Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own a 2021 Tesla Model Y and have a deposit on the following EVs:

1. VW ID.4 ($500 refundable reservation deposit; locked in exactly one year ago; should be delivered to me within a month)
2. Fisker Ocean ($250 refundable reservation deposit minus $25; placed in early January 2022)
3. Fisker Ocean (another one: $100 refundable reservation minus $25???; placed in early January 2022)
4. Tesla CyberTruck ($100 refundable reservation deposit; placed in early 2020)
5. Rivian R1S ($1,000 refundable reservation deposit; placed yesterday)
6. Kia EV9 or Hyundai IONIQ 7 (will reserve both as soon as the reservations open for these vehicles).

I also tried to reserve an EV6 (before ID.4) in June of 2021, but because of the malfunctioning of the reservation site on the first day the reservations opened, I wasn't able to select a dealer in GA. By the time they fixed the issue, all of their initial EV6 allotment for the US was reserved. However, after seeing the EV6 in person and getting inside it a couple months ago, I decided it was a good thing I hadn't been able to reserve it, as it is too small for our family needs.

What I really need is one large (or medium size by US standards) SUV, hence the Rivian R1S reservation I made yesterday. So far, Rivian says that the delivery on the R1S reservations made now are expected to be fulfilled by the end of 2023, so it's quite likely that I will get the EV9 or IONIQ 7 before the R1S. I'm planning to buy every one of these vehicles and try them. I will resell most of them until I find the one that suits our needs. Right now, I think I will end up with one Fisker Ocean and one Rivian. I'm planning to trade my Model Y for the Rivian, so I'm keeping the Model Y with very low miles (rarely drive it). So far, it only has about 600 miles on it.

I wonder how many EVs have you guys reserved so far.

P.S. The Canadian flag shows up because I'm currently on a vacation in Canada. I live in the US.

·
Registered
Ocean One, NightDrive, MaliBlu
60 Posts
I have placed deposits for:

1. Fisker Ocean ($250)
2. Mercedes EQS SUV ($2000 with dealer refundable, got build date as Sep 2022 with expected delivery in October, placed deposit around end of April 2022)
3. Rivian R1S ($1000)
4. VinFast VF8 ($200)

Had deposit for both Kia EV6 and Ioniq 5, both dealers wanted above MSRP so cancelled it. Also, had reservation for Lyriq but cancelled it recently. I will take the first car delivered and cancel the rest. I'm planning to put deposit for Polestar 3 when they open up.

I placed deposit for Rivian R1S in 2020 and don't think I will get it this year based on their track record. Also, every other car in our community is a Tesla so I really want something different.

I just need an electric SUV (premium/luxury).

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR | 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
568 Posts
I had deposits on the Model 3 & ID.4 which purchased both. Current deposits include:

1. Fisker Ocean ($250)
2. Rivian R1S ($1000 / with grandfathered price).
3. Cybertruck ($100)
4. VinFast VF9 ($200 "NFT")
5. Metacycle ($100) [Not a car, but counting anyway]

Cancelled reservations:
1. Ioniq 5
2. EV6
3. Canoo
4. F150

All the deposits (except the Metacycle) would be to replace the M3. The ID.4 lease is up at the end of 2024 so need to start planning for that replacement. Considering a deposit on the Pear (which will hopefully get renamed) and probably the Polestar 3. After the Hyundai/Kia reservation "scams" I decided to no longer put down reservations with legacy carmakers. With Hyundai/Kia, I paid a $100 each to be put on their dealer's marketing list; their deposits were worth squat.

• Wow
Reactions: Deafsoundguy

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't have quite as many deposits as some but here is my list that I do have a a couple that I had thought about but likely won't follow through

1. Fisker Ocean (Ultra)
  2. Kia EV6
  3. VinFast VF8
I am likely going to cancel the VinFast as I am not a fan of the battery lease. EV6 will likely be our first purchase but if Ocean is what I hope it is, we will trade/sell the EV6.

Now I really thought about pulling the trigger on R1S. That is a really nice vehicle but just a little too much for our budget. Rumor has it they will be making the R2 series at the plant here in GA when it opens. And the price is supposed to be more my liking. That could be an option down the road.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
935 Posts
One. Not really interested in anything else at the moment. Future could be Blazer SS EV, Rivian R2S and Polestar 3.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I don't have quite as many deposits as some but here is my list that I do have a a couple that I had thought about but likely won't follow through

1. Fisker Ocean (Ultra)
  2. Kia EV6
  3. VinFast VF8
I am likely going to cancel the VinFast as I am not a fan of the battery lease. EV6 will likely be our first purchase but if Ocean is what I hope it is, we will trade/sell the EV6.

Now I really thought about pulling the trigger on R1S. That is a really nice vehicle but just a little too much for our budget. Rumor has it they will be making the R2 series at the plant here in GA when it opens. And the price is supposed to be more my liking. That could be an option down the road.
I'm going with the one car for mostly in-town and the other mostly for out-of-town paradigm. The R2S will be too small for us to travel out of town. EVery electric SUV on the market right now except for the Tesla Model X is too small for our out-of-town travels: hence, the reservation on the R1S. The mostly-in-town vehicle for us could be a number of different makes a models. It still needs to be an SUV, but doesn't have to be as big as the R1S. The ID.4 that I'm about to get will most likely be a stop gap. The one after the ID.4 will depend on what gets delivered sooner. I want to think that Fisker Ocean will be the mostly-in-town vehicle that we will keep, but I don't know that for sure at this time.

The CyberTruck was reserved when I thought it was for sure coming soon. I will keep the reservation to see how that drama develops. I'm not a fan of trucks (never owned one), so that reservation was made to get a bigger EV; not necessarily to get a truck. That's why I never put a reservation on the Ford F150.

VinFast is not for me. I don't get the battery leasing model at all. If they had a network of replaceable battery swapping facilities, I could consider battery leasing, but I normally try not to rent, lease, or finance anything. I prefer buying it outright. Hence, I refuse to buy a Model X; I think it's way overpriced (and has always been), and I will not lease it either.

The Model Y I currently own was an investment (as I got it for thousands below the MSRP at the time, and now the new one costs $17,000 more than the price I paid). I don't drive it much at all, and it's sitting there in the garage appreciating in price and waiting for the right EV to come out for it to be traded in for. I drive it maybe once every 2-3 weeks for a few miles, but that's about it.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
491 Posts
Current vehicles: Two 2018 Model 3s.
Reservations:
1. Fisker Ocean
2. Rivian R1S (with grandfathered price).
3. Cybertruck (Day 2 reservation)
4. Lyriq (2023 model year)
5. Lucid Air Touring
6. Silverado EV
7. Fisker Pear

Cancelled reservations:
1. VinFast VF9

Planned Reservations:
1. Blazer (July 18th)
2. EV9
3. Ioniq 7 (maybe)
4. Polestar 3 (possibly)
5. Lucid Gravity

Planned Cancellations:
1. Lyriq
2. Lucid

Eventual purchase plan is one pickup and one SUV. Most likely the CT and one of the Fisker/Rivian/EV9/Blazer

• Wow

·
Registered
MB GLA, Reserved Ocean Ultra, Ocean Pear and BMW I4. Patience is a virtue!
605 Posts
Current vehicles: Two 2018 Model 3s.
Reservations:
1. Fisker Ocean
2. Rivian R1S (with grandfathered price).
3. Cybertruck (Day 2 reservation)
4. Lyriq (2023 model year)
5. Lucid Air Touring
6. Silverado EV
7. Fisker Pear

Cancelled reservations:
1. VinFast VF9

Planned Reservations:
1. Blazer (July 18th)
2. EV9
3. Ioniq 7 (maybe)
4. Polestar 3 (possibly)
5. Lucid Gravity

Planned Cancellations:
1. Lyriq
2. Lucid

Eventual purchase plan is one pickup and one SUV. Most likely the CT and one of the Fisker/Rivian/EV9/Blazer
Just by curiosity what do you like on Cybertruck?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Just by curiosity what do you like on Cybertruck?
Well, first of all, the CT will be my wife's vehicle. She really wants one and she has the reservation. So speaking for her...
1. Love the design. It is just very interesting and unique. We like the Tesla minimalist interiors. (I agree with her on this.)
2. Love the (promised) range. It is a go-anywhere vehicle, especially when coupled with the supercharger network and fast charging speed.
3. It is extremely practical with the ability to comfortably seat 6 and carry most anything. (Won't use 90% of capabilities 90% of the time, though.)
4. It has an incredible performance / utility combination of the sort you only find in the RIvian/Hummer/Silverado class of vehicles. (Personally unimpressed with the Ford offering and do not like the F150 styling, but that is a personal choice.) But, tbh, we will not use much of that very often and I personally would probably not get one despite #1 above except...
5. Most important, she works at an oil company (oil trader) and all the men (they are all men) she works with all have giant pickups and hate EVs. So she wants to annoy them by having the biggest baddest pickup in the lot which is also the only electric pickup in the lot. And I cannot possibly think of a better reason to buy a vehicle. :)

The CT with its original indicative pricing was an exceptionally good value. But no one knows how it will compare versus the $105k Silverado SS or the $110k Hummer or the $70k+ F150 or the Rivian. We will know at the production reveal, I suppose. (Yeah, yeah, I know there are fleet vehicle options that are cheaper. I am talking the long-range, performance, retail editions.)

I do not think it is a particularly practical vehicle to park. It will be an energy hog (as all pickups are). So, yeah, if it were for me I would do something different. I like the Rivian and I like the Silverado EV a lot. But Silverado is too expensive and too big for me, and the R1S is better for me than the R1T (16 inches shorter, ability to carry more people when needed, etc.). I expect she will only keep it for a few years and then sell it to someone who actually needs a truck. But for those few years it will be oh so worth it to annoy the guys at work and it is an awesome truck.

• Haha

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well, first of all, the CT will be my wife's vehicle. She really wants one and she has the reservation. So speaking for her...
1. Love the design. It is just very interesting and unique. We like the Tesla minimalist interiors. (I agree with her on this.)
2. Love the (promised) range. It is a go-anywhere vehicle, especially when coupled with the supercharger network and fast charging speed.
3. It is extremely practical with the ability to comfortably seat 6 and carry most anything. (Won't use 90% of capabilities 90% of the time, though.)
4. It has an incredible performance / utility combination of the sort you only find in the RIvian/Hummer/Silverado class of vehicles. (Personally unimpressed with the Ford offering and do not like the F150 styling, but that is a personal choice.) But, tbh, we will not use much of that very often and I personally would probably not get one despite #1 above except...
5. Most important, she works at an oil company (oil trader) and all the men (they are all men) she works with all have giant pickups and hate EVs. So she wants to annoy them by having the biggest baddest pickup in the lot which is also the only electric pickup in the lot. And I cannot possibly think of a better reason to buy a vehicle. :)

The CT with its original indicative pricing was an exceptionally good value. But no one knows how it will compare versus the $105k Silverado SS or the $110k Hummer or the $70k+ F150 or the Rivian. We will know at the production reveal, I suppose. (Yeah, yeah, I know there are fleet vehicle options that are cheaper. I am talking the long-range, performance, retail editions.)

I do not think it is a particularly practical vehicle to park. It will be an energy hog (as all pickups are). So, yeah, if it were for me I would do something different. I like the Rivian and I like the Silverado EV a lot. But Silverado is too expensive and too big for me, and the R1S is better for me than the R1T (16 inches shorter, ability to carry more people when needed, etc.). I expect she will only keep it for a few years and then sell it to someone who actually needs a truck. But for those few years it will be oh so worth it to annoy the guys at work and it is an awesome truck.
I’m right now vacationing in Quebec, where I can go all the way to Labrador’s and Newfoundland in a non-Tesla EV, but I’m pretty much range limited in a Tesla unless I have a CCS1-to-Tesla DC adapter, which is not for sale in North America. So, at least in Quebec, non-Tesla EVs can go much father out than Teslas due to the Circuit Électrique network of DC chargers that is strategically deployed way out in the scarcely populated areas. Tesla superchargers, not so much.

Last time I was here in 2019 (before the pandemic), and I saw only one Tesla in four weeks of being here. This year I’ve seen an innumerable number of Teslas, but I’m also seeing some non-Tesla EVs now. In the past 10 days I’ve been here, I’ve seen four Mach Es, three Hyundai Kona’s, four Hyundai IONIQ 5s, one Kia Niro, one VW ID.4, and a couple of new Leafs. Most Teslas are tourists who are about 125 miles range limited from where I am because there are no supercharger’s past this town. The non-Teslas are mostly locals. The majority of Teslas are Model 3s, followed by the Model Y, followed by the Model S. I haven’t seen a single Model X yet.

I’m thinking about buying a 2023 Leaf Plus and driving through Quebec to Labrador, to Newfoundland, to Prince Edward Island, to Nova Scotia, to New Brunswick, and back to Quebec next summer to conquer the Canadian wilderness in an EV. The 2023 Leaf Plus can charge at 100 kW, and the Circuit Électrique DC chargers are either 50 or 100 kW and have both CCS and CHAdeMO plugs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Currently have a 2018 Model 3 with over 230,000km. I have the following on reserve in order of reservation not preference:

1. Cybertruck
2. F150
3. Silverado
4. Ocean

I've been happy with the Tesla and would buy another. I really would like a 600KM+ vehicle as we drive a lot and sometimes have to do a top up charge during the week (especially in the winter) for the 400km daily driving.

I would consider the R1S if they had a long range battery in it. Other than that, let's see what else comes available.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
935 Posts
I’m right now vacationing in Quebec, where I can go all the way to Labrador’s and Newfoundland in a non-Tesla EV, but I’m pretty much range limited in a Tesla unless I have a CCS1-to-Tesla DC adapter, which is not for sale in North America. ...
People are starting to buy the South Korea CCS1 adapters which work fine on newer Teslas. We already have them for loan for trips at my local Tesla club. Mine needs an charge port ECU replacement that is supposed to be included with the purchase when it's available in North America.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
491 Posts
at least in Quebec, non-Tesla EVs can go much father out than Teslas due to the Circuit Électrique network of DC chargers that is strategically deployed way out in the scarcely populated areas. Tesla superchargers, not so much.
Great point about why where you live has a big impact on your EV decisions! I cannot even drive from Houston to Shreveport and back on CCS in any vehicle other than a Lucid long range (and that would be dicey). Just driving the 220 miles to Corpus Christi is basically impossible unless you are willing to hope and pray the single painfully slow 62 kw charger is available.

·
Premium Member
2016 Cadillac ELR
192 Posts
Wow you guys with all the reservations are insane o_O! That’s some serious EV dedication!

While there’s some nice EV’s out there, most are too expensive and/or too big for my consideration, or, I just don’t like them more than my ELR which ive been extremely happy with (since I rarely go over 35 miles a day).

I really love the Fisker but what puts me over the fence is the fact that it’s beautiful and an AWD smaller SUV. If my ELR was AWD, I probably wouldn’t be looking at the Ocean. I’m not interested in putting in any other reservations.

I saw my first Rivian just the other day and I also saw two Polestars within the last month. Tesla’s are a dime a dozen here in Portland.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
People are starting to buy the South Korea CCS1 adapters which work fine on newer Teslas. We already have them for loan for trips at my local Tesla club. Mine needs an charge port ECU replacement that is supposed to be included with the purchase when it's available in North America.
View attachment 863
I myself bought one from South Korea a couple months ago. However, I’ve also had conversations with Tesla owners around here who are concerned about driving farther out because there are no more superchargers, and they are getting range anxiety. I would say that 95% of Tesla owners don’t even know that there is a CCS1-to-Tesla adapter, and of the remaining 5%, most have no idea how how to go about getting one.

It wasn’t an easy purchase. If it weren’t for a Reddit post on how to do this, my proficiency with Google Translate, and a Korean friend who was able to translate something for me that Google failed at, I wouldn’t have been able to own a CCS1-to-Tesla adapter. I also had to call the shipping forwarding company a few times because Tesla doesn’t provide tracking numbers for their Korean store purchases. My next range anxiety is, what if I drive 1,000 km away from the closest supercharger and my CCS1-to-Tesla adapter goes bad? That would be an expensive tow. So, all in all, if I lived in Quebec, I would be buying anything but Tesla. It seems that the Quebec government takes electrification seriously and are installing the chargers that are well distributed in remote areas of Quebec. They are not very fast (mostly 50 kW and some 100 kW), but still being able to charge in the middle of nowhere within a reasonable amount of time is an amazing benefit. The rates are also ridiculously low.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Has anyone here completed a purchase to turn around and resell? Wouldn't there be a market for people who want to buy an EV but didn't get themselves on a list, but will pay more? I'm asking for a friend.
And another question, are EVs sales tax exempt in any states? Maybe it's just @sirozha that plans on buying them all till they find the right one, but I just think of all the blown money in taxes, fees, and possible depreciation although we know right now the used EV market is good.

I've got just a few reservations
1. Ocean (around 30,000)
2. Ocean (these are $100, fully refundable, made just over 40,000)
3. Cybertruck (made Feb 2020)
4. Will reserve EV9 or Ioniq 7 when it opens

I would have been an early R1T reservation holder but it's a bit pricey in Canada, over $90k with almost no options. I have someone that tells me monthly to not get rid of the CT reservation because he would use it to purchase. I think that's the market right there.

·
Registered
96 Posts
@Bernie we bought an ID.4 in May 2021. Sold it to Carvana January 2022. A little over 16k miles and we sold it for what we paid. Plus the $7500 tax credit in the US. So we made out very well.

Likely gong to try the same when it comes time for us to pre-order our Ultra. Will be purchasing an EV6 in the next few months. Unless we absolutely love the EV6 and see bad reviews of Ocean, that is our current plan.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Had:
Ocean
VINFAST 8
Nissan Aryia
The only one we've kept is the Fisker Ocean that we reserved in 11/21. Want an Ultra.
And a PEAR which I reserved the day reservations opened.
Also very seriously looking at Toyota RAV4 Prime for now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts