Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not like saying bad things about other vehicles because people have different tastes and priorities, but I am calling this one: new Mercedes EQB is an insanely overpriced POJ!

In a nutshell:

Slow: 0-60 in 6.6 - 8.0 (vs Ocean 3.6)
Short Range: 250 miles WLTP (vs Ocean 391)
Lousy DCFC: 100kw (vs 250 or 350)
Not very big: 184 x 72 x 65 inches
Expensive: $55k - $58k

This feels like the SUV Mercedes should have introduced in 2017 when the Bolt was coming out. This is almost Toyota-like in its level of disappointment (well not quite, but close).

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
When Hyundai and Kia EVs are reaching similar prices, Mercedes Benz doesn't seem so expensive. But I agree, the specs are not that good.

Reactions: MarkD

·
Registered
474 Posts
I do not like saying bad things about other vehicles because people have different tastes and priorities, but I am calling this one: new Mercedes EQB is an insanely overpriced POJ!

In a nutshell:

This feels like the SUV Mercedes should have introduced in 2017 when the Bolt was coming out. This is almost Toyota-like in its level of disappointment (well not quite, but close).

Not to mention it is yawn-inducing. Even if you like the style you can't argue they didn't play it super "safe". I would never look twice at this thing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
When Hyundai and Kia EVs are reaching similar prices, Mercedes Benz doesn't seem so expensive. But I agree, the specs are not that good.
Agreed, the local Kia dealer in my area is marking up the EV6 by six thousand. they're asking 59k for a Wind trim level. The EQB will suit someone with a short commute just fine. Not everyone is looking for a long-range EV.

·
Registered
66 Posts

In a nutshell:

I agree the specs are less than desirable and Mercedes should have just come out with a dedicated EV platform EQB but to call it a POJ is a reach. A Mercedes Benz interior is hard to match even at a EQB level. Having owned Mercedes Benz vehicles for over 25 years, the brand is hard to match. The Ocean has much better specs on paper, but the interior looks cheap. I know that is going to upset some of the Ocean fan boys but truth hurts. I've been a reservation holder since Jan 5th of 2020 and reserved the Ocean because it looks like it will be a fun vehicle to drive. but will always have a Mercedes Benz in my garage.

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts
I agree the specs are less than desirable and Mercedes should have just come out with a dedicated EV platform EQB but to call it a POJ is a reach. A Mercedes Benz interior is hard to match even at a EQB level. Having owned Mercedes Benz vehicles for over 25 years, the brand is hard to match. The Ocean has much better specs on paper, but the interior looks cheap. I know that is going to upset some of the Ocean fan boys but truth hurts. I've been a reservation holder since Jan 5th of 2020 and reserved the Ocean because it looks like it will be a fun vehicle to drive. but will always have a Mercedes Benz in my garage.
The 2000’s was not an era where it was hard to match MB interiors. The amount of cost saving was blatantly obvious. They got their act together though and the W222 S class ushered in a new era. The W204 C had the best interior in its class throughout the entire generation. The B9 A4 came in close second.

I don’t think the Ocean interior looks cheap at all. Probably best in class. We’ll see how fit and finish is soon enough.

P.S. I have been blessed and fortunate enough to also have family own BMW‘s and MB’s for 20+ years and see how they have changed through generations.

·
Registered
66 Posts
But the Hyundai/Kia prices put this thing to shame when you look at the overall package and what they offer. This has bean counting department written all over it.
[/QUOTE
But the Hyundai/Kia prices put this thing to shame when you look at the overall package and what they offer. This has bean counting department written all over it.
What prices are you talkin
The 2000’s was not an era where it was hard to match MB interiors. The amount of cost saving was blatantly obvious. They got their act together though and the W222 S class ushered in a new era. The W204 C had the best interior in its class throughout the entire generation. The B9 A4 came in close second.

I don’t think the Ocean interior looks cheap at all. Probably best in class. We’ll see how fit and finish is soon enough.

P.S. I have been blessed and fortunate enough to also have family own BMW‘s and MB’s for 20+ years and see how they have changed through generations.
Best in class interior? For an interior you've only seen in photographs and videos. Little bit of reach there don't you think.

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts
What prices are you talkin
I was talking about MSRP vs MSRP. in terms of price.

MarkD said:
Best in class interior? For an interior you've only seen in photographs and videos. Little bit of reach there don't you think.
I could pose the very same question to you. A bit of a reach to say that it's hard to match the EQB interior when all we have seen from the EQB is just photos.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Sinc
it does have 7 seats though.
it does have 7 seats though.
My Dealer has a EQB 350 4Matic Pinnacle Trim level fully loaded in the showroom waiting for Mercedes USA to give them the go ahead to start selling the EQB. $60,500 No MSRP Mark up. Like all Mercedes Benz the interior is nice and very comfortable. The same as a GLB.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was talking about MSRP vs MSRP. in terms of price.

I could pose the very same question to you. A bit of a reach to say that it's hard to match the EQB interior when all we have seen from the EQB is just photos.
My dealer has one in the showroom. Fully loaded 350 4Matic Pinnacle Trim. They've had it for about a week.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The EQB will suit someone with a short commute just fine. Not everyone is looking for a long-range EV.
Here is the thing: the original buyer with a short commute will then need to sell it to a person who also has a short commute and is happy with VERY slow charging speed. And so on and so forth. If you start with a vehicle that is as far behind on the fundamentals as this one, you will get pounded on the residual value. If this works for someone, all good, but I would tell them the very best advice with this car is: Lease do not buy!

A word about the charging speed to pre-empt optimistic speculation about charging curve, which really is irrelevant given the other facts. The vehicle has a 70.4kwh usable battery and 230 miles of range so it burns 306 wh/mile. Even if it had a perfectly flat charging curve and could get 100kw steady rate from 10% - 80% (not going to happen) you are stopping for a minimum of 35 minutes every two hours to get 140 miles of highway range. (Won't be nearly that good, but this is the best possible given the specs). IOW, more than 25% of your travel time will be spent charging in the best possible case, when it is new and the battery has zero degradation.

Someone might be happy with this, but boy I cannot see the value proposition here.

Reactions: HotIce

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here is the thing: the original buyer with a short commute will then need to sell it to a person who also has a short commute and is happy with VERY slow charging speed. And so on and so forth. If you start with a vehicle that is as far behind on the fundamentals as this one, you will get pounded on the residual value. If this works for someone, all good, but I would tell them the very best advice with this car is: Lease do not buy!

A word about the charging speed to pre-empt optimistic speculation about charging curve, which really is irrelevant given the other facts. The vehicle has a 70.4kwh usable battery and 230 miles of range so it burns 306 wh/mile. Even if it had a perfectly flat charging curve and could get 100kw steady rate from 10% - 80% (not going to happen) you are stopping for a minimum of 35 minutes every two hours to get 140 miles of highway range. (Won't be nearly that good, but this is the best possible given the specs). IOW, more than 25% of your travel time will be spent charging in the best possible case, when it is new and the battery has zero degradation.

Someone might be happy with this, but boy I cannot see the value proposition here.
Bjorn Nyland got a steady 100KW on the EQB with his 1000KM challenge. It's 31 minutes from 10% to 80% charge that's an additional 10 minutes compared to other EV's. Again, I'm talking about commuting, not taking on road trips. It would fit well for a person who commutes and charges at home.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bjorn Nyland got a steady 100KW on the EQB with his 1000KM challenge. It's 31 minutes from 10% to 80% charge that's an additional 10 minutes compared to other EV's. Again, I'm talking about commuting, not taking on road trips. It would fit well for a person who commutes and charges at home.
I appreciate you are talking about commuting and I agree this is effectively a commuter vehicle. However, 31 minutes for 70% fill with EPA city/hwy rating of 230 = 161 city/hwy miles. In Bjorn's 1000km challenge it took 11:05 hours vs LR Model Y AWD at 9:45, LR Model 3 at 9:15, and EV6 GT at 9:55. To me that is unacceptable and not something that a leading company like Daimler should be launching out to the market in 2022.

But I will leave it there. Your preferences may vary. I look forward to seeing what the Ocean can do on Bjorn's 1000km challenge. I expect it to trounce the Model Y LR!

Reactions: HotIce

·
Registered
66 Posts
I appreciate you are talking about commuting and I agree this is effectively a commuter vehicle. However, 31 minutes for 70% fill with EPA city/hwy rating of 230 = 161 city/hwy miles. In Bjorn's 1000km challenge it took 11:05 hours vs LR Model Y AWD at 9:45, LR Model 3 at 9:15, and EV6 GT at 9:55. To me that is unacceptable and not something that a leading company like Daimler should be launching out to the market in 2022.

But I will leave it there. Your preferences may vary. I look forward to seeing what the Ocean can do on Bjorn's 1000km challenge. I expect it to trounce the Model Y LR!
I noted that in my original post that they should have just come out with a dedicated EV platform EQB like they did with the EQS and EQE. I don't think Mercedes rushed this out to compete with Telsa. I think Mercedes rushed the EQB out to get some sales in the smaller SUV EV market. Mercedes is supposed to be coming out with an all dedicated platform EQB and EQA by 2026. Let's hope the Ocean is all that HF is saying. Getting frustrated with the lack of information. I'm torn between the Ultra and Extreme and would like to know pricing for options so I can make a decision on what trim level.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I noted that in my original post that they should have just come out with a dedicated EV platform EQB like they did with the EQS and EQE. I don't think Mercedes rushed this out to compete with Telsa. I think Mercedes rushed the EQB out to get some sales in the smaller SUV EV market. Mercedes is supposed to be coming out with an all dedicated platform EQB and EQA by 2026. Let's hope the Ocean is all that HF is saying. Getting frustrated with the lack of information. I'm torn between the Ultra and Extreme and would like to know pricing for options so I can make a decision on what trim level.
Agree on the pricing / options. I was oscillating between XT / Ultra as well. Finally just decided I would go for the One. In my experience with other vehicles (Volt & Model 3), buying the launch edition has come with a bunch of included stuff that later turned into costly options. (e.g. with Model 3 it came with lifetime premium connectivity, mobile charger with 14-50 adapter, etc.). Also comes with downside of having an early build (I had an early computer failure x2 on one vehicle and a main drive motor failure on the other). But all got fixed and no issues since.

Right now it is all but impossible to make an educated decision on which Ocean model makes the most sense. And even the fundamentals like charging speed are unknown. For all we know we could wind up with a Mach-E charging curve (in which case mine will be listed on eBay before it arrives!).

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
Both Mercedes and BMW are doing the bifurcated EV route of using existing ICE (EQB, i4) and ground up EV platforms (EQS/EQE, iX). I think they are trying to see how to maximize their existing manufacturing infrastructure along with reusing old platforms to save money.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts