Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning All thought I would share the list of the current EVs that will qualify under the new tax credit Bill for at least $3750. Now I think in the next year or 2 TEsla will be able to claim full credit but only time will tell. This is from Consumer Reports so take it for what it is just pretty much an idea of what will be able to use some of the new Tax Credit Bill.

Although we don’t know which vehicles will meet the battery portion of the tax credit, these are the current and upcoming models made in North America with versions that cost less than the bill requires:
  • Cadillac Lyriq (only if it is classified as an SUV)
  • Chevrolet Blazer EV
  • Chevrolet Bolt
  • Chevrolet Bolt EUV
  • Chevrolet Silverado EV (with certain options and trim levels)
  • Ford F-150 Lightning (with certain options and trim levels)
  • Ford Mustang Mach-E
  • Nissan Leaf
  • Rivian R1S (with certain options and trim levels)
  • Rivian R1T (with certain options and trim levels)
  • Tesla Cybertruck (with certain options and trim levels)
  • Tesla Model 3 (with certain options and trim levels)
  • Tesla Model Y (only if it is classified as an SUV, and only with certain options and trim levels)
  • Volkswagen ID.4 (only 2023+ models made in Tennessee)
Source: EVs that will Qualify List

· Registered
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
1,063 Posts
Thanks for posting. Really astonishing how small this list! Just for interest, here is a list of vehicles available in 2022/2023 that are NOT eligible (made by me):

• Audi Q4 e-Tron
  • Audi Q4 e-Tron Sportback
  • Audi Q6 e-Tron
  • Audi e-Tron
  • Audi e-Tron Sportback
  • Audi e-Tron GT
  • BMW i4
  • BMW iX
  • BMW 7
  • Chevrolet Silverado RST
  • Fisker Ocean
  • Ford Lightning (any extended range versions)
  • Genesis GV60
  • GMC Hummer
  • Honda Prologue
  • Hyundai Kona EV
  • Hyundai Ioniq 5
  • Hyundai Ioniq 6
  • Hyundai Ioniq 7
  • Jaguar i-Pace
  • Kia Niro EV
  • Kia EV6
  • Kia EV9
  • Lexus RZ
  • Lucid Air
  • Mazda MX30
  • Mercedes EQB
  • Mercedes EQE
  • Mercedes EQS
  • Mini Electric
  • Nissan Aryia
  • Polestar 2
  • Porsche Taycan
  • Porsche Macan EV
  • Rivian R1T*
  • Rivian R1S*
  • Tesla Model S
  • Tesla Model X
  • Toyota BZ4X
  • Subaru Solterra
  • VinFast VF8
  • VinFast VF9
  • Volvo C40 ReCharge
  • Volvo XC40 Recharge
  • VW ID.Buzz
* None of the currently available Rivian Quad-Motor Models qualify. A future dual motor will qualify if they hold pricing.

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Leaf Plus is a nice car. 100 kW charging and over 200 miles of range perfect city car, and can even be used for long-distance travel if not a in a hurry.
Due to be retired after this year

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for posting. Really astonishing how small this list! Just for interest, here is a list of vehicles available in 2022/2023 that are NOT eligible (made by me):

• Audi Q4 e-Tron
  • Audi Q4 e-Tron Sportback
  • Audi Q6 e-Tron
  • Audi e-Tron
  • Audi e-Tron Sportback
  • Audi e-Tron GT
  • BMW i4
  • BMW iX
  • BMW 7
  • Chevrolet Silverado RST
  • Fisker Ocean
  • Ford Lightning Platinum
  • Genesis GV60
  • GMC Hummer
  • Honda Prologue
  • Hyundai Kona EV
  • Hyundai Ioniq 5
  • Hyundai Ioniq 6
  • Hyundai Ioniq 7
  • Jaguar i-Pace
  • Kia Niro EV
  • Kia EV6
  • Kia EV9
  • Lexus RZ
  • Lucid Air
  • Mazda MX30
  • Mercedes EQB
  • Mercedes EQE
  • Mercedes EQS
  • Mini Electric
  • Nissan Aryia
  • Polestar 2
  • Porsche Taycan
  • Porsche Macan EV
  • Rivian R1T*
  • Rivian R1S*
  • Tesla Model S
  • Tesla Model X
  • Toyota BZ4X
  • Subaru Solterra
  • VinFast VF8
  • VinFast VF9
  • Volvo C40 ReCharge
  • Volvo XC40 Recharge
  • VW ID.Buzz
* None of the currently available Rivian Quad-Motor Models qualify. A future dual motor will qualify if they hold pricing.
The VF8 will qualify in 2024 not sure if the VF9 is going to be built as well in NC but the VF8 will qualify for $3750 in 2024.

· Registered
1,063 Posts
The VF8 will qualify in 2024 not sure if the VF9 is going to be built as well in NC but the VF8 will qualify for $3750 in 2024.
Yes, but no one who has a current reservation will qualify. Will have to wait for US production to come online. I expect Fisker will do same by 2024.

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Just noted that with the just-announced price hikes, ALL extended range versions of the F150 Lightning are now too expensive to qualify for the credit.

· Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
1,451 Posts
On the first list, you may add Polestar 3 (with certain options and trim levels). Although we don't know the exact price (70k? 80K?) it will be made in Charleston, SC.

Reactions: BayouCityBob

· Registered
1,063 Posts
On the first list, you may add Polestar 3 (with certain options and trim levels). Although we don't know the exact price (70k? 80K?) it will be made in Charleston, SC.
And remove all the F150 Lightning extended range vehicles as the new pricing announced today knocks all of them out. (Why would Ford do that?!?)

· Registered
1,063 Posts
True I have a VF8 reservation but since I'm not a Vinfirst holder I can wait and I think in 2024 is when they do away with battery leasing as well.
I think it is super wise to wait until '24 to make a decision. I think a lot of suffering will happen between now and then given the way this law has been written. We may see a bunch of final assembly move to US (which is what it was supposed to do, but could have been done soooooo much more elegantly by creating a transition period) from Fisker/Hyundai/Kia etc. and we may see a pretty meaningful relaxation of what "final assembly" means. I would also heartily endorse your view to wait until the battery leasing is no longer mandatory on the VinFast. Patience with EVs is looking very wise in the US for next year (or moving super fast to get your vehicle this year!).

· Registered
100 Posts
I have seen several sources suggest that final assembly in North America gets half of the $7500 credit. However, my interpretation of the bill is that final assembly in North America is a requirement that just makes the vehicle eligible for full or partial credit. The Critical Mineral requirement gets $3,750 and the Battery Component requirement gets the remaining $3,750. How do others interpret this?

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is breakdown

Assembly needs to be done in USA or USFTA country

That gets you 3750

The rest depends on battery manufacturing and where minerals are mined. However mostly all minerals are mined in China right now. So nobody will get full 7500 right now.

Tesla might in about 2 more years as they are working on moving their battery operations to USA.

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Here is breakdown

Assembly needs to be done in USA or USFTA country

That gets you 3750

The rest depends on battery manufacturing and where minerals are mined. However mostly all minerals are mined in China right now. So nobody will get full 7500 right now.

Tesla might in about 2 more years as they are working on moving their battery operations to USA.
Batteries do not need to be produced in US. Only need to have 40% of the minerals (by value) from countries with free trade agreements with US (e.g. Australia, Chile, Canada, etc.) and not have battery components / assembly in one of the foreign entities of concern. So Tesla may be able to qualify quite quickly.

· Registered
73 Posts
Updated list:

One common piece of misinformation floating around is the "half credit for NA assembly" which does not exist. The EV tax credit in 2023 is solely based on the battery. There are two $3750 halves.

The rules for the critical minerals is due at the end of the month.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts