Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Have a reservation put down and would like the Matte blue version. I wonder how matte paint will hold up in new england winters (is it a good idea at all?!) and if Fisker will deliver to NH next year!

·
Registered
Referral Code: 8Z0AXK 63,000+
1,336 Posts
@sethfiermonti,

Big Sur Blue (matte metallic paint) is only available, as an option, on the Fisker Ocean One model
If you really want this colour, and do NOT want to spurge for the Ocean One ($68,995)
then order the no cost white colour and add the Matte Blue film tint.

There must be an aftermarket vendor that could provide this shade or one very similar

@Sportstick,

Personally I love the Big Sur Blue but had no idea it's a major PITA
That's one reason I kinda like the Silver Lining (colour) to hide the dirt

·
Super Moderator
356 Posts
@sethfiermonti,

Big Sur Blue (matte metallic paint) is only available, as an option, on the Fisker Ocean One model
If you really want this colour, and do NOT want to spurge for the Ocean One ($68,995)
then order the no cost white colour and add the Matte Blue film tint.

There must be an aftermarket vendor that could provide this shade or one very similar
If obsessed with matte, any vehicle can always be vinyl wrapped in any of many colors, including many in matte.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Did some research. Looks like you can apply a ceramic coating once a year, pretty easy DIY to protect matte paint. Now I'm really considering changing my color on my ocean One.
^^This!!
I found a few companies that supply matte cleaning products and i plan to find a good detailer who can put a protective film (clearcoat/matte) on the front and leading edges.

·
Registered
128 Posts
To each his own. I have had 2 different Toyota Tacomas with matte colors. My current Tacoma is Lunar Rock and I have had no issues with either. i did apply clearcoat and treat it as I have any other vehicle. Intend to go with Big Sur Blue myself.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
799 Posts
To each his own. I have had 2 different Toyota Tacomas with matte colors. My current Tacoma is Lunar Rock and I have had no issues with either. i did apply clearcoat and treat it as I have any other vehicle. Intend to go with Big Sur Blue myself.
All of these posts make it sound way too complicated. What is your real-world experience? I am not going to buy special cleaning products etc. I will take the car down to the local hand-wash periodically and use the DIY pressure washer at other times. I have no interest in adding complexity to my life babysitting a car finish. But I do like the matte look. Is it really this finicky? Or will it be fine as long as I do not wax and buff it (which seems pretty obv., tbh)?

·
Registered
128 Posts
All of these posts make it sound way too complicated. What is your real-world experience? I am not going to buy special cleaning products etc. I will take the car down to the local hand-wash periodically and use the DIY pressure washer at other times. I have no interest in adding complexity to my life babysitting a car finish. But I do like the matte look. Is it really this finicky? Or will it be fine as long as I do not wax and buff it (which seems pretty obv., tbh)?
I put a clearcoat on and wash/buff by hand every few months. Reason, I live at 6000’ in New Mexico and the sun can be intense. I would, however, recommend washing with a garden hose and avoiding carwash unless it’s brushless. However, it states on the Fisker site that the color is a “metallic matte” so that may add a lot more protection. No ‘‘special” products for me and I intend to go with Big Sur Blue. Love that color.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'd still put PPF on a matte finish immediately. The Big Sur Blue does look absolutely amazing and it's apparently the most popular color that's being chosen.
PPF is the way to go. A good ceramic coating - get it professionally applied, its a $79k car so don’t try to save $300 by doing it yourself as matte finishes are finicky and will show “oopsies” really fast!- will do a lot to protect from tar/oil/salt/bird droppings/sap and even some light stone/gravel/sand protection. They make a protectant for glass as well so possibly even consider coating the solar sky if it does not impede performance of the panels as I am sure its probably like $6-$10k to replace that glass panel.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
799 Posts
I'd still put PPF on a matte finish immediately. The Big Sur Blue does look absolutely amazing and it's apparently the most popular color that's being chosen.
But - and again forgive my ignorance on this as I have always just added a ceramic protection to the vehicle never PPF - if I am going to spring for PPF anyway, couldn't I just choose a matte ppf and get the same effect on any color? And if I am going to spring for a PPF, then I could just wrap the entire thing in Forest Green (I think a good color for this car) or whatever. Hmm...

This whole paint thing is super exasperating to me. I keep bouncing between color choices. I have never had this issue before, but the Ocean is such an interesting looking vehicle and the different paint colors create a very dramatic difference in overall appearance, IMO.

Reactions: SeaPhil4

·
Registered
703 Posts
But - and again forgive my ignorance on this as I have always just added a ceramic protection to the vehicle never PPF - if I am going to spring for PPF anyway, couldn't I just choose a matte ppf and get the same effect on any color? And if I am going to spring for a PPF, then I could just wrap the entire thing in Forest Green (I think a good color for this car) or whatever. Hmm...

This whole paint thing is super exasperating to me. I keep bouncing between color choices. I have never had this issue before, but the Ocean is such an interesting looking vehicle and the different paint colors create a very dramatic difference in overall appearance, IMO.
Yeah, i think i confused even myself with the last post. I plan for either ceramic or a ppf clear matte protector but they are 2 different things. The ppf from my research is more resilient and obviously you can replace it when damaged whereas the ceramic is not quite as durable but you do not remove it.

·
Super Moderator
1,780 Posts

No issues at all! I have prior(and active) experience in the detailing world so I am happy to help. PPF started out as one option and one option only, and that was clear. Today, you have a bunch of different colors and types for PPF. In my experience, people who want to PFF or wrap their cars generally don't spring for a color that they'll have to pay for because they're going to end up covering it up anyway. For instance, if you're going to be purchasing Big Sur Blue or Forest Green on your Ocean, then you'd probably end up just getting a clear film put on because you want to show off that color but you also don't want any dings or chips. If you decided that you wanted a different color than what Fisker offers, Purple for example, then you'd just get Great White and then just put PPF on it to 1.Protect the paint underneath and 2.) Express yourself with whatever color that you want.

If you have any questions at all or need help, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm more than happy to help.

·
Registered
703 Posts
No issues at all! I have prior(and active) experience in the detailing world so I am happy to help. PPF started out as one option and one option only, and that was clear. Today, you have a bunch of different colors and types for PPF. In my experience, people who want to PFF or wrap their cars generally don't spring for a color that they'll have to pay for because they're going to end up covering it up anyway. For instance, if you're going to be purchasing Big Sur Blue or Forest Green on your Ocean, then you'd probably end up just getting a clear film put on because you want to show off that color but you also don't want any dings or chips. If you decided that you wanted a different color than what Fisker offers, Purple for example, then you'd just get Great White and then just put PPF on it to 1.Protect the paint underneath and 2.) Express yourself with whatever color that you want.

If you have any questions at all or need help, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm more than happy to help.
@HotIce
What is your opinion on the protection quality of ceramic coatings for say, chips or light scratches (parking lot dings etc)?

·
Super Moderator
1,780 Posts
@HotIce
What is your opinion on the protection quality of ceramic coatings for say, chips or light scratches (parking lot dings etc)?
Ceramic coatings won't provide significant protection against door dings or chips from rocks coming at your paint from say, a car on the highway that's in front of you or the person next to you not paying attention. They do a great job at preventing things like light scratches and swirls and help keep dust from settling on the car. It also provides a great layer of protection from UV damaging your clear coat.

Ceramic coatings really are a maintenance thing. They provide a basic layer of protection against outside elements but they also provide a lot of gloss and 'pop' to paint. The biggest advantage of a ceramic coating is the protection it provides from UV, light scratches, bird poop, and rain from spotting. Next time it rains, watch how the water beads on your car and just rolls off. It's really fun!

·
Super Moderator
356 Posts
If you decided that you wanted a different color than what Fisker offers, Purple for example, then you'd just get Great White and then just put PPF on it to 1.Protect the paint underneath and 2.) Express yourself with whatever color that you want.
I recently helped a friend get her car wrapped. The local pro told me anyone who might want to get a new car wrapped should order black as the OEM paint and not white, as white becomes more instantly visible at any possible edges while black tends to "disappear" and is more forgiving. A different point of view, but possibly worth considering.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
1,250 Posts
FYI, people need to distinguish when they say "Wrap". It could mean a thin colored vinyl that is mostly used to change the color of the car - and provide some paint protection. PPF is the other form of wrap that is clear and much thicker and provides very good protection against rock chips, bugs, scratches, etc. It usually comes in glossy or satin (matte/stealth) finish. Putting a satin PPF on the Mariana will give the effect of Big Sur Blue. Matte paint is a conundrum to me. I would definitely want protection on it - but that protection may change the appearance. Unless you cover the entire car, putting a satin PPF on BSB may not match the unprotected areas. I plan to install glossy full front PPF on my Mariana.

Second, ceramic coating can be used on paint or on wraps. I had ceramic installed over the ppf to provide even better water sheeting and less maintenance.

(BTW, my first car to get PPF was with XPEL in 2002 with my Lexus IS300)

Here's a view of my Volvo getting done with a full front PPF and ceramic on everything:

·
Super Moderator
1,780 Posts
FYI, people need to distinguish when they say "Wrap". It could mean a thin colored vinyl that is mostly used to change the color of the car - and provide some paint protection. PPF is the other form of wrap that is clear and much thicker and provides very good protection against rock chips, bugs, scratches, etc. It usually comes in glossy or satin (matte/stealth) finish. Putting a satin PPF on the Mariana will give the effect of Big Sur Blue. Matte paint is a conundrum to me. I would definitely want protection on it - but that protection may change the appearance. Unless you cover the entire car, putting a satin PPF on BSB may not match the unprotected areas. I plan to install glossy full front PPF on my Mariana.

Second, ceramic coating can be used on paint or on wraps. I had ceramic installed over the ppf to provide even better water sheeting and less maintenance.

(BTW, my first car to get PPF was with XPEL in 2002 with my Lexus IS300)

Here's a view of my Volvo getting done with a full front PPF and ceramic on everything:

PPF doesn't have to be clear. Back when people referred to it as 'Clear Bra' which was coined by 3M, then yes. Today, there are all kind of different types of PPF film. From matte black to purple. The biggest difference between a wrap and PPF Film is that wraps are usually have an adhesive on the back and PPF usually needs time to cure to the paint(think of it like applying a plastic screen protector to your phone) and most of the time, requires a wet installation. Wraps are just what you described, a thin vinyl that is colored and sticks to your car. I'm not sure if I would call PPF a wrap per-se. I've seen wraps ruin matte paint. I can't correlate that to anything other than maybe it being poor quality wrap with poor adhesive. Something to keep in mind.

You can absolutely ceramic coat PPF! just make sure you use the correct coating for the wrap.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts