Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6/12/22 reservation after discussing future options with my better half. We have an F150 Lightning reservation as well (first 20,000), so we'll be gauging how we plan to use our electric vehicle as time moves forward. We both really, really like the Ocean and what it has to offer. What we do like about the Lightning is the storage capacity of the frunk, along with the bed of the truck. Obviously the Ocean is different, but it checks as many or more boxes than the Lightning for us too. They both appeal to us, so who knows... maybe we'll just get both if we can swing it financially. LOL.

Glad to be here and learn more about the Ocean from everyone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum @dingle87!

How did you and your SO spec the Ocean and Lightning? When is the Lightning arriving?
Ultra, NightDrive (Big Sur Blue is tempting), Sea Salt or Black Abyss interior. Depending on pricing of packages, we'd be looking to add Winter and tow packages. Lightning, I was targeting the Pro (base model) with tow package, but if it isn't able to be built, I'll go up to the XLT with tow package. We didn't get invited to order in any of the first 6 waves by Ford, so we're waiting patiently. Hoping we'll be in the first quarter of 2023, but they've been ZEV state heavy on their order invites. Guess what? My reservation isn't in a ZEV state... doh! Oh well. I'm patient, we'll figure it out when the time comes.

My concern with the Lightning is the Standard Range battery. Ford price jumps like $10k to get the Extended Range, which is a deal breaker. They don't offer Extended on the Pro model either, which I potentially would want to do. Typical Ford stuff trying to get buyers baited into moving into higher trim levels or models.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey @dingle87! The Lightning and the Ocean are two solid choices for EVs. Have you owned EVs before? Or will this be your first?
It will be our first EV, so I anticipate a learning curve for us too. I'd love to end up with one of these EVs and a hybrid Ford Bronco if/when they offer one. I could see where we have a Fisker Ocean and a hybrid F150 as well. I'd like the flexibility moving forward of having ICE capability and full electric. It just makes sense to me to not be all in on one tech vs the other.

·
Registered
257 Posts
@dingle87 I have heard if you plan on doing some towing do not even bother getting the base version of the Lightning because you will be charging about every 100 miles. So if towing is something you plan on doing then I would get the XLT at least with the extended longer range battery. Just my input. Remember when towing and colder weather you will lose range.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@dingle87 I have heard if you plan on doing some towing do not even bother getting the base version of the Lightning because you will be charging about every 100 miles. So if towing is something you plan on doing then I would get the XLT at least with the extended longer range battery. Just my input.
Yeah, I've seen that as well. I'm waiting on real world experience and if that hold true, then I'll be looking Fisker Ocean and hybrid F150 / hybrid Bronco. Obviously leaning hybrid F150 for that extra towing capability.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
1,222 Posts
BTW, the Ford Lightning Pro can be ordered with the extended range pack, but you have to be a commercial/fleet order. Maybe that will change over time. Personally, driving EVs for over ten years, get the biggest battery pack - it's the most important thing. Winter driving, HVAC heating, speed, towing, degradation etc will all decrease range. I'm interested in see the upcoming Chevrolet Silverado EV with 400+ mile range. The second gen Lightning due out in a couple years will be more comparable to GM's Ultium line of EVs.

Reactions: dingle87

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW, the Ford Lightning Pro can be ordered with the extended range pack, but you have to be a commercial/fleet order. Maybe that will change over time. Personally, driving EVs for over ten years, get the biggest battery pack - it's the most important thing. Winter driving, HVAC heating, speed, towing, degradation etc will all decrease range. I'm interested in see the upcoming Chevrolet Silverado EV with 400+ mile range. The second gen Lightning due out in a couple years will be more comparable to GM's Ultium line of EVs.
This is true. I also thought about putting in a Silverado EV reservation, but maybe next month. LOL

·
Registered
Referral Code: 8Z0AXK 63,000+
1,317 Posts
@dingle87
Welcome to The Oceanforum...lots of great info like @MTN Ranger
get the biggest battery pack - it's the most important thing. Winter driving, HVAC heating, speed, towing, degradation etc will all decrease range.
If you plan on long distance driving like cross-country trips,
the larger the EV battery the better.

Reactions: dingle87

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
edit to one of my previous comments... Ford Lightning to go from Standard to Extended range battery, increases price on XLT from $52k to $72k. I thought it was around 10-12k for that increase, but went back to B&P to make sure. Nope $20k. I can't swing a $75k vehicle, especially with interest rates increasing and just inflation in general increasing prices across the board. $9,500 of that $20k is because Ford automatically bumps you up into their upgraded package for creature comforts I wouldn't get. It's the Ford game of packages/pricing. $72k is also without tow package, which I'd need to add as well. Bed liner and tonneau cover would add a bit more to it, but those additions could wait until after delivery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts