Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
Yes, it seems it is underneath this cover:

Mirror Automotive side-view mirror Automotive mirror Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
Referral Code: 8Z0AXK ~60,000
1,168 Posts
Ok, Henrik…this is the photo of the “Clearview Camera” as you stated on IG
So. what are we actually looking at?
Any techy nerd know why all this is?
Product Automotive mirror Font Screenshot Gadget

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR | 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
607 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think it's Magna's pre-packaged (aka "one-box") ADAS / driver assistance module:

I think its great that they partnered with an established player -- Mobileye has a ton of experience -- as this is not easy stuff to get right.
This is why i buy the Ocean, they are not inventing everything new, they make a great design, added some cool new ideas/features and buying stuff already working... Like it...

·
Registered
Referral Code: 8Z0AXK ~60,000
1,168 Posts
@mr ocean
Thanks for the answer! I remember Mobileye first partnering with Tesla Inc until
Tesla severed the relationship

Erez Dagan, Executive Vice President Products and Strategy at Mobileye. "This system offers a completely new level of performance and functionality, but we are already looking for ways to make future generations even better."

Reactions: mr ocean

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts
This is why i buy the Ocean, they are not inventing everything new, they make a great design, added some cool new ideas/features and buying stuff already working... Like it...
They may not be inventing anything new but there are many firsts alongside digital radar. The front camera on the Ocean is 8 Megapixels. That's a first. Exciting times ahead.

·
Registered
62 Posts
They may not be inventing anything new but there are many firsts alongside digital radar. The front camera on the Ocean is 8 Megapixels. That's a first. Exciting times ahead.
I'm not sure that is true. From this, the ADAS system in the BMW iX also uses EyeQ5 with an 8MP camera:

I think the Ocean might be the second production available car to use this setup, though. And the iX is quite a bit more expensive (and uglier, and slower) than the Ocean.

I view it as a positive that EyeQ5 is in other vehicles too. In Europe, level 3 autonomous is currently limited by law to speeds lower than 60 km/h (38 mph), and having a large European producer like BMW help to push for regulatory change will be helpful.

The EyeQ5 system in the iX looks pretty capable:

·
Premium Member
2016 Cadillac ELR
214 Posts
I’m just wondering, am I in the tiny minority that driving with hands off is more stressful and less enjoyable than just actually driving a nice car? I mean I try it sometimes in my wife’s Nautilus, but the extra worry factor is instantly there that some jackass while texting and appearing to drive is going almost sideswipe me (not like that hasn’t already happened a thousand times). Texting and driving here is BAD. And running red lights. I think we have more idiot light runners per capita here.

Anyway love ACC, but I want zero to do with autonomous hands free driving. I understand that for those who can’t be bothered by paying attention to driving while they’re “influencing their minions” this may be safer because the car is way smarter than they are. But for those who actually DO pay attention, I don’t want more help than crash mitigation and seeing in fog, etc.

disclaimer: Any system that wants to hold my tacos while driving would of course be welcomed and appreciated. Safe to say a cheese and lettuce explosion due to lack of engineered taco manipulation could make for distracted driving. And sauce on your seat. :oops: Thank God Fisker is the only one to step up the plate so far ! Thank you Henrik!!!🎯

·
Registered
334 Posts
I’m just wondering, am I in the tiny minority that driving with hands off is more stressful and less enjoyable than just actually driving a nice car? I mean I try it sometimes in my wife’s Nautilus, but the extra worry factor is instantly there that some jackass while texting and appearing to drive is going almost sideswipe me (not like that hasn’t already happened a thousand times). Texting and driving here is BAD. And running red lights. I think we have more idiot light runners per capita here.

Anyway love ACC, but I want zero to do with autonomous hands free driving. I understand that for those who can’t be bothered by paying attention to driving while they’re “influencing their minions” this may be safer because the car is way smarter than they are. But for those who actually DO pay attention, I don’t want more help than crash mitigation and seeing in fog, etc.

disclaimer: Any system that wants to hold my tacos while driving would of course be welcomed and appreciated. Safe to say a cheese and lettuce explosion due to lack of engineered taco manipulation could make for distracted driving. And sauce on your seat. :oops: Thank God Fisker is the only one to step up the plate so far ! Thank you Henrik!!!🎯
TACO TRAY rocks!

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts

I find using Auto Pilot on long trips to be very relaxing and I prefer to use in that situation. I still concentrate on the road, sometime even more so knowing the car will stay in the lane and alert me of any issues. Have you used ADAS before?

Reactions: mr ocean

·
Registered
319 Posts

i’m right there with you. I am a driver. I love driving and am damned good at it. I take great pains to see what is going on around me 5 or 6 cars up ahead as well as behind so that i’m never surprised. Hands off driving does not interest me in the least as i KNOW i can avoid accidents/slowdowns/bad drivers better than AI.
Will I ever use it? Sure, a man has to eat on long road trips and if the road is mostly empty around me I might take a taco or two from the shelf and eat it . But the idea of letting the car drive for me in rush hour traffic with hundreds of inept drivers around me whose only ability to react in a danger situation is to slam the brakes?? Nah, I got it. Pass the taco. You should have seen me back in the day working a 4spd manual while eating a Big Mac..

·
Premium Member
2016 Cadillac ELR
214 Posts
I find using Auto Pilot on long trips to be very relaxing and I prefer to use in that situation. I still concentrate on the road, sometime even more so knowing the car will stay in the lane and alert me of any issues. Have you used ADAS before?
Well yeah, I mentioned the Nautilus which has Lincoln’s co-pilot360. But I don’t trust it with 🤡’s on their cell phones. The ACC works great, but lane keeping, making sure it’s actually turning in the curves when the lines are suddenly not there due to wet roads and sun in my eyes (and the camera’s eye) scares the :poop: out of me. No thanks. Looks like @SeaPhil4 and I are going to continue to give certain tech the finger🖕🤖

Perfect world, let me buy handsfree tech if I want it. Personally I’d rather just save all that money for more Taco Bell 🔔 gift cards. Don’t take the SolarSky away, at least I can see what I’m buying and harvest enough energy to crisp a quesadilla 😛

1 - 19 of 19 Posts