Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have held an Ocean reservation since May 2021 (estimated ~14000th reservation). Early this week Fisker announced a policy to allow reservations to be converted to hard Pre- Orders to help with the imminent potential loss of qualifying for the US Federal $7500 tax credit. Fisker indicated that this policy would be available only until the House of Representatives had voted and the President signed it into law.

Prior to either of these legislative actions being performed, on Thursday 8/11/2022, I decided to convert my reservation to a Pre-Order (for an Ultra). When I went online to the Fisker site I was shocked to see that Fisker had declared that all pre-orders for the Sport and Ultra had been stopped and only the Extreme was still available for pre-Ordering.

What does this have to do with the stated purpose of the new policy that Fisker claimed was to help ALL reservation holders to have a shot at keeping the tax credit that was going to expire if new legislation were to be enacted? No vote had yet taken place in the House and certainly we were still days away from any Presidential signature to enact a new law.

Only those who have deeper pockets for an Extreme can still take advantage of possible tax savings and everyone else (regardless of whether we have been waiting for over a year or have gotten in line 40,000 reservations before others who just may have waltzed in this week, grabbed a reservation and then immediately converted to a pre-order and are now the only ones "guaranteed" to have a chance at tax savings and, equally important, have apparently taken priority in their delivery/manufacturing dates since those with pre-orders must have their Oceans both a) pre-Ordered before the new law takes effect and b) manufactured and/or delivered prior to the end of 2023 - the latter would bump others down and move us to the "back of the SUV".

This is NOT FAIR and, frankly, in my opinion, not a wise move with which to build confidence in the Fisker organization.

Especially since there IS capacity for Fisker to still take pre-orders and build $69,000 Extremes for 2023 delivery but not for $50,000 Ultras or Sports? I understand the business, profit and greed incentives in pulling the plug on the promised pre-orderability period for Ultra and Sport reservation conversion. It is a way to try and make reservation holders to buy the highest priced and most profitable model. However, it will backfire in the long run and even the short run since we are still dealing with an entity with no public retail address other than a website and we have only Fisker's word to go on - and reneging on such word within a matter of 4 days is not trustworthy. Stopping the pre-order program without warning (we had tons of "warnings" that the exclusive Ocean One would sell out in just a few days, then a week, then it actually took almost an entire month to sell 5000 units) while even on the day that the "$7500 "tax incentive preservation" pre-order conversion program pulled its plug on most reservation holders Fisker was still sending out e-mails about the program with no warning that later that day they would not be sticking to their original promise of offering pre-order converting up until any new legislation is voted on and signed into law. It appears rather transparent to me that this whole 5 day "offer" was primarily a way to try and increase higher profit vehicle sales and not much about helping loyal and patient Fisker reservation (and, in many cases, stock) holders to be able to afford their chosen EV dream car and what had been our favorite Fisker brand.

The right thing to do at this point would be to OPEN UP THE REMAINING EXTREME PRE-ORDER AVAILABILITY SLOTS AND OFFER THEM IMMEDIATELY ACCORDING TO THE TIMELINE OF RECEIVED RESERVATIONS FOR ANY OCEAN MODEL -and to do this without delay a) before the new law becomes enacted and b) to restore our rightful place in the 2023 delivery cue as well as confidence in our EV choice.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have held an Ocean reservation since May 2021 (estimated ~14000th reservation). Early this week Fisker announced a policy to allow reservations to be converted to hard Pre- Orders to help with the imminent potential loss of qualifying for the US Federal $7500 tax credit. Fisker indicated that this policy would be available only until the House of Representatives had voted and the President signed it into law.

Prior to either of these legislative actions being performed, on Thursday 8/11/2022, I decided to convert my reservation to a Pre-Order (for an Ultra). When I went online to the Fisker site I was shocked to see that Fisker had declared that all pre-orders for the Sport and Ultra had been stopped and only the Extreme was still available for pre-Ordering.

What does this have to do with the stated purpose of the new policy that Fisker claimed was to help ALL reservation holders to have a shot at keeping the tax credit that was going to expire if new legislation were to be enacted? No vote had yet taken place in the House and certainly we were still days away from any Presidential signature to enact a new law.

Only those who have deeper pockets for an Extreme can still take advantage of possible tax savings and everyone else (regardless of whether we have been waiting for over a year or have gotten in line 40,000 reservations before others who just may have waltzed in this week, grabbed a reservation and then immediately converted to a pre-order and are now the only ones "guaranteed" to have a chance at tax savings and, equally important, have apparently taken priority in their delivery/manufacturing dates since those with pre-orders must have their Oceans both a) pre-Ordered before the new law takes effect and b) manufactured and/or delivered prior to the end of 2023 - the latter would bump others down and move us to the "back of the SUV".

This is NOT FAIR and, frankly, in my opinion, not a wise move with which to build confidence in the Fisker organization.

Especially since there IS capacity for Fisker to still take pre-orders and build $69,000 Extremes for 2023 delivery but not for $50,000 Ultras or Sports? I understand the business, profit and greed incentives in pulling the plug on the promised pre-orderability period for Ultra and Sport reservation conversion. It is a way to try and make reservation holders to buy the highest priced and most profitable model. However, it will backfire in the long run and even the short run since we are still dealing with an entity with no public retail address other than a website and we have only Fisker's word to go on - and reneging on such word within a matter of 4 days is not trustworthy. Stopping the pre-order program without warning (we had tons of "warnings" that the exclusive Ocean One would sell out in just a few days, then a week, then it actually took almost an entire month to sell 5000 units) while even on the day that the "$7500 "tax incentive preservation" pre-order conversion program pulled its plug on most reservation holders Fisker was still sending out e-mails about the program with no warning that later that day they would not be sticking to their original promise of offering pre-order converting up until any new legislation is voted on and signed into law. It appears rather transparent to me that this whole 5 day "offer" was primarily a way to try and increase higher profit vehicle sales and not much about helping loyal and patient Fisker reservation (and, in many cases, stock) holders to be able to afford their chosen EV dream car and what had been our favorite Fisker brand.

The right thing to do at this point would be to OPEN UP THE REMAINING EXTREME PRE-ORDER AVAILABILITY SLOTS AND OFFER THEM IMMEDIATELY ACCORDING TO THE TIMELINE OF RECEIVED RESERVATIONS FOR ANY OCEAN MODEL -and to do this without delay a) before the new law becomes enacted and b) to restore our rightful place in the 2023 delivery cue as well as confidence in our EV choice.
You should be writing to Fisker Inc. Not much we can do for you here except agree/disagree with you. They have a production plan and they know this is going to disappoint people but they chose to front-load Extreme builds. They have been clear as to why as well, which is to get a start-up on the best financial footing as possible. Hitting us with a wall of text is not going to change that.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Fisker is in contract with Magna to build a certain number of cars for 2023. Although I would like them to start building Ultras earlier, they are on the hook, based on their business model and other factors, to build a certain number of Extremes. They have to pull the plug at some point if they are to build any Extremes for 2023. With this demand, they could have easily sold out all 50K as only Ultras and Sports from the USA alone when Fisker sent the email on Sunday. They are also on the hook to supply Oceans to other countries. The USA only gets a slice of the 50K units to be built in 2023.
I'm sorry you missed the cut-off. For all those that missed the cut-off, don't bail yet, as I believe things may change soon. Things are starting to accelerate, and I wouldn't be surprised if they find a way to increase capacity and open it up again.

Welcome to the forum, and hopefully, you stick around.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You should be writing to Fisker Inc. Not much we can do for you here except agree/disagree with you. They have a production plan and they know this is going to disappoint people but they chose to front-load Extreme builds. They have been clear as to why as well, which is to get a start-up on the best possible footing financially as possible. Hitting us with a wall of text is not going to change that.
I believe this is similar to the Ocean One pre-order allocation (5000) that they have an allocation (unknown?) of Ultra & Sport for the US, but instead of allowing a certain reservation range at a time they allow all to pre-order until bill signing or sold out. It just happened that Ultra & Sport got sold out faster than One.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The email that they sent you a week ago made it pretty clear that there was a limited amount of Ultras and Sports:

"It is anticipated that Fisker Ocean Extreme trim vehicles will begin US deliveries in late July 2023, while Ultra and Sport deliveries will begin in October 2023. Ultra and Sport trims will be produced in limited volumes in 2023 as Ocean One and Ocean Extreme production and deliveries are prioritized."

When things are in limited supply and high demand, they tend to sell out...

·
Registered
121 Posts

They can only manufacture X number of vehicles and they hit their allocation = sales closed. 🧮

Pretty easy. They predict they cannot deliver any more vehicles in 2023 that would be eligible for the tax credit so why take orders from them? Makes total sense to me. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
8 Posts

Agreed.....I decided to cancel my reservation because of this rush to confirm order. I understand the reason but there are still way too many unknowns for my liking. Good luck everyone.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, it is unfortunate that it played out this way. Is it likely to change soon? Probably not. If anyone has a problem with the situation, blame it on the inept new law. It basically forced Fisker's hand to make these moves, in order to at least preserve the tax credit for more than 5000 of their customers. They should be applauded for trying. I agree with the OPs position that it isn't fair, but it is the way it is.

The moment I was aware of the situation, and I had been following the Inflation Reduction Act since it was floated, I was wondering how Fisker was going to handle this. The moment I knew what they were going to do, I had my gf convert to a pre-order for an Ultra. I'm thankful that I paid attention. Problem for us now is that she might need a new car sooner than it can get delivered. Thinking a two year lease on a CX-5, so we will still get the Ultra, but the milage limits on a lease might be an issue.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes, it is unfortunate that it played out this way. Is it likely to change soon? Probably not. If anyone has a problem with the situation, blame it on the inept new law. It basically forced Fisker's hand to make these moves, in order to at least preserve the tax credit for more than 5000 of their customers. They should be applauded for trying. I agree with the OPs position that it isn't fair, but it is the way it is.

The moment I was aware of the situation, and I had been following the Inflation Reduction Act since it was floated, I was wondering how Fisker was going to handle this. The moment I knew what they were going to do, I had my gf convert to a pre-order for an Ultra. I'm thankful that I paid attention. Problem for us now is that she might need a new car sooner than it can get delivered. Thinking a two year lease on a CX-5, so we will still get the Ultra, but the milage limits on a lease might be an issue.
Same thing here…Ordered a ONE, but followed the legislation and once Fisker opened up the other reservation for a conversion I also ordered an Ultra (I would have probably gotten 2 ONEs if offered, but this will do). If nothing else, I may only have it a short time…. Good to keep options open, plus I am sure someone may want it; just maybe…Keeping the tax credit option open one more year….I won’t qualify after that unfortunately.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts