be obvious, "clarity is not present unless all required conditions are met." (n.b. the "required conditions" may vary from person to person and time to time and are not defined in the SAE Confusion Level nomenclature.)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Wait, the car comes out in 3 months and they're just starting to test the self driving capability? Ok fingers crossed I guess.

I dont care about full self driving until it can legally drive me home drunk in the backseat. Until then all I need is really good adaptive cruise control and lane keeping at all speeds. Auto lane change would be nice, but not a necessity.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Wait, the car comes out in 3 months and they're just starting to test the self driving capability? Ok fingers crossed I guess.

I dont care about full self driving until it can legally drive me home drunk in the backseat. Until then all I need is really good adaptive cruise control and lane keeping at all speeds. Auto lane change would be nice, but not a necessity.
Don't worry, it will be available in 3 months maybe, 6 month definitely.
Font Screenshot Rectangle Software Multimedia

I don't know if that tweet aged well...

·
Registered
446 Posts
I think it is safe to say that automated driving will be the evolution of our daily transportation. There are so many pluses. It will allow us to do things while commuting so commuting is less impactful on our day. It will reduce the amount of accidents. It will remove the stress of road rage so it would improve our psychological well-being. We have talked about flying cars since the dawn of the automobile. It will be the path to flying (VTOL) style cars (think big drone that carries people) that will take off and land on city skyscrapers.

That being said, it is 30-40 years away from the picture painted above. It may be more mainstream in about 25 years but there will be generations 40 years from now that will never learn to drive, have no need to and don't even really have the option to. We are at the dawn of this stuff and it has a LONG way to go. Elon, is either overly optimistic about his own product or delusional. This is the same guy that said he would put cold thrust rockets on the Roadster (SpaceX package), lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts