Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Referral Code: 8Z0AXK 56,000+
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Elon Musk announced this week Tesla intention to open its Supercharger network to all other EV's

This is great news to all EV owners willing to pay, probably a premium, to charge their own EV on the Tesla SC network

This was my only reluctance to embrace and buy/lease another manufacturer's EV.
Now, when my wife and I road trip, the Ocean will use the Tesla SC's

·
Registered
MB GLA, Reserved Ocean Ultra, Ocean Pear and BMW I4
535 Posts
Elon Musk announced this week Tesla intention to open its SuperchRger network
to all other EV's

This is great news to all EV owners willing to pay, probably a premium, to charge
their own EV on the Tesla SC network

My wife has a Smart electric 2019 and me a MB GLA 2016, for short shopping around the house we use the Smart, so funny car not expensive. The Ocean will replace the MB for large rides, oh ye :cool:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Baker,
Great to see you upgrade from Mercedes Benz to Fisker!
I get the feeling more & more MB, BMW & Audi car owners are realizing that the expensive
German OEM's have much to be desired! (not good enough)

·
Registered
535 Posts
@Baker,
I get the feeling more & more MB, BMW & Audi car owners are realizing that the expensive
You know I love my MB but Ocean will be so much beautyful and full Electric. It is so long before the launch! I am pretty sure that the exterior will be closely like the prototype but I am not about the interior, many manufacturer have choose the multimedia screen horizontally fixed with the cluster. We will see in three months.

·
Registered
535 Posts
@Baker,
Do you think that the ones with a reservation in Canada will get their car in 2023? What's your thinking?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tesla has opened up its Supecharger network to non-Tesla owners in the Netherlands!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Do you think that the ones with a reservation in Canada will get their car in 2023? What's your thinking?
I do. I think we may be last in order of deliveries per trim, but I think the Ones and Extreme trims will all be delivered in Canada. I'll be looking for an Ultra, but I'm in the camp that thinks they will start producing those by May or June.
I don't think more than half of the reservations will be Extreme/One. So let's speculate, 80k reservations get made (high side), 10% attrition (reasonable? low?) , Half means 36k. Those are made in 6 months at 6000 per month. Then we are onto the Ultra by June. Just my napkin math.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
752 Posts
I just want to say that opening up the Supercharger network in Europe is trivial in comparison to the US. Europe uses the CCS2 standard for all cars now. In the US, there will need to be adapters for both the Tesla->CCS1 and be tested with dozens of EVs. It's a lot more work. At some point, Tesla can convert the Supercharger plugs to CCS1, but I don't see that happening for years.

Reactions: voxel

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@MTN Ranger
At some point, Tesla can convert the Supercharger plugs to CCS1, but I don't see that happening for years.
Whatever happened to the FIVE Billion Dollar EV charger infrastructure bill?
Couldn’t these monies be used to expand to Tesla SC network to non-Tesla EV drivers?

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR | 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
383 Posts
@MTN Ranger

Whatever happened to the FIVE Billion Dollar EV charger infrastructure bill?
Couldn’t these monies be used to expand to Tesla SC network to non-Tesla EV drivers?
Apparently, if Texas is any indication; it's a s*&% show. Tesla requested funding in Texas and was denied as all the funds have been allocated already (mostly to gas stations in "worst locations")...

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's an article I just came across. America's EV Charging Network Is Exploding
Thx @baydreamer
quote from the article you posted
Kudos to VW
“Electrify America, a subsidiary of Volkswagen, has been a key player in this race for EV charging coverage and plans to have over 10,000 chargers operating in the US by 2025.”

Why is the USA ignoring the “elephant in the room?”

Meanwhile, Tesla, which still offers one of the largest global charging networks, is opening up its infrastructure to other brands (alas not yet in the USA) in a move to consolidate the market….

·
Registered
98 Posts
Elon Musk announced this week Tesla intention to open its Supercharger network to all other EV's

This is great news to all EV owners willing to pay, probably a premium, to charge their own EV on the Tesla SC network

When was this announced? And this includes the US?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Heynowirv

The US Federal government gives the US States $5,000,000,000 (Five Billion dollars)
to expand the EV charging network.
For example, Texas got $6 Million out of $615 Million allocated (10% of all funds)
but decided, in their infinite wisdom, to fund only petrol station EV chargers!

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
752 Posts
"Soon" from Tesla could be 2 weeks or 2 years. Read anything about FSD.

But seriously, it is fairly easy for Tesla to open up the Supercharger network in Europe since they all share the same CCS2 infrastructure. However in North America, the Superchargers will need to be modified to accommodate either 1) a second cable and CCS plug (longer since the Tesla cables are too short for other EVs) 2) some sort of adapter from Tesla to CCS. Either will take time and money to spread to the 10s of thousands of individual stalls. EV drivers just need to pay via the Tesla app to charge. No payment mechanism or displays are needed on the stations. As a user of superchargers for four years, they are incredibly easy to use and are rarely broken down. Since they usually have 8 to 20 stalls, one broken one isn't that big of a deal.

Reactions: voxel

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
@MTN Ranger
In North America, the Superchargers will need to be modified to accommodate either 1) a second cable and CCS plug (longer since the Tesla cables are too short for other EVs) 2) some sort of adapter from Tesla to CCS.
I fully agree!
LetTesla shout out, "Show me the Money!" and the SC network
can easily to adapted to accept the growing EV fleet.
But stop the games that states like Texas are playing to exclude the Tesla SC network

·
Registered
98 Posts
@Heynowirv

The US Federal government gives the US States $5,000,000,000 (Five Billion dollars)
to expand the EV charging network.
For example, Texas got $6 Million out of $615 Million allocated (10% of all funds)
but decided, in their infinite wisdom, to fund only petrol station EV chargers!

That's Texas for you'll,

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 25 Posts