Super Moderator
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR | 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
326 Posts
So your saying there's a chance?

While I do not think the Qilin is quite ready yet, what did you read in the announcement that led you to believe it's not going to happen? The Qilin has more to do with cell-to-pack technology than battery composition. The Qilin will be available with both NMC (255Wh/kg) and LFP (160Wh/kg) chemistry.

Ironically, the fact that announcement references "vehicle structure, crashworthiness " leads me more to believe there may be a chance.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I know we've discussed a bit about how the Ocean might have the new battery pack from CATL. I'm sorry to report that that's probably not going to happen as Fisker has a two year contract with CATL from 2023-2025.

View attachment 979

Fisker - Fisker Secures Long-term Battery Capacity With CATL for the Fisker Ocean SUV (fiskerinc.com)

What happens after that is up for speculation. Maybe we see the new Qilin battery cells in 2026?
The Qilin is a NMC battery. It is supposed to be more sustainable and cheeper to produce. I cant see why Fisker and Catl wouldn`t use it, unless the Technology is not ready for use yet. But as I understand it, it`s in chinese cars alleready, so why not in Fisker Ocean?!
Still hoping for a Big Big surprise🙏🏻 And if not, we are more than satisfied with the 630km😄

·
Super Moderator
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So your saying there's a chance?

While I do not think the Qilin is quite ready yet, what did you read in the announcement that led you to believe it's not going to happen? The Qilin has more to do with cell-to-pack technology than battery composition. The Qilin will be available with both NMC (255Wh/kg) and LFP (160Wh/kg) chemistry.

Ironically, the fact that announcement references "vehicle structure, crashworthiness " leads me more to believe there may be a chance.
I absolutely believe there is a chance. I just don't think it will be cost efficient right now for Fisker to do so. The part that mentions that Fisker and CATL have been working together since 2020 is the part that brings doubt in my mind. If CATL has a press release about the QILIN batteries, why are we not seeing one from Fisker?

Both Fisker and CATL have the press release listed on their respective websites. I really hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I absolutely believe there is a chance. I just don't think it will be cost efficient right now for Fisker to do so. The part that mentions that Fisker and CATL have been working together since 2020 is the part that brings doubt in my mind. If CATL has a press release about the QILIN batteries, why are we not seeing one from Fisker?

Both Fisker and CATL have the press release listed on their respective websites. I really hope I'm wrong.
Fisker has been very silent on most of its specs so not a surprise they didn’t share details. CATL will not announced anything until Fisker gives the green light (so any announcement would likely be a joint announcement).

I can guarantee that CATL has been working on Qilin from well before 2020.

Reactions: Baker and Danmark

·
Super Moderator
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fisker has been very silent on most of its specs so not a surprise they didn’t share details. CATL will not announced anything until Fisker gives the green light (so any announcement would likely be a joint announcement).

I can guarantee that CATL has been working on Qilin from well before 2020.
You mentioned the Qilin batteries come in LFP AND NMC which I didn't know. That takes me back to the drawing board. Drats.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Reactions: HotIce

·
Registered
300 Posts
For all of the reasons @TT97 mentions, I agree with him (and you can find the same in my comment history ;)).

These batteries didn't just spring up overnight. Fisker would have known they were coming. The Ocean is far from the most aerodynamic so it will need a high density battery or a big battery, or gasp, BOTH. I'm not wise on all of the EV stuff, but doesn't it require huge amounts of energy to get both the range and power the Ocean will have?

It isn't make or break for me, but it just makes logical sense that the Ocean will have this battery tech. Class leading range, huge power numbers, and huge style which means a sacrifice on aero. If they are already using these in Chinese cars there is no reason it can't be in the Ocean.

And CATL hasn't announced it, because Fisker asked them not to spill the beans. Fisker wants to be the one to make the big announcement.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think it's possible as well they will have the qilin. Fisker keeps mentioning in-person and in that press release the high energy density of the battery pack. Could just be a marketing tactic, but hopefully not. It also could be the reason for the additional secrecy behind the battery details. As Fisker has said he doesn't want to be benchmarked. I always thought that was a cop out but maybe it's a legitimate concern.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Easily defendable as Fisker is playing this close to chest and not sharing this information at this time.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Easily defendable as Fisker is playing this close to chest and not sharing this information at this time.
seems like what’s happening as we speak, the new Qilin battery is in the “test vehicle” that HF is driving around and as soon as the One’s are ready to ship they will announce.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know we've discussed a bit about how the Ocean might have the new battery pack from CATL. I don't think going to happen as Fisker has a two year contract with CATL from 2023-2025.

View attachment 979

Fisker - Fisker Secures Long-term Battery Capacity With CATL for the Fisker Ocean SUV (fiskerinc.com)

What happens after that is up for speculation. Maybe we see the new Qilin battery cells in 2026?
No chance the Ocean is stuck with old batteries until 2026, while CATL is outfitting others with the latest and greatest batteries that have a range over 2x as longer as soon as 2023. No way can Ocean be successful then

·
Registered
138 Posts
No chance the Ocean is stuck with old batteries until 2026, while CATL is outfitting others with the latest and greatest batteries that have a range over 2x as longer as soon as 2023. No way can Ocean be successful then
Other companies have secured supply chains past 2026 with no mention of qilin. Current batteries work fine for most people so I don't think not having qilin would define the success of the Ocean.

·
Super Moderator
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1. Fisker has a contract in place with CATL most likely for them to supply a specific number of batteries until 2026. We don't know if there are any clauses in the contract but usually, these deals are done YEARS in advance and if Fisker doesn't fulfill their contractual obligation of purchasing the agreed upon number of batteries, they're going to be in some serious legal trouble.

2. The current 2170 cell batteries are more than enough for people's needs. The Qilin batteries while amazing aren't really necessary.

3. Henrik yesterday confirmed that they will be sticking to a more traditional production line. They won't be making improvements to vehicles and tweaking things as time goes on as everything is locked down. They're most likely contractually obligated to follow through with Magna as well.

·
Registered
Referral Code: 8Z0AXK 56,000+
943 Posts
@TT97

Fisker Inc 5 year deal with CATL highlight details
  • Fisker and CATL agree to over 5 gigawatt-hours (GWh) annual battery capacity for the Fisker Ocean SUV.
  • Fisker will utilize CATL’s unique dual-chemistry cell capability to optimize performance, application, cost and market position across the Fisker Ocean option package lineup.
  • Fisker and CATL to optimize battery pack structure to support Fisker Ocean packaging requirements.
  • CATL to supply Fisker Ocean production with small (LFP) and large (NMC) advanced battery packs over multiple years and is fully on track to support the Nov. 17, 2022 start of production milestone and subsequent ramp-up.
P.S. If the Fisher Ocean ONE, Extreme & Ultra models will have a 105 KWh battery,
then the 5 GWh annual supply will translate into 47,619 Oceans (with NCM battery)

Reactions: KMBrown

·
Super Moderator
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@TT97

Fisker Inc 5 year deal with CATL highlight details
  • Fisker and CATL agree to over 5 gigawatt-hours (GWh) annual battery capacity for the Fisker Ocean SUV.
  • Fisker will utilize CATL’s unique dual-chemistry cell capability to optimize performance, application, cost and market position across the Fisker Ocean option package lineup.
  • Fisker and CATL to optimize battery pack structure to support Fisker Ocean packaging requirements.
  • CATL to supply Fisker Ocean production with small (LFP) and large (NMC) advanced battery packs over multiple years and is fully on track to support the Nov. 17, 2022 start of production milestone and subsequent ramp-up.
P.S. If the Fisher Ocean ONE, Extreme & Ultra models will have a 105 KWh battery,
then the 5 GWh annual supply will translate into 47,619 Oceans (with NCM battery)

Do you think all trim levels will have the same battery size and just be software limited?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts