Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
MB GLA, Reserved Ocean Ultra
304 Posts
I wonder how this will be incorporated into Fisker's plans - maybe a second gen Ocean pack or just added to production when available?

CATL Announces Third-Generation CTP Batteries
I am pretty sure that Fisker/Magna have already changed the configuration to get those in the car. Note that version Sport will get LFP battery and others will be NCM so the same as the new battery CTP 3.0 :)

·
Registered
Referral Code: 8Z0AXK 45,600+
722 Posts
Great News!

“According to CATL, CTP 3.0 is ready for mass production, and its official market launch is expected in April 2023”
This means it should be available for the Fisker Ocean from Day 1, start of production, Nov 17, 2022!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Fisker World,

CATL statistics:
The latest CTP 3.0 will be available in two versions, for LFP and NCM battery cell chemistries,
offering quite competitive energy density:

LFP:
≥ 160 Wh/kg
≥ 290 Wh/l

NCM:
≥ 250 Wh/kg
≥ 450 Wh/l

This may be the reason Fisker Inc will offer class-leading mileage distances
for all the Ocean models!

perhaps, one of our resident engineers (here on Oceanforums) can calculate
what the battery pack sizes will be based on these Wh/kg figures

Reactions: Baker

·
Registered
2012 Volvo S60 Referral M37TH5
498 Posts
Wow, this sounds great. Assuming that this is a different battery than what will be available at the start of production, I wonder how long it would take for this new battery to find its way into the Ocean. I'm wondering if it's too soon, will there be some buyer's remorse even though what Fisker is offering is pretty good already. Perhaps an optional upgrade.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thinking some more about this, I may consider delaying ordering an Ocean for a bit in hopes that this will be available. It's sounding like a big leap forward.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Thinking some more about this, I may consider delaying ordering an Ocean for a bit in hopes that this will be available. It's sounding like a big leap forward.
What makes you think this CATL battery pack will not be available from SOP?

·
Registered
Ocean One/Extreme, Referral ZOQ017
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fisker World,

CATL statistics:
The latest CTP 3.0 will be available in two versions, for LFP and NCM battery cell chemistries,
offering quite competitive energy density:

LFP:
≥ 160 Wh/kg
≥ 290 Wh/l

NCM:
≥ 250 Wh/kg
≥ 450 Wh/l

This may be the reason Fisker Inc will offer class-leading mileage distances
for all the Ocean models!

perhaps, one of our resident engineers (here on Oceanforums) can calculate
what the battery pack sizes will be based on these Wh/kg figures
It's kind of like buying a PC in the 80s, things were outdated on a monthly basis. With the upcoming solid state batteries from Quantumscape and Solid Power, the next generation of safer and more efficient batteries will be arriving in the next 3-5 years. Maybe a lease is a better option if you feel the car will be outdated too soon.

·
Registered
498 Posts
What makes you think this CATL battery pack will not be available from SOP?
Didn't the article say that the battery won't be available until next year? The Ocean is scheduled to start production this November as we all know. Also, I'm not sure it's as simple as replacing what they're using now. If it weighs less, there may have to be adjustments with the suspension. Just speculating of course. Also, perhaps a price difference. Maybe it'll be an optional upgrade. Maybe, perhaps even probably, this will be the battery for Fisker's more expensive cars coming in 2024. I'm just throwing things out there. :)

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Murano SL
155 Posts
Didn't the article say that the battery won't be available until next year? The Ocean is scheduled to start production this November as we all know. Also, I'm not sure it's as simple as replacing what they're using now. If it weighs less, there may have to be adjustments with the suspension. Just speculating of course. Also, perhaps a price difference. Maybe it'll be an optional upgrade. Maybe, perhaps even probably, this will be the battery for Fisker's more expensive cars coming in 2024. I'm just throwing things out there. :)
Here is what the CATL announcement said: According to the Chinese company, CTP 3.0 is ready for mass production, and its official market launch is expected in April. That's tomorrow!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Here's another article I came across.
CATL to release third generation cell-to-pack battery in April - electrive.com
"Besides the higher energy density, the advantage of CtP technology lies in the simpler construction: Since the battery modules are omitted, not only can additional wiring be dispensed with, but the batteries are also easier and thus cheaper to install. Since the “passive” material of the module sheathing and control is omitted, more active material can be installed in the same pack size, which ultimately leads to a higher energy density at pack level with the same cell technology."

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Murano SL
155 Posts
I asked on Henrik's Twitter page if he has plans for this battery with the Ocean. I'll let you know if I get a response. I'd be happy to pay more for the improved range.
IMHO, I believe that it would be best if we don't suggest to Henrik "I'd be happy to pay more" for anything!;) Seriously though, the new CATL cell-to-pack battery tech sounds potentially really good.."We don't know how accurate the estimations of potential gains are, but for sure there is a chance for some improvements, which would translate into a higher range." Personally, I'd be willing to consider paying a bit more if this new CATL cell technology if it appreciably increases the Ocean's already excellent proposed range. However, considering these statements: "Besides the higher energy density, the advantage of CtP technology lies in the simpler construction: Since the battery modules are omitted, not only can additional wiring be dispensed with, but the batteries are also easier and thus cheaper to install. Since the “passive” material of the module sheathing and control is omitted, more active material can be installed in the same pack size, which ultimately leads to a higher energy density at pack level with the same cell technology." So, perhaps, this new technology could be cheaper...and...range extending at the same time. If that were to be the case, I'd be more than happy to pay less!🤑⚡

·
Registered
MB GLA, Reserved Ocean Ultra
304 Posts
IMHO, I believe that it would be best if we don't suggest to Henrik "I'd be happy to pay more" for anything!;) Seriously though, the new CATL cell-to-pack battery tech sounds potentially really good.."We don't know how accurate the estimations of potential gains are, but for sure there is a chance for some improvements, which would translate into a higher range." Personally, I'd be willing to consider paying a bit more if this new CATL cell technology if it appreciably increases the Ocean's already excellent proposed range. However, considering these statements: "Besides the higher energy density, the advantage of CtP technology lies in the simpler construction: Since the battery modules are omitted, not only can additional wiring be dispensed with, but the batteries are also easier and thus cheaper to install. Since the “passive” material of the module sheathing and control is omitted, more active material can be installed in the same pack size, which ultimately leads to a higher energy density at pack level with the same cell technology." So, perhaps, this new technology could be cheaper...and...range extending at the same time. If that were to be the case, I'd be more than happy to pay less!🤑⚡
Do not expect the prices down, those are already goods for the features. I am pretty sure that they will get those new batteries bcs 350 miles of range need a big battery, over 82kw so those with a better efficiency could cost higher but will need less kw for the same range! I can be wrong.

·
Registered
498 Posts
This new battery makes me wonder if I should hold off a bit in reserving. I'd hate to buy an Ocean that has only 350 miles of range if something better comes along. I rarely need 350 (for that matter, the PEAR would be fine for the vast majority of my driving). However, I do occasional road trips and it would be nice to not have to stop at a charging station.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Murano SL
155 Posts
This new battery makes me wonder if I should hold off a bit in reserving. I'd hate to buy an Ocean that has only 350 miles of range if something better comes along. I rarely need 350 (for that matter, the PEAR would be fine for the vast majority of my driving). However, I do occasional road trips and it would be nice to not have to stop at a charging station.
I've thought from time to time about your situation and your reluctance to put in a reservation when I read your posts. However, I guess I just don't get your logic since you seem to be such a hardcore Ocean fan. My goodness, you're only risking $25 if things go totally haywire for you on the Ocean! Why obsess so much over 25 bucks? Of course, it's your call; but, I just don't get it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've thought from time to time about your situation and your reluctance to put in a reservation when I read your posts. However, I guess I just don't get your logic since you seem to be such a hardcore Ocean fan. My goodness, you're only risking $25 if things go totally haywire for you on the Ocean! Why obsess so much over 25 bucks? Of course, it's your call; but, I just don't get it.
It's not the money. I think that it's more of a commitment thing (yes, I know that I can back out). I just don't want to commit until I know everything that I want to know. Having said that, I sometimes feel that I'm close to taking the plunge. As you say, I wouldn't lose that much.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Murano SL
155 Posts
It's not the money. I think that it's more of a commitment thing (yes, I know that I can back out). I just don't want to commit until I know everything that I want to know. Having said that, I sometimes feel that I'm close to taking the plunge. As you say, I wouldn't lose that much.
Atta Boy! Send that reservation in and officially get in the game!! You've already lost lots of positions in the Ocean line! Please don't lose anymore time...and...perhaps lose the current pricing levels. If you get way down the reservation line you could be subject to a future price increase. You've invested to much time and effort to let that happen!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts