Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fisker-ites; This "PEAR-ite" wrote an email to Fisker HQ about servicing the brake fluid,washer juice & 12volt battery with the [unprintable word here] sealed hood.
I got NO REPLY and got two computer messages asking if the question was answered, and do I want a follow up. As of this date, Silence from Fisker. Take this info and 'read' it as you will.
I also asked wether the PEAR will have the Sealed Hood or not, in the same email, With zero response to that, as well.
Like near all here, I WANT to be able to get to the 12volt battery, to fill the fluid jug, check the brake fluid and put sacks of mothballs in there when parked.
I have no clew what is the Thought Process with Fisker.
In related news; Since I am not a Fisker ocean-ite; I will spend the next few YEARS, sitting in my 'computer driven Lazy Boy recliner' and reading ALL the posts that come via this medium. I will have but little to offer, otherwise; save the stray thought or comment.
My thanks to all and sundry

·
Registered
107 Posts
It was to limit costs in manufacturing process. I think you will be able to fill wash fluids probably by the window but am not certain as I have not seen vehicle in person.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A bit more on this; One, the 'limit costs' is pure"BS", IMHO. It MIGHT cost '$20.00' for two hinges and a latch system. Fisher is trying a 'fashion idea' here. And some reading shows me the hood,with its seals, is BOLTED to the body,somewhere. I also suspect there are pegs and holes to line it up. Great Ceaser's Ghost--BOLTED! Can you picture how FAST Road Service would drive away from you on a COLD WINTER day, when you need a 12volt jump start? How about spending a hour in your driveway in a snowstorm, taking off the hood, to add washer fluid to the jug? It would likely need two people to get it off and on. IF I were to own one, I would go to the nearest auto scrap yard, buy two BMW hinges{for the Class of it, you could buy two Pinto hinges} and take the EV to a custom body shop, spend "X$" to have the hinges and latch added to the hood.
You can tell is a California based auto, they have NO CLEW of us in the Snow Belt of the USA. As if ANYONE wants to climb under the wheel well{which is the likely spot for the bolts} to wrench off FROZEN hood bolts, to fill the washer bottle, or check brake fluid &tc.
Now for contrast, here is the Aptera EV. Aside from its ODD looks, it is "Right to Repair" friendly. They will sell you parts and info on how to fix the EV if "X" breaks.
Thoughts and Discussion- anyone??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys, BMW IX have the hood fixed and nobody is critiquing it. There is surely à good raison for that.
Patience is a vertue!
The BMW IX fixed hood is a fashion trend that Fisker is aping. And the BMW owners who can afford this car, also have a dozen more out back, so when this goes to the dealer to fill the window washer jar, the owner just uses the Bugatti or some such. How about a 'working mans car' with a fixed hood? Even the ChiCom cars have working hoods, and cost LESS than Fisker. On the other side of the Question, the ChiCom made Polestar EV costs MORE than Fisker and has a working hood.
The whole Quote is Patience is a Virtue, often sought and seldom found

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys, BMW IX have the hood fixed and nobody is critiquing it. There is surely à good raison for that.
Patience is a vertue!
Guess What, there is someone critiquing it, and not a positive one at that--see the CarWow, Mat Watson review. BMW got all cute, and stuck the washer fluid fill behind the front BMW badge. Good, till it freezes over in winter. And that still leaves brake fluid and battery hidden.

·
Registered
Ocean One/Extreme, Referral ZOQ017
338 Posts
Guess What, there is someone critiquing it, and not a positive one at that--see the CarWow, Mat Watson review. BMW got all cute, and stuck the washer fluid fill behind the front BMW badge. Good, till it freezes over in winter. And that still leaves brake fluid and battery hidden.
I'm pretty sure Bjorn Nyland's review of the iX showed that the wiper refill badge is heated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't like a bolted hood too, but probably this is a decision related to security.
There are high voltages components under the hood and they could hurt/kill someone.
I agree that some parts must be easily accessible, like wiper refill and 12v battery.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't like a bolted hood too, but probably this is a decision related to security.
There are high voltages components under the hood and they could hurt/kill someone.
I agree that some parts must be easily accessible, like wiper refill and 12v battery.
"Security" a buzz word and a lame idea in this context. IF that were the case EVERY EV would have welded shut the hoods. What fool goes about the 'guts' of ANY car just to see what can kill him? The idea of some village idiot giving a big YANK on a orange cable is in the same class as the same idiot sticking his pizzle in an I.C.E. car fan blade when the engine is on. I.E. a "Darwin Award"!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I do not like solid piece hood myself but not a deal breaker for me anyways as we all have engines under hood anyways so never needed it to store stuff. But I do wish it was a moveable hood for the frunk but oh well. I think he did this to cut the manufacturing times down as I think the whole vehicle is one Mold that is bolted and welded to the frame. This helps speed up production times when it comes time to ramp up production. I think beside being a fashion statement on his vehicles he did it for this purpose to cut back on production times as it is all just one piece of molding. I think a cpl years ago he mentioned that the hood may have the lines like it comes off but the body is all 1 piece of molding so it does not come off. I am assuming access to the 12V will either be in the wheel wells or the rear of the car.

·
Registered
Ocean One/Extreme, Referral ZOQ017
338 Posts
I agree, even with an ICE you can hurt yourself. But that is the only reason I can find for a sealed hood.
Mercedes and BMW have gone with sealed hoods on their new EVs. Yes, it's stated for cost savings - but really how much would it save. I don't use my frunk all the time, but on trips, it's very handy. It is a little disappointing to me - especially since the cargo area seems on the small side.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts