Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tesla model 3 that was built during the production ramp. It's currently at the service center for the friggin 12th time. No big powertrain failures, but I've had countless little quality issues. I knew that was a risk with a first run car, but I've really gotten burned. Are any of you worried with similar problems with the first year or two of oceans and pears?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a tesla model 3 that was built during the production ramp. It's currently at the service center for the friggin 12th time. No big powertrain failures, but I've had countless little quality issues. I knew that was a risk with a first run car, but I've really gotten burned. Are any of you worried with similar problems with the first year or two of oceans and pears?
I am more concerned with with the fact that us early reservation holders (February 7,2020 ) will have to commit to a ONE without seeing what the journalists have to say about the car, like quality and my big concern interior room. I’m over 6’4” and don’t know if I will fit. It is very close to my wife’s X5 exterior size other than height witch is 4.6” taller. And have plenty of room. I’m afraid I’d have to get rid of it ,and that would be costly. Just wish I could of had till July to place order.

·
Registered
Referral Code: 8Z0AXK ~60,000
1,168 Posts
@slipnslider
Are any of you worried with similar problems with the first year or two of oceans and pears?
Welcome to the Oceanforums! Lots of great info & Fisker enthusiasts too.
Magna Inc (#3 worldwide auto builder) has proven its Quality build at Magna Steyr in Austria
rest easy…

@alpine x3
welcome Canuck…lots of us “We the North” here!
Magna Stehr plant only builds high quality vehicles.
You can say that again over and over!

·
Registered
Referral Code: 8Z0AXK ~60,000
1,168 Posts
I am more concerned ….I will have to commit to a ONE without seeing what the journalists have to say about the car, like quality and my big concern interior room. I’m over 6’4” and don’t know if I will fit.
@Tnproud
Since you have some serious reservations, then, perhaps, you should wait until you see a Fisker Ocean in real life at
one of the Fisker Experience Centres opening across the USA
1) Los Angeles, California (~August/Sept 2023)
2) New York City, New York (late 2022)
3) Miami, Florida (late 2022)

·
Registered
371 Posts
I am more concerned4$ with with the fact that us early reservation holders (February 7,2020 ) will have to commit to a ONE without seeing what the journalists have to say about the car, like quality and my big concern interior room. I’m over 6’4” and don’t know if I will fit. It is very close to my wife’s X5 exterior size other than height witch is 4.6” taller. And have plenty of room. I’m afraid I’d have to get rid of it ,and that would be costly. Just wish I could of had till July to place order.
I totally understand your concern, I'm 6'5", and of normal proportions. I'm hoping they put out a headroom figure soon. My wife's Outback has 40.8" of headroom and this is plenty. If I drop the seat all the way it's actually too low, and in my ideal position with good sight lines I've got at least 2 inches of space over my head.

FWIW, they say Henrik is 6'3" and seems to fit easily in the Ocean in every test drive video on Instagram.

·
Premium Member
2016 Cadillac ELR
214 Posts
I’ve done the first adopter blues. Since I had one of the very first Jag F-Paces, it didn’t take long to suffer the consequences. They got this car out as fast as they could, omitting obvious things it needed. The big one was the rear springs. They would slide over (de-center) at the top and make weird squeaking noises. I was the first guy to crawl under the car and get detailed pics of up into the spring areas and post it online on the F-Pace forum so that other F-Pace owners could show the idiot service depts what was going on. Jag finally after months made a no-brainer cup that has to be installed so it could not do that.

How does a car manufacturer make a million cars and just not do that when you know it needs it? Really low of the company. And numerous little things that had to be re-glued, or redesigned. And we were lucky. There were many others that had way more issues like tubes getting kinked etc. Basically a lot was haphazard rushed assembly. A guy I didn’t meet but lived near me had his F-Pace in the shop every time I went down there. He was so ticked and finally made them buy it back.

But Jag (Tata) is a huge company and it really showed they rushed this car to market and thought they would sell it, and just get it out there and let it sell itself. Fix the problems eventually with the warranty. Crappy move.

While it was crappy, my wife really liked the car. When we sat in a new 21’, the interior was like 1000 times nicer. She’s placed her order and its been almost 5 months and no build date yet. Jury’s out if she’ll change her mind if we don’t get a build date soon.

With Fisker I dunno, it seems like he’s pushing the warranty really hard, and lots of prototypes. Not letting anyone drive or review the car until late in the game. Maybe trying to sort out any issues? He’s designed a number of cars, not his first rodeo so hopefully this car will be pretty good out of the gate with Magna building them.

I also had one of the first runs of i3’s, (lots of issues, nothing major)
one of the first Buick Enclaves (excellent car no issues)
one of the first Buick LaCrosse’s (excellent car no issues)
And then there’s just plain good and bad luck

·
Premium Member
2016 Cadillac ELR
214 Posts
No concerns since Magna is building it
I have concerns about service though.
Yeah there is that :unsure:

Hope and excitement is getting in the way of practical common sense realities of how-day-gonna-do-dat? I sure hope on one of those YouTube videos with somebody they’re going to ask Henrik just how that’s going to work. I live in a big city so hopefully it’s going to work out but if I lived out in the boonies I dunno.

·
Registered
2012 Volvo S60 Referral M37TH5
747 Posts
Yes, Magna knows what they're doing, but it seems that there are always bugs to work out at first no matter who builds the car. Just part of the learning process. I've heard for years that you should never buy a first year car (of course, I'm a reservation holder 😁).

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yes, Magna knows what they're doing, but it seems that there are always bugs to work out at first no matter who builds the car. Just part of the learning process. I've heard for years that you should never buy a first year car (of course, I'm a reservation holder 😁).
Magna is an outstanding assembler. But, every OEM finds issues when moving from pilot to volume production. I've been on the OEM side of this and what happens is that all of the issues found in the field in year 1, reported via warranty, that were not identified in PVP (pre-volume production) are "swept up", change notices are issued for Engineering, Suppliers, and/or the Plant and unless critical, usually are a timed, coordinated change for V1 of Year 2, by the time the correction has been validated in new testing. Every first year buyer is trading off immediacy ("first-on-the-blockitis") for the likelihood of more issues than if they waited for the second year.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I am more concerned with with the fact that us early reservation holders (February 7,2020 ) will have to commit to a ONE without seeing what the journalists have to say about the car, like quality and my big concern interior room. I’m over 6’4” and don’t know if I will fit. It is very close to my wife’s X5 exterior size other than height witch is 4.6” taller. And have plenty of room. I’m afraid I’d have to get rid of it ,and that would be costly. Just wish I could of had till July to place order.
You don't have to commit to the One; you can change your reservation to the Ultra, which will probably starts shipping at least 6 months later. Also, if you have to "get rid" of it, you will likely make a decent chunk of money on it if you sell it with low mileage.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Issues? Not so worried. Getting them fixed? A bit. Especially as I'm a bit remote here in Albuquerque.
What I'm concerned about is what happens if you break down on a long trip. What are the alternatives to renting a car and then having your EV shipped back to where you live? But that pretty much applies to all EVs at this point, as spare parts are on back order even for Teslas.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
What I'm concerned about is what happens if you break down on a long trip. What are the alternatives to renting a car and then having your EV shipped back to where you live? But that pretty much applies to all EVs at this point, as spare parts are on back order even for Teslas.
Good story on this. I've only had one breakdown during a trip in the last 25+ years and it was in an ICE. This event was about 10 years ago. We were halfway to our destination (about 400 miles from home) and the car's radiator blew and the car died. Ended up that the dealer did fasten the cap correctly at our last service a day before the trip. We specifically told them to make sure the car was serviced and ready for the upcoming road trip!. They paid for our rental car for the rest of the trip while the car was repaired at a local dealer. Man, it must have cost them a lot for a stupid error.

Back to your question, I think most new cars have coverage that will tow them to the nearest service center. In Fisker's case this may be Firestone in the US.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Good story on this. I've only had one breakdown during a trip in the last 25+ years and it was in an ICE. This event was about 10 years ago. We were halfway to our destination (about 400 miles from home) and the car's radiator blew and the car died. Ended up that the dealer did fasten the cap correctly at our last service a day before the trip. We specifically told them to make sure the car was serviced and ready for the upcoming road trip!. They paid for our rental car for the rest of the trip while the car was repaired at a local dealer. Man, it must have cost them a lot for a stupid error.

Back to your question, I think most new cars have coverage that will tow them to the nearest service center. In Fisker's case this may be Firestone in the US.
OK, it will be towed to a Firestone, which is excellent. Then what? Will they pay for a rental? For how long? I'm about to leave for a 6-week trip to Canada in my Tesla Model Y, and I'm wondering maybe it's too ambitious a plan. Maybe I should take my 2017 Kia Sorento instead. If I break down, having a Kia Sorento fixed by a local dealer seems to be a much more feasible event than having a Model Y fixed without delaying our trip. If they had to order a Model Y part that's on back order, would Tesla give me a rental for the duration of my trip? Because I don't want to have to drive half the way to where it broke down to pick it up. Would Tesla deliver my repaired car to me in Canada? Would they bring it to the US border for me to pick it up? I doubt it on both counts.

As long as you drive an EV in town, it's not a big issue. But, with my 1400-mile trip one way, this could be a devastating vacation-killing event.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think fisker has mentioned that if your vehicle breaks down on a road trip they will tow a replacement to you and pick up your vehicle to get fixed. So you can be on your way. This is all part of the Flexee lease program so he has inventory on hand to just replace vehicles or swap your out temporarily until your gets fixed.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
OK, it will be towed to a Firestone, which is excellent. Then what? Will they pay for a rental? For how long? I'm about to leave for a 6-week trip to Canada in my Tesla Model Y, and I'm wondering maybe it's too an ambitious plan. Maybe I should take my 2017 Kia Sorento instead. If I break down, having a Kia Sorento fixed by a local dealer seems to be a much more feasible event than having a Model Y fixed without delaying our trip. If they had to order a Model Y part that's on back order, would Tesla give me a rental for the duration of my trip? Because I don't want to have to drive half the way to where it broke down to pick it up. Would Tesla deliver my repaired car to me in Canada? Would they bring it to the US border for me to pick it up? I doubt it on both counts.

As long as you drive an EV in town, it's not a big issue. But, with my 1400-mile trip one way, this could be a devastating vacation-killing event.
I'm just saying the chances of breaking down on a trip are pretty slim. Anecdotally for me, once in 25 years. I'm not sure what the full roadside plan is for Fisker. Maybe get AAA coverage in addition?

No, Tesla will not give you a rental. Currently most service centers only give out Uber credits. They may have one or two loaners for long term service (1 week+) but that may not even be available. You're on your own, to rent a car yourself. When repaired, you would have to get the car or have the car shipped yourself.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think fisker has mentioned that if your vehicle breaks down on a road trip they will tow a replacement to you and pick up your vehicle to get fixed. So you can be on your way. This is all part of the Flexee lease program so he has inventory on hand to just replace vehicles or swap your out temporarily until your gets fixed.
Sounds good. We shall see how it works.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts