Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I thought everyone knew this but maybe not so it seemed worth posting since questions keep arising about various aspects of the Ocean Powertrain like how "real" the range numbers are. There is a fair amount of information out there about the powertrain and I have posted a few links below.

Main thing to understand is the Ocean is built on Magna's new eTelligentReach powertrain. (Note that this is different than their eTelligentForce for trucks or the eTelligentEco for PHEVs). Magna formally debuted this at CES this year. It has been widely reported and is known to be the Ocean's powertrain. There is a lot of discussion in the various articles about the silicon carbide inverters, the torque vectoring, the decoupling technology to improve efficiency, etc.

·
Registered
83 Posts
This is a good video that Kyle does on this technology….You can tell he really enjoy what he does:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a good video that Kyle does on this technology….You can tell he really enjoy what he does:

Thanks for posting this, I missed it! It makes me wonder if the torque vectoring integrated brakes will make it into the Ocean. The Magna engineer was not as clear on that one. Hmm... But the powertrain in the Ocean is going to be awesome. I am especially excited about the decoupling technology (which we know it has) and how well it works.

·
Registered
300 Posts
This is likely the Smart Traction torque vectoring the Extreme trim will have. It sounds like it will be an available upgrade on the Ultra. It looks pretty impressive in this video. Can't wait to see what the cost is to add it to the Ultra 😬

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1. No. Jaguar is also using it.
2. On the One/Extreme trim levels, torque vectoring and decoupling is standard. On the Ultra and Sport, it's an option.
The existing Jaguar models have a previous generation of the Magna product. The Announcement from Magna in January said the Ocean ("a new entrant") would be the first with the Reach platform.

I have seen Fisker talking about Torque vectoring and decoupling but in Kyles video they also talk about integrated braking as part of torque vectoring on the deceleration cycle. When Kyle asks if any automakers are using it he says "not yet" so not sure if this aspect of the vectoring will be coming with Ocean? Do you have additional info on that?

·
Registered
300 Posts
2. On the One/Extreme trim levels, torque vectoring and decoupling is standard. On the Ultra and Sport, it's an option.
Small correction, no Smart Traction option on the Sport, it's not AWD.

When Kyle asks if any automakers are using it he says "not yet" so not sure if this aspect of the vectoring will be coming with Ocean? Do you have ad
"Not yet" could mean "not yet for sale" or "not yet in production." Don't count out the nuance of what is said ;) Maybe it's in the Ocean and maybe it's not, but I don't take this phrasing to mean it won't be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts