Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here to the forum, but wanted to put this out there with regard to the PEAR. What background and experience does Foxconn have in making cars, and what is the predictability that their learning curve will be sufficient enough to not give us a bunch of lemons instead of PEARS?

I love my iPhone and always thought Apple's simplicity and elegancy of design was bar none. But putting together a small phone or other tech device vis a vehicle is quite a bit different. I know the design philosophy is the same - minimizing the number of parts and keeping things simple, but this sure will be interesting.

That was the tension I had in turning my reservation for an Ocean into an order. I know Magna Steyr can make good high-end vehicles, but even ordering a Sport I didn't know the unrevealed pricing of the options I would want...paint color and winter package to start, and others that may be available - and then the destination fee (getting more expensive by the day to ship things). In the end I didn't pull the trigger, figuring my $37,499 Ocean Sport would easily become a $45K vehicle once everything was said and done.

So, I am taking my chances on the PEAR and very interested in any information anyone has on Foxconn manufacturing and how ready they are to actually to this. I think the Ocean will do fine and be delivered on-time to many satisfied customers, but could see delay after delay plaguing the PEAR to the point of changing manufacturers or cancelling reservations altogether. Many say the success of the Ocean is Fisker's most significant test, but I say it's the PEAR - and the company will sink or swim on how well it executes that vehicle.

· Registered
642 Posts
Here is what we know:

Foxconn revealed it's intention to build vehicle back in October of 2021. They showed some prototypes and touted an electric vehicle platform. There are videos to watch if interested:

Since then they have even released more information about their vehicle platform and supporting technologies:

Foxconn bought the Ohio manufacturing plant from Lordstown (EV pickup start-up) which was originally built and sold by GM. Lordstown realized they were in over their heads and struck a deal with Foxconn to buy the plant and make the trucks for them. Foxconn is contracted to make these pickups and will probably be doing so before any other vehicles.

Foxconn is planning on tooling up for a 2024 SoP for the PEAR (name subject to change though I did enjoy your lemon joke).

Foxconn recently announced that they are planning to manufacture tractors:

So there are a lot of moving parts here. The good news is that it looks like they may have some practice before they get to actually manufacturing the PEAR.

· Registered
322 Posts
I'm with you. Not much confidence in a phone maker's first attempt at a car. So many things they've never had to deal with before - road noise, rattles, suspensions, drive feel, cushions and seating surfaces... they have to get it all just right. If they succeed, fisker will soar, if they make too many rookie mistakes, fisker will crash and burn. I even have concerns about the Ocean because the first generation of Magna's iPace had a lot of problems.

· Registered
2012 Volvo S60 Referral M37TH5
829 Posts
I wouldn't order a PEAR, at least at first, because Foxconn is an inexperienced auto manufacturer. I'm afraid that there will be some learning on the job, unlike Magna. I hope that I'm wrong of course. The PEAR looks really interesting.

· Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR | 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
1,031 Posts
Not much point comparing the design of the iPhone vs design of the PEAR as Foxconn isn't designing either one. Foxconn does have a strong track record of assembling products; while no one is comparing phones to automobiles; there are processes that carry over. Thankfully, the PEAR will not be their first attempt to assemble a car. Before the PEAR, they will already be assembling the Lordstown Endurance and the tractor. By the time they start will the PEAR, they will already have been assembling vehicles by close to two years.

· Registered
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
1,063 Posts
To be fair, Foxconn / Hon Hai makes phones, televisions, game consoles, computers, servers, networking equipment, and a bunch of automotive electronics. Still a long way from large machines, but they do have a reasonably broad array of products that they manufacture.

In 2020 they established a joint venture company (Foxconn is majority owner) with Yulon motors, the Taiwanese auto manufacturer that makes lots of vehicles for Nissan and other brands for the Taiwanese and other markets. Additionally, last year Foxconn established another JV focused on contract vehicle manufacturing with Geely (company that makes Polestar, Volvo, and Lotus among others). Geely already owns a significant auto plant in the US in South Carolina that makes Volvos and soon Polestars. The public press on this is not clear, but it is my bet that the JV with Geely is the company that is operating Lordstown (after all, that was the entire purpose of the JV).

IOW, I think there is more to the Foxconn vehicle play at Lordstown than first meets the eye.

· Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
1,451 Posts
BTW, GM will be making Honda's EV drivetrain and battery packs (Ultium). The first is the Proloque.

· Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
1,451 Posts
Yes, it's practically the same car with a slightly different front and rear end. Honda had to do something, they haven't put any money into R&D for EVs.

I really like the Blazer EV exterior. The interior seems a bit too loud/chromy/camaro.

Reactions: Baker
1 - 15 of 15 Posts