Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally looking to buy a dual level (L1 & L2) portable charger. I want the ability to charge at 120 or 240 anywhere I travel. Preferably with a NEMA 14-50 plug on the 240 side. But I also want something UL listed. I've looked at Muststart Travelmaster cables but the one I wanted is sold out. Grizzl-e still hasn't released their "Mini" portable charger. Webasto had the popular "Turbocord" a while back but that model was discontinued in favor of a new Webasto "Go" unit which is supposed to launch this summer. The Shell cable is available and it has some interesting features but it's seems quite bulky.

I know Amazon has a million cheap options for sale from unknown companies with no safety certifications or listings. I'm not looking to go cheap. I'm looking for reliable and safe.

Recommendations please?

·
Registered
MB GLA, Reserved Ocean Ultra, Ocean Pear and BMW I4
505 Posts
Finally looking to buy a dual level (L1 & L2) portable charger. I want the ability to charge at 120 or 240 anywhere I travel. Preferably with a NEMA 14-50 plug on the 240 side. But I also want something UL listed. I've looked at Muststart Travelmaster cables but the one I wanted is sold out. Grizzl-e still hasn't released their "Mini" portable charger. Webasto had the popular "Turbocord" a while back but that model was discontinued in favor of a new Webasto "Go" unit which is supposed to launch this summer. The Shell cable is available and it has some interesting features but it's seems quite bulky.

I know Amazon has a million cheap options for sale from unknown companies with no safety certifications or listings. I'm not looking to go cheap. I'm looking for reliable and safe.

Recommendations please?
WoW, you know charging with 120v a battery of over 100kwh will probably take closely 2 days!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WoW, you know charging with 120v a battery of over 100kwh will probably take closely 2 days!!!
Yeah, not making 120 my primary charging choice. Just want to have that option when I'm somewhere I don't have access to 240. Also this dual charger will not be used exclusively on the Ocean. It will be shared with another car with a different battery size.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Are you saying that the Ocean will not have a travel charger? I just bought an ID.4, and it comes with a L1 travel charger (using the regular 120V American plug), but it's been discovered that if you purchase a plug adapter and connect this charger to a 220V - 240V outlet, it actually becomes an L2 charger.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
271 Posts
I have been looking at the Mustart as well. It can handle anything from regular old wall plug to a NEMA 14-50 at 32 amps (which would be my every day setup). My thinking is that I can use the 14-50 at home and throw it in the trunk if I go out on a road trip. This is what I do today with the Tesla Mobile Charger. At $379 is it pricy but not awful for a 2-for-1 home/travel charger.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR | 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
326 Posts
I have several friends that charge their cars using Level 1 only. They do not drive much and always make sure to keep it plugged in and charging whenever possible. For when they do have longer trips, they just fast charge. For any new EV owners (unless they do drive far each day), I always recommend starting with Level 1 and then figuring out the best system for them after driving for a few months. We still do not know for certain what the Fisker will come with but assuming it will have some type of mobile charger.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you saying that the Ocean will not have a travel charger? I just bought an ID.4, and it comes with a L1 travel charger (using the regular 120V American plug), but it's been discovered that if you purchase a plug adapter and connect this charger to a 220V - 240V outlet, it actually becomes an L2 charger.
No, never suggested the Ocean would not have a charger. Although it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't. Just looking to get feedback from others as many folks on this forum are already EV owners of other brands and may have likely made that purchase. This question is not exclusive to the Ocean. My other car does not come with a charger and so I want to have one so I have multiple options when I travel.

·
Registered
MB GLA, Reserved Ocean Ultra, Ocean Pear and BMW I4
505 Posts
It's not a good idea to use a 120V cable in a 240V outlet, it will heat up and cause a fire. 🤨

1 - 8 of 8 Posts