Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the press release this morning:

"Our customers are giving us a huge vote of confidence ahead of our start of production on November 17. As for 2024, we are already exploring US-based manufacturing with the goal of making some models eligible for the EV tax credit within the new proposed requirements.""

Very interesting

·
Registered
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
512 Posts
HF had mentioned this in a recent interview as well (CMBC?). They are definitely planning around this. Magna is a Canadian company. It has been looking at facilities in North America off-and-on for years. The key question is whether the Ocean will sell. Magna has been burned by other models that looked full of promise but then did a big face-plant when it came to sales volume (ahem, iPace, ahem). So they are cautious.

·
Registered
Ocean Extreme
188 Posts
HF had mentioned this in a recent interview as well (CMBC?). They are definitely planning around this. Magna is a Canadian company. It has been looking at facilities in North America off-and-on for years. The key question is whether the Ocean will sell. Magna has been burned by other models that looked full of promise but then did a big face-plant when it came to sales volume (ahem, iPace, ahem). So they are cautious.
I keep seeing refernce to the iPace not selling - is that because the car just wasn't that good, or it didn't position itself well enough?

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
From the press release this morning:

"Our customers are giving us a huge vote of confidence ahead of our start of production on November 17. As for 2024, we are already exploring US-based manufacturing with the goal of making some models eligible for the EV tax credit within the new proposed requirements.""

Very interesting
Can you please post the press release?

[Edit]: Found it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I keep seeing refernce to the iPace not selling - is that because the car just wasn't that good, or it didn't position itself well enough?
iPace launched in 2018 shortly after the Model 3. It has sold fewer than 50,000 worldwide. In the US it sold only 6,600 through Q2 this year. When you look at the iPace is has a number of problems that kept it from being competitive:
1) Range - It had only 234 miles of range, this killed it. They have boosted this year to 246, still not competitive and with the 22" wheels even the longer-range current models 217 miles.
2) Price - it is expensive for what you get. Starting price is currently $71k but you will hit $75k in no time with just some very basic options
3) Charging Speed Sucks - it takes 40 minutes to add a 150 EPA miles. It is awful
4) Efficiency is crap. It burns 440 wh/mile in the EPA rating.
5) Performance is meh at 4.5 seconds (definitely not a high performance vehicle)
6) Interior space sucks: rear leg room is a full 5" less than the Ocean or the Model Y. Front Leg room is also less.

·
Registered
473 Posts
iPace launched in 2018 shortly after the Model 3. It has sold fewer than 50,000 worldwide. In the US it sold only 6,600 through Q2 this year. When you look at the iPace is has a number of problems that kept it from being competitive:
1) Range - It had only 234 miles of range, this killed it. They have boosted this year to 246, still not competitive and with the 22" wheels even the longer-range current models 217 miles.
2) Price - it is expensive for what you get. Starting price is currently $71k but you will hit $75k in no time with just some very basic options
3) Charging Speed Sucks - it takes 40 minutes to add a 150 EPA miles. It is awful
4) Efficiency is crap. It burns 44 wh/mile in the EPA rating.
5) Performance is meh at 4.5 seconds (definitely not a high performance vehicle)
6) Interior space sucks: rear leg room is a full 5" less than the Ocean or the Model Y. Front Leg room is also less.
You forgot that a handful have spontaneously combusted...

Due to an LG battery failure by all accounts.

·
Registered
512 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR | 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
605 Posts
4) Efficiency is crap. It burns 44 wh/mile in the EPA rating.
How is 44 Wh/mile crap? That would be like 1,800 mile range on a 80 kWh battery!!!!! :ROFLMAO: 44 kWh/100 miles would be bad though...

Reactions: SeaPhil4

·
Registered
512 Posts
How is 44 Wh/mile crap? That would be like 1,800 mile range on a 80 kWh battery!!!!! :ROFLMAO: 44 kWh/100 miles would be bad though...
Lol I dropped a zero.

Reactions: JDOcean and TT97

·
Registered
Ocean Extreme
188 Posts
4) Efficiency is crap. It burns 440 wh/mile in the EPA rating.
So, just to clarify, not really a build quality issue (battery not withstanding), but more of a design and implementation issue.

·
Registered
512 Posts
IPace build quality is terrific. It is a set of original design choices that caused it to fail.

Reactions: Jay and DBatz10

·
Registered
188 Posts
IPace build quality is terrific. It is a set of original design choices that caused it to fail.
What's interesting is Magna built a test version of the ipace with new technology that isn't in the production version, giving it more performance and range. I'm wondering if this is the technology they're putting into the Ocean.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What's interesting is Magna built a test version of the ipace with new technology that isn't in the production version, giving it more performance and range. I'm wondering if this is the technology they're putting into the Ocean.
Jaguar will probably want to capitalize on that for the 2024 iPace

·
Registered
MB GLA, Reserved Ocean Ultra, Ocean Pear and BMW I4. Patience is a virtue!
624 Posts
Yep it is a very good point, Magna partnership is essential for Fisker. I reserved and invested in Fisker because the mentality of Fisker's cie but also because Magna was included in the deal. If Fisker remove Magna of their business (partnership) in one or two years then I will sale my shares.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
The Jaguar I-Pace is due for a next generation. Yes, there are many issues with the existing model and it's long-in-the-tooth for an EV. Don't forget, Jaguar as a company has pretty low sales anyway and they are declining. Jaguar Sales Figures – US Market

·
Registered
512 Posts
The Jaguar I-Pace is due for a next generation. Yes, there are many issues with the existing model and it's long-in-the-tooth for an EV. Don't forget, Jaguar as a company has pretty low sales anyway and they are declining. Jaguar Sales Figures – US Market
Yes, I do not think Tata has really focused on the Jaguar brand. The LandRover brand has made them very good money. The strategy revealed by the company for Jaguar was to take it up market to become a Bentley / Aston competitor. So iPace priced vehicles are going away in favor of higher priced vehicles under its "reimagine" strategy.

·
Premium Member
2016 Cadillac ELR
214 Posts
I was super interested in the iPace when it was coming out, since I’ve always been a big Jag fan (have had 4). So joined the iPace forum just like the Ocean forum. I was one of the first over there and and as soon as they got into owners’ hands, the problems started. There were TONS of issues. There was no way I was ever going to get an iPace after reading all the threads :oops:.

I was just looking at one yesterday since we were over there because my wife’s FPace R dynamic order officially issued a build slot if we accept the fact that they (still) can’t get the 360 camera, the digital dash nor ”Park-My-Car (still due to supply chain issues). The iPace is super nice inside. But just not quite Jag sexy enough for me (like a F-type). I like the Ocean better.

I swear though when the iPace came out, there wasn’t the “has to have 300mile range” thing going on. I think that’s a recent thing if you weren’t buying a Tesla.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I swear though when the iPace came out, there wasn’t the “has to have 300mile range” thing going on. I think that’s a recent thing if you weren’t buying a Tesla.
I think that is a result of more real world data now being available. We now know that low 200mpc just isn't enough, thus the demand for 300.
I asked a neighbor about his eTron. "It's a good car, but I don't like the range." 🙁

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
I think that is a result of more real world data now being available. We now know that low 200mpc just isn't enough, thus the demand for 300.
I asked a neighbor about his eTron. "It's a good car, but I don't like the range." 🙁
And cut that by 20% if you live in a cold climate. 220-230 miles is unusable in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts