Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been a few news stories over the past week about how well Polestar is quietly doing.
Is Polestar the quiet and Steady Tortoise and the other manufacturers are the Hares?

In a related note, the Polestar3 pricing has been revealed and it is more expensive than a ONE :oops:

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
1,255 Posts
The Polestar 3 is a class larger than the Ocean (~195" vs 188"). They see their main competitor as the Porsche Cayenne. So yes, very expensive.

The Polestar 4 (few years out) is supposed to be about the size of the Ocean.

They have backing from Geely (largest owner after the spin off) and the use of Volvo factories, so they are not really quite the startup the say Rivian/Lucid/Fisker are.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
802 Posts
They have backing from Geely (largest owner after the spin off) and the use of Volvo factories, so they are not really quite the startup the say Rivian/Lucid/Fisker are.
I continue to scratch my head on the ownership structure here which seems needlessly complex (I am sure there is a method to the seeming madness). Since the flotation, 3.8% of Polestar is in the public market, ~48% is owned directly by Geely Automotive and ~48% is owned by Volvo, but then Geely Auto owns 83% of Volvo so Geely Auto really owns ~90% of Polestar.

Meanwhile Geely Automotive is owned by Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, which in turn is owned by Li Shufu (aka Eric Li, world's 62nd richest person). When all the dust settles it looks like Mr. Shufu owns 90% of Polestar and 83% of Volvo. (He also owns controlling interest in Lotus, Smart, a bunch of other auto brands, and 10% of Daimler.) Very interesting guy especially for someone with a comparatively low public profile.

• Wow
Reactions: Deafsoundguy
1 - 4 of 4 Posts