Fisker Ocean Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there anyone here with Ioniq 5 who is considering getting Ocean Ultra ?
I currently own Ioniq 5 SE and I have my order locked in for ULTRA. There is a lot to love about Ocean but I see couple of downsides:
- Ioniq 5 Is 800v architecture. I usually spend around 15minutes on Electrify America to charge it to 80% and that's a really good result. With Fisker it seems like it will be twice that closer to 30minutes.

- On my Ioniq 5 SE I have all the basic self driving features that I need which is : Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Centering with Emergency Breaking. This is the must feature for me. The car pretty much drives itself in traffic or on a highway. Ultra does not have any of that and will probably cost + 5k$ or more

- With my Ioniq 5 SE I had an option to choose the exterior and interior color exactly I wanted for free, and with FISKER the standard exterior color is only WHITE which sucks. There is additional interior color white which looks great but it will be premium.

- With FISKER there are no good looking 20" rims to choose from. The standard 20" included are pretty ugly...so it seems like either an upgrade to 3rd party rims or 22" Fisker ones is a must.

All in all it seems that Having exterior color + interior color + rims + driving features will be at least 10k$ more. So that makes it at least 60k$ car .

I will still wait with my locked in order to see what trade in value I am going to get for IONIQ 5. Hopefully with 7500$ EV tax credit this change won't be as painful.

Technologically speaking I am not that impressed with FISKER's driving features. All that "RADAR" marketing talk is seems pretty standard on Ioniq 5...but let's wait till it comes out.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I currently own Ioniq 5 SE and I have my order locked in for ULTRA. There is a lot to love about Ocean but I see couple of downsides:
- Ioniq 5 Is 800v architecture. I usually spend around 15minutes on Electrify America to charge to 80% and that's a really good result. With Fisker it seems like it will be twice that closer to 30minutes.

- On my Ioniq 5 SE I have all the basic self driving features that I need which is : Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Centering with Emergency Breaking. This is the must feature for me. The car pretty much drives itself in traffic or on a highway. Ultra does not have any of that and will probably cost + 5k$ or more

- With my Ioniq 5 SE I had an option to choose the exterior and interior color exactly I wanted for free, and with FISKER the standard exterior color is only WHITE which sucks. There is additional interior color white which looks great but it will be premium.

- With FISKER there are no good looking 20" rims to choose from. The standard 20" included are pretty ugly...so it seems like either an upgrade to 3rd party rims or 22" Fisker ones is a must.

All in all it seems that Having exterior color + interior color + rims + driving features will be at least 10k$ more. So that makes it at least 60k$ car .

I will still wait with my locked in order to see what trade in value I am going to get for IONIQ 5. Hopefully with 7500$ EV tax credit this change won't be as painful.
Well I can tell you my little anecdote: I am on the "short list" for the Ionic 5 at my local dealer. He calls a couple of weeks ago and says "We are getting few Ionic 5's to test drive in a couple of weeks. You still interested?". I say sure thing! Would love to try one of them out at the very least I can see what a well reviewed small SUV/hatch EV drives like. He calls me 2 weeks later "OK we got one (1) in - you still wanna drive it?" I say sure and schedule a test drive for later that day at 5pm (he called at 2). He calls me back at 4:15 to tell me that the person that drove it at 4 bought it. They paid over sticker btw (he did not disclose by how much). I guess this is how things are now. Quite a far cry from 3 years ago.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel for you ...yeah the market sucks right now. Thank god I've managed to buy my Ioniq 5 at MSRP with no additional markup's or "BS" add-on's. It is definitely worth the price. If you are still looking for one at MSRP check NEW JERSEY area. Most of the dealership's there seem to have AWD'S at MSRP.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I feel for you ...yeah the market sucks right now. Thank god I've managed to buy my Ioniq 5 at MSRP with no additional markup's or "BS" add-on's. It is definitely worth the price. If you are still looking for one at MSRP check NEW JERSEY area. Most of the dealership's there seem to have AWD'S at MSRP.
Well I do not desire the Ionic 5 over the Ocean - if the Ocean did not exist or something fell though, then it would be at the top of my list. There are some pros to the Ionic 5 for sure but I would probably buy an Ionic 6 (out of the 2) if push came to shove. On paper though the Ionic 5 is just not priced aggressively enough. You are talking $56k for the highest trim and you take a significant hit on performance and range vs the Ocean Ultra. That $56k also does not factor in any mark-up which are just plain unavoidable in my area and that is at least another $10-15k from what I can gather. It just does not add up to a good value in comparison.

·
Registered
318 Posts

The new configurator on the website isn't released yet, so we don't know if different paint colors will cost more or by how much.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I currently own Ioniq 5 SE and I have my order locked in for ULTRA. There is a lot to love
This seems to be a matter of taste. I was able to configure with some rims I find tasteful.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I do not desire the Ionic 5 over the Ocean - if the Ocean did not exist or something fell though, then it would be at the top of my list. There are some pros to the Ionic 5 for sure but I would probably buy an Ionic 6 (out of the 2) if push came to shove. On paper though the Ionic 5 is just not priced aggressively enough. You are talking $56k for the highest trim and you take a significant hit on performance and range vs the Ocean Ultra. That $56k also does not factor in any mark-up which are just plain unavoidable in my area and that is at least another $10-15k from what I can gather. It just does not add up to a good value in comparison.
What I am saying is that my cheapest Ioniq 5 SE trim priced at 44k has driving features of OCEAN EXTREME. Anyway OCEAN seems like a great car so I am still going to hold on on my order and I'll see what happens when they release the price list of all the options.

·
Registered
446 Posts
What I am saying is that my cheapest Ioniq 5 SE trim priced at 44k has driving features of OCEAN EXTREME. Anyway OCEAN seems like a great car so I am still going to hold on on my order and I'll see what happens when they release the price list of all the options.
Yeah in 2 months we will have the full list of features and all of the optional pricing. Expect these forums to straight up explode when that happens. :p

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This seems to be a matter of taste. I was able to configure with some rims I find tasteful.
There are only one rims that are standard with ULTRA : 20" FT Aero Steath. All the other rims are 22" and are premium. I wish they had more 20" options looking like their 22" .

·
Registered
446 Posts
There is this PDF that says that only WHITE color is standard on ULTRA. Anything else will be priced premium...probably +2500$
There is no official and current .pdf from Fisker stating this. While white being the standard color is a good guess, for all we know, there may be 2 or 3 no-cost colors. And most car companies charge $600 - $1500 for their more premium colors. We will have to wait to see for sure but they are not going to charge you close to the cost of a wrap for the color option - no one will buy it cause they can just wrap the car in any color they want for $3500 or less.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is no official and current .pdf from Fisker stating this. While white being the standard color is a good guess, for all we know, there may be 2 or 3 no-cost colors. And most car companies charge $600 - $1500 for their more premium colors. We will have to wait to see for sure but they are not going to charge you close to the cost of a wrap for the color option - no one will buy it cause they can just wrap the car in any color they want for $3500 or less.
Good point. We will see. Can't wait for the full price list.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The Ionic 5 is a great vehicle, no doubt about it. I have test drove one as well and had the following thoughts about why I decided to go with the Ocean. If you are comparing to the ultra I think you need to compare the Limited Ionic 5. Here is a list of some of my like's/dislikes of the Ionic vs the Ocean.

• I like the design choices that make it clear this is an EV and will be used by users differently than an ICE vehicle (V2L, extra reclining positions for driver, movable centre console, etc.)
  • The 800V architecture is great for fast charging. Most of us will use L2 chargers at home for most charging however.
  • The leg room in the rear seat was fantastic and makes it great for carting littles around
  • Lots of technology included for the price

Dislikes
  • Range is not as good (I need higher range for winter month travel)
  • Towing is not as good
  • The rear interior storage space was disappointing, I found the Ocean gets around this by having a more vertical rear-liftgate that makes that space more usable vs the slopes hatch on the Ionic.
  • Honestly, the quality of the interior was disappointing to me. It didn't feel like it would hold up for a decade. I hope I am wrong on this for the sake of all the Ionic owners out there.
  • The design of the Ionic is neat. It grew on me the more I looked at it. I am just not sure it will age as well.
  • The lack of wireless AA / CP
  • Since you brought up the radar yourself, I think you are right that the Ionic comes with more standard features than the Ultra model will. However, it may be important to note that your Ionic will not be capable of the more advanced ADAS features in 1-5 years when you may choose to upgrade whereas the Ultra will have that option available.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think HF has stated that white is the standard colour and others will be upgrades. It could change but honestly a white Ocean still looks pretty slick.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Ionic 5 is a great vehicle, no doubt about it. I have test drove one as well and had the following thoughts about why I decided to go with the Ocean. If you are comparing to the ultra I think you need to compare the Limited Ionic 5. Here is a list of some of my like's/dislikes of the Ionic vs the Ocean.

• I like the design choices that make it clear this is an EV and will be used by users differently than an ICE vehicle (V2L, extra reclining positions for driver, movable centre console, etc.)
  • The 800V architecture is great for fast charging. Most of us will use L2 chargers at home for most charging however.
  • The leg room in the rear seat was fantastic and makes it great for carting littles around
  • Lots of technology included for the price

Dislikes
  • Towing is not as good
  • The rear interior storage space was disappointing, I found the Ocean gets around this by having a more vertical rear-liftgate that makes that space more usable vs the slopes hatch on the Ionic.
  • Honestly, the quality of the interior was disappointing to me. It didn't feel like it would hold up for a decade. I hope I am wrong on this for the sake of all the Ionic owners out there.
  • The design of the Ionic is neat. It grew on me the more I looked at it. I am just not sure it will age as well.
  • The lack of wireless AA / CP
  • Since you brought up the radar yourself, I think you are right that the Ionic comes with more standard features than the Ultra model will. However, it may be important to note that your Ionic will not be capable of the more advanced ADAS features in 1-5 years when you may choose to upgrade whereas the Ultra will have that option available.
I agree that's why I bought RWD instead of AWD...and even with RWD I am getting around 260miles of real range. But it is worth mentiontion I like to speed.
  • Towing is not as good
For sure. 100%
Space was actually never an issue. You can move the rear sits closer to the front which gives you way more space.
Well in comparison to TESLA Model 3 or even Model Y the interior seems to be luxurious :D :D Really no issue here.
It is like with any car...to me the design is just spectacular.

Do you think they will be adding more features down the road ? It seems like Ocean has way more sensors than Ioniq. Hopefully FISKER will be doing more OTA updates in the future.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Space was actually never an issue. You can move the rear sits closer to the front which gives you way more space.
Supposedly, the Ocean will also have this feature. I did think it was brilliant during my test drive.

It is like with any car...to me the design is just spectacular.
I actually really dug the overall design of the interior.

Do you think they will be adding more features down the road ? It seems like Ocean has way more sensors than Ioniq. Hopefully FISKER will be doing more OTA updates in the future.
They will definitely be making improvements. The best part is that it will come with the most advanced radar equipment being put into the market so if you choose to upgrade to more self-driving features in the future, it will be already set up for it.

I am getting around 260miles
Winter where I live is brutal, so that would likely turn into 175 miles of range or less which during actual travel is just not enough. At least with 340 miles of range I am hoping to get around in cold weather.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah in 2 months we will have the full list of features and all of the optional pricing. Expect these forums to straight up explode when that happens. :p
I respectfully disagree. With the 2023 allocations sold out for Ultra and Sport, which we have no idea how many that might be, and with the already suggested price increase for 2024, I think it's going to hurt more than help to finally bring out the option prices. It's another too little, too late scenario. Also, with the loss of future tax credits for now, I see interest falling off until those return, if ever. I'd be interested in knowing how many US reservations didn't get to convert to an order. Globally, this might succeed, but I see it taking a hit in the US for now. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I respectfully disagree. With the 2023 allocations sold out for Ultra and Sport, which we have no idea how many that might be, and with the already suggested price increase for 2024, I think it's going to hurt more than help to finally bring out the option prices. It's another too little, too late scenario. Also, with the loss of future tax credits for now, I see interest falling off until those return, if ever. I'd be interested in knowing how many US reservations didn't get to convert to an order. Globally, this might succeed, but I see it taking a hit in the US for now. Just my opinion.
You can disagree all you want but all I have to do is point you to exhibit A: The Tesla Model Y. The Model Y is the best selling EV on the planet - by a long shot. It starts at $66k with no rebate and is slower and has less range than an Ocean Ultra. It also has a fixed glass roof, no ADAS for that price (that package costs 6-12k), and a sparse interior (arguable pro I suppose). Even if that had a rebate it would still be almost $60k and I would still rather have the Ocean with no rebate. I can't be the only one that feels that way. ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
By the way I just have created another topic that solves the lack of self driving features on Sport and Ultra:

·
Registered
446 Posts
By the way I just have created another topic that solves the lack of self driving features on Sport and Ultra:
You do know that the ADAS package is an announced OTA upgrade, correct? You will be able to get it on the Ultra and the Sport - we just don't know how much.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.