Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Referral Code: 8Z0AXK 63,000+
1,317 Posts
Thankfully, they're not using LG batteries. Another I Pace caught on fire recently I believe.
Yes, it looks pretty devastating!
Gonzalo Salazar wisely drove his SMOKING i Pace out of the garage….

”On June 16, I plugged the car in before going to bed. In the morning of June 17, I woke up and unplugged the car. Later that morning, I set out to run some errands. I drove about 12 miles that morning before returning back home and parking the car back in the garage, leaving the garage door open. As I was doing things at home, I heard pops coming from the garage. I decided to go see where the sounds were coming from, and upon walking into the garage, I faced a thick wall of smoke. My thought immediately was, ‘When there is smoke there is fire,’ and I need to get the car out of the house garage.”

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yeah I just read this story. He is describing the sounds of a run-away thermal event. Which is a chain reaction that is very hard to stop once started. Typically this kind of thing happens when the battery chemistry is exposed to air (like a breach from an accident, for example). Will be interested to find out what caused this if they ever make it public. Not a good look for LG, either way.

·
Registered
Ocean Extreme
255 Posts
Unfortunately I have a SamSuck fridge... definitely bad, but LG's are not far off (in-laws had problems with that one as well). But Samsung definitely takes the cake for crappy fridge designs.

·
Registered
MB GLA, Reserved Ocean Ultra, Ocean Pear and BMW I4. Patience is a virtue!
721 Posts
The problem of fire come from a bad sealing of the battery or a breach on it permitting the air to come in. Lithium and air = fire.
This info come from a friend of me who is orwner of a battery cie.

·
Registered
145 Posts
No, Tesla does not own “battery lines” of Samsung and LG, per se. Tesla, like any manufacturer that outsources batteries, has it’s own battery chemistry for the batteries they use in their vehicles. Battery chemistries is one of the IP that separates how they perform (e.g. VW, Chevy, Tesla, etc can have the same battery manufacturer but the batteries be remarkably different). Manufacturing quality is another (for safety - e.g. fires).

Reactions: HotIce
1 - 16 of 16 Posts