Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks Henrik for my most recent hyper-fixation. Going down the rabbit hole of research into the Ocean, I ended up on the Magna website looking at a bunch of the products they have created. It was fun to see the different products they showcase and recognize them in the Ocean or speculate as to whether we will see them. You can also see them present in a lot of other ICEs/BEVs out there (cough cough.. I-pace). A lot I also haven't seen much of meaning Henrik isn't mistaken in saying the Ocean will have a lot of firsts. I thought others may enjoy so feel free to check out some of the links if you are bored or hyper-fixate like myself.

Power Flush Handles - I feel like I have seen these somewhere..

Mirrors & Overheard Consoles - feature integration | Magna - The reason the Ocean won't have a rear wiper.

SmartAccess - Power Charge Flap | Mechatronics - Two in one. One motion to charge and check to see how dirty your car is.

ADAS & Automated Driving - SEE MORE | Magna - The rendering here looks vaguely familiar..

Trim & Engineered Glass - exteriors customers crave | Magna - Now all our doggos will know who to really thank.

https://www.magna.com/products/power-vision/electrified-powertrain-technologies/etelligentreach - Honourable mention for torque vectoring and decoupling.

https://www.magna.com/products/power-vision/powertrain-subsystems-components - More coupling goodness. And likely a lot of aluminum in the Ocean. Recycled cans? :)

https://www.magna.com/products/seating-systems/structural-products - Less likely to make an appearance but how cool would this be for us cargo space fanatics!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I asked Henrik about the power charge port and he told me that the Ocean was not going to have it. I'm intrigued to know if the lit door handles make production.
I am actually glad to hear this. All these small motors and actuators on these EVs are cool, but I don't want to have to deal with them breaking.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I am actually glad to hear this. All these small motors and actuators on these EVs are cool, but I don't want to have to deal with them breaking.
We will find out next month as the production prototypes are in the USA for the Fi Pilot testing or the ADAS testing with the 3 test vehicles shipped here. I am sure someone will get a picture of them. They will probably be the Oceans Camo'd. So maybe we will not see the lighted door handles but I think that is a nice touch though at night when approaching vehicles.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We will find out next month as the production prototypes are in the USA for the Fi Pilot testing or the ADAS testing with the 3 test vehicles shipped here. I am sure someone will get a picture of them. They will probably be the Oceans Camo'd. So maybe we will not see the lighted door handles but I think that is a nice touch though at night when approaching vehicles.
Yes, the lights are neat. I hope they make it to production as well.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If a motorized charge port door opening probably once a day worries you, the motorized door handles constantly opening and closing are going to give you a heart attack. :p
Lol they definitely will. Already been researching how often they fail. Depending on who Fisker makes a deal with for service, I may not have a service location near me in Central Canada. So I don't want to be stuck with non-working parts of the vehicle for months at a time. But still, it may be worth it..

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR | 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
835 Posts
If a motorized charge port door opening probably once a day worries you, the motorized door handles constantly opening and closing are going to give you a heart attack. :p
I am in the same boat; I would prefer not to have motorize door handles either. The M3 has a motorized charge port and the ID.4 has a gas cap style door (push and pops open, push to close). They both lock when the car is locked but the ID.4 is faster and easier to use. There are also plenty of stories of the M3 charge port to open during car washes and some have been damaged by the process.

·
Super Moderator
1,731 Posts
I am in the same boat; I would prefer not to have motorize door handles either. The M3 has a motorized charge port and the ID.4 has a gas cap style door (push and pops open, push to close). They both lock when the car is locked but the ID.4 is faster and easier to use. There are also plenty of stories of the M3 charge port to open during car washes and some have been damaged by the process.
My concern was when it's snowing or sleeting, it's going to be hard to open that door whereas with a motorized charge port door, the torque on the door can break the ice. The video linked above shows that the motors are strong enough to break through ice. Tesla fixed the charge port doors opening in carwashes with 'Car Wash mode'.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My concern was when it's snowing or sleeting, it's going to be hard to open that door whereas with a motorized charge port door, the torque on the door can break the ice. The video linked above shows that the motors are strong enough to break through ice. Tesla fixed the charge port doors opening in carwashes with 'Car Wash mode'.
I have a feeling he will put a heating section on the Winter Mode to help melt the ice on those charge port doors or maybe it will be a standard option for people in the more Wintery areas in the world.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know if they will. I didn't see anything about that in the Magna site information, so they would likely have to go third party for that feature. Not sure it they would think it worth it on their end. Especially if its possible the interior of the vehicle has preconditioning that may help alleviate some ice buildup.

·
Registered
2012 Volvo S60 Referral M37TH5
811 Posts
Thanks Henrik for my most recent hyper-fixation. Going down the rabbit hole of research into the Ocean, I ended up on the Magna website looking at a bunch of the products they have created. It was fun to see the different products they showcase and recognize them in the Ocean or speculate as to whether we will see them. You can also see them present in a lot of other ICEs/BEVs out there (cough cough.. I-pace). A lot I also haven't seen much of meaning Henrik isn't mistaken in saying the Ocean will have a lot of firsts. I thought others may enjoy so feel free to check out some of the links if you are bored or hyper-fixate like myself.

Power Flush Handles - I feel like I have seen these somewhere..

Mirrors & Overheard Consoles - feature integration | Magna - The reason the Ocean won't have a rear wiper.

SmartAccess - Power Charge Flap | Mechatronics - Two in one. One motion to charge and check to see how dirty your car is.

ADAS & Automated Driving - SEE MORE | Magna - The rendering here looks vaguely familiar..

Trim & Engineered Glass - exteriors customers crave | Magna - Now all our doggos will know who to really thank.

https://www.magna.com/products/power-vision/electrified-powertrain-technologies/etelligentreach - Honourable mention for torque vectoring and decoupling.

Powertrain Subsystems & Components - metal forming | Magna - More coupling goodness. And likely a lot of aluminum in the Ocean. Recycled cans? :)

Structural Products - the future of vehicle cabins | Magna - Less likely to make an appearance but how cool would this be for us cargo space fanatics!
I didn't know how impressive a company Magna was until pretty recently. All I knew was that they were a contract manufacturer.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Neither did I until I heard an interesting fact about them on the Canadian Investor Podcast. Turns out they are one of the top 5 largest Canadian companies. Went to Wikipedia and low and behold,

View attachment 841
I'm sad Tim Hortons is not on that list. :confused:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
At least it bodes well for service that the majority of parts come straight from Magna. That way if a door handle breaks and there isn't a service centre near me I could probably just go over to my nearest Jag dealership and order the same part from the i-pace.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
1,222 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Tim Hortons is owned by Burger King. :)
And Burger King is owned by Restaurant Brands International which is headquartered in Toronto! :)

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
1,222 Posts
My point is that there isn't a company listing for Tim Hortons due to the ownership.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts