Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the Ocean One. For those on the fence, remember that this is a Magna car with a Fisker design. Magna did essentially 100% of the engineering, in addition to the fact that they’re manufacturing the cars. Magna’s name is on the line as the Ocean is a showcase of all their capabilities and technologies/components that they’re trying to sell to other carmakers. Magna cannot and will not let the Ocean fail. Magna wouldn’t have allowed Fisker to offer the long warranties it is offering, if it wasn’t confident in its work.

The One buyers will be the face of the Fisker brand for at least 1-2 years. I believe Fisker will do whatever it takes to make things right for early adopters, just as Lucid is doing with their customers.

The One is definitely a risk, as there are questions we don’t have answers to, and it’s a non-refundable deposit. I just think the benefits greatly outweigh the risks. My belief is that there is a high probability of being able to re-sell the Ocean One for a profit for at least a year after delivery (like we are seeing in other ev startups). If you don’t like the Ocean, you’ll be able to resell it.

I bet the Ocean will be a smash hit, which most causal automotive enthusiasts are not expecting.

·
Registered
Referral ode JCP1CQ
189 Posts
I ordered the Ocean One. For those on the fence, remember that this is a Magna car with a Fisker design. Magna did essentially 100% of the engineering, in addition to the fact that they’re manufacturing the cars. Magna’s name is on the line as the Ocean is a showcase of all their capabilities and technologies/components that they’re trying to sell to other carmakers. Magna cannot and will not let the Ocean fail. Magna wouldn’t have allowed Fisker to offer the long warranties it is offering, if it wasn’t confident in its work.

The One buyers will be the face of the Fisker brand for at least 1-2 years. I believe Fisker will do whatever it takes to make things right for early adopters, just as Lucid is doing with their customers.

The One is definitely a risk, as there are questions we don’t have answers to, and it’s a non-refundable deposit. I just think the benefits greatly outweigh the risks. My belief is that there is a high probability of being able to re-sell the Ocean One for a profit for at least a year after delivery (like we are seeing in other ev startups). If you don’t like the Ocean, you’ll be able to resell it.

I bet the Ocean will be a smash hit, which most causal automotive enthusiasts are not expecting.
Totally agree👍🏻🌊

·
Registered
2013 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG w/ Performance Package | 2018 Audi SQ5 Techik
25 Posts

You may want to list out what cars does Magna makes at their Steyr Graz facility... :)
  1. MB G-class
  2. BMW 5-series both ICE and Hybrid & Z4
  3. Jaguar E-Pace & I-Pace
  4. Toyota GR Supra
Some may say its really 4 cars because Supra = Z4 and E-Pace = I-Pace, but Magna has a track record of building SOLID and EXPENSIVE cars... look at the MB G-class... I have full confidence these cars will not have quality issue.. its all up to whether you like the brand or not...

·
Registered
'21 VW Atlas
39 Posts
Many so called pundits seem to forget that whatever Fisker has achieved so far has been done on Magna's solid foundation. Magna is the key to Fiskers success. If there is no Magna, then Fisker is probably building cars at some remote Chinese plant that normally builds mopeds. I am not so sure about Foxcomm and the Pear. It's one thing to put together a cell phone but it's an entirely different beast to put together a car. I'm rooting for Foxcomm but let's hope that Fisker has dual source plan in case Foxcomm has a larger learning curve than expected.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I’m not so sure about it. Ocean One is overpriced. I don’t think you can resell it at a profit. It’s all cool if you want the bells and whistles (like the solar roof) and are willing to pay premium - as long as you plan to keep it. I’m not so sure there will be many those willing to lose a $7,500 credit and pay you premium for the the One. Can you break even (factoring in the sales tax you will have to pay as well as the $7,500 tax credit)? Perhaps you can break even, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Now, I think reselling the Ultra without a loss is feasible, but I don’t think reselling the One without a a loss is. Another thing is that the One may have a collector’s appeal in a few years - if Fisker becomes a runaway hit, but that’s a slim chance.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m not so sure about it. Ocean One is overpriced. I don’t think you can resell it at a profit. It’s all cool if you want the bells and whistles (like the solar roof) and are willing to pay premium - as long as you plan to keep it. I’m not so sure there will be many those willing to lose a $7,500 credit and pay you premium for the the One. Can you break even (factoring in the sales tax you will have to pay as well as the $7,500 tax credit)? Perhaps you can break even, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Now, I think reselling the Ultra without a loss is feasible, but I don’t think reselling the One without a a loss is. Another thing is that the One may have a collector’s appeal in a few years - if Fisker becomes a runaway hit, but that’s a slim chance.
Price was $85k, and they got the tax credit. 2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition - Launch Edition Model, Large Battery Pack, Quad-Motor AWD

·
Registered
405 Posts
Rivian is not Fisker.

Fisker has less cargo space than the ID.4. Significantly less.

Rivian is a pretty amazing vehicle that has only one competitor F150 (which also sells at a huge premium). Fisker has many competitors at this point. At least half a dozen. Fisker is a fine vehicle, and the stock can be very hot. But as a small SUV, it doesn’t have anything special that would bring a premium over the MSRP of $69,000. Now, an Ocean at $50,000 is a great deal, and it could command a premium that would cover sales tax and then some. But at $69,000, I don’t think so.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Many so called pundits seem to forget that whatever Fisker has achieved so far has been done on Magna's solid foundation. Magna is the key to Fiskers success. If there is no Magna, then Fisker is probably building cars at some remote Chinese plant that normally builds mopeds. I am not so sure about Foxcomm and the Pear. It's one thing to put together a cell phone but it's an entirely different beast to put together a car. I'm rooting for Foxcomm but let's hope that Fisker has dual source plan in case Foxcomm has a larger learning curve than expected.
That phase will be super interesting to watch.

·
Super Moderator
1,732 Posts

In the United States, it's $70,000 and supply and demand dictates how much you can sell it for. My hunch is an Ocean ONE goes for around $80,000 to $85,000 if someone were to resell. Nobody is going to have the ONE initially and with only 5,000 units worldwide, it does make it special. Once the Ocean hits the roads, it's going to sell like hotcakes. The only reason a ONE or Extreme might be difficult to sell is due to the high price tag. Every car has a buyer though.

·
Super Moderator
1,732 Posts
Rivian is not Fisker.

Fisker has less cargo space than the ID.4. Significantly less.

Rivian is a pretty amazing vehicle that has only one competitor F150 (which also sells at a huge premium). Fisker has many competitors at this point. At least half a dozen. Fisker is a fine vehicle, and the stock can be very hot. But as a small SUV, it doesn’t have anything special that would bring a premium over the MSRP of $69,000. Now, an Ocean at $50,000 is a great deal, and it could command a premium that would cover sales tax and then some. But at $69,000, I don’t think so.
I'm interested to know what you are basing your assumptions of the Fisker Ocean not being special on when the public only has limited information at the moment. Unless you have insider information or have seen and driven the Fisker, your conclusions hold no water.

Also, it's the market that dictates what's going to have a premium, not what features a car has. Low supply and high demand will raise prices. Why were used Model Y's selling for $10,000 to $15,000 over sticker? The answer is because Tesla couldn't make enough of them, and people were fine with buying them at said $10,000 to $15,000 over. They feature set that the Model Y has isn't any different than any other manufacturer. I am seeing more and more people on this forum saying things like 'It's not special enough for it to get resold for a profit.' We may need to go through an economics course on the forum.

The fact that supply will be limited is the only reason it needs. The only factor that we need to solve for is - will there be demand? I certainly think there will be.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR | 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
835 Posts
I really don't think about future residual value when I purchase a vehicle. However, one of the (lesser) reasons I am jumping on the One is due to the residual value of my Model 3 right now. My Model 3 right now is worth $10k more than it was 18 months ago even with the extra miles. Between Tesla continuing to raise the prices on new cars and lack of supply from all brands, used car prices and especially Teslas are at all time high. I don't know how long these values will keep for Teslas; as they bring more factories on line and expand capacity on existing factories, their supply of cars will catch up to the demand and the value of used cars will start to drop again. While prices will likely stay elevated, I wouldn't be shocked if my car will be worth $10k less by the end of 2023.

Reactions: KMBrown and HotIce

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
1,222 Posts
I really don't think about future residual value when I purchase a vehicle. However, one of the (lesser) reasons I am jumping on the One is due to the residual value of my Model 3 right now. My Model 3 right now is worth $10k more than it was 18 months ago even with the extra miles. Between Tesla continuing to raise the prices on new cars and lack of supply from all brands, used car prices and especially Teslas are at all time high. I don't know how long these values will keep for Teslas; as they bring more factories on line and expand capacity on existing factories, their supply of cars will catch up to the demand and the value of used cars will start to drop again. While prices will likely stay elevated, I wouldn't be shocked if my car will be worth $10k less by the end of 2023.
Timing will be interesting. I've been following the wholesale and retail pricing for my Model 3 and it's anywhere from even to $5k above what I purchased (less tax credit of course) for FOUR years ago. If my One gets delivered by the end of the year, I'm expecting the 3 to still be a good price. But if I do see it soften, I may be tempted to sell it a month or two early to take advantage of the elevated prices.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
Referral ode JCP1CQ
189 Posts
Timing will be interesting. I've been following the wholesale and retail pricing for my Model 3 and it's anywhere from even to $5k above what I purchased (less tax credit of course) for FOUR years ago. If my One gets delivered by the end of the year, I'm expecting the 3 to still be a good price. But if I do see it soften, I may be tempted to sell it a month or two early to take advantage of the elevated prices.

View attachment 913
Super Nice garage 🤩👍🏻

·
Registered
405 Posts
In the United States, it's $70,000 and supply and demand dictates how much you can sell it for. My hunch is an Ocean ONE goes for around $80,000 to $85,000 if someone were to resell. Nobody is going to have the ONE initially and with only 5,000 units worldwide, it does make it special. Once the Ocean hits the roads, it's going to sell like hotcakes. The only reason a ONE or Extreme might be difficult to sell is due to the high price tag. Every car has a buyer though.
Good luck to you reselling the ocean for $85,000.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR | 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
835 Posts

View attachment 913
I have been considering selling early as well. I will be out of the country for two weeks for the holidays and considering selling before leaving depending on timing of delivery. I have an e-bike and Uber-a-plenty (and wife has a car) which can get me by for some time. Have you ever looked in to the best time of year to sell a car?

·
Registered
100 Posts

View attachment 913
Agree with @Danmark that is a really nice garage.

·
Registered
394 Posts
EVs will likely hold their value until end of 2024. By then all the battery facilities and such that GM, Hyundai and VW are building should be operational. As long as they can work through supply chain constraints for materials the cost of production for batteries should begin to fall by then making EVs start to become cheaper. This is also when we can start to expect a lot more affordable smaller EVs to begin to hit the market.

Also, @MTN Ranger , beautiful garage. Looks like it belongs in a magazine, but where is all your stuff? Do you have a massive shed/shop for all the lawncare essentials/tools etc.?

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
1,222 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. That photo was just after I finished it. I had the garage built summer of 2020. Late summer and Fall I did the entire interior myself: a couple more electrical circuits (prewired for HVAC), lighting, insulation, drywall, trim, painting, flooring, slatwall, etc. I have charging on the center back wall and left front wall for good coverage. It's full of stuff now and looks like this:

Building Automotive tire Asphalt Font Tire

·
Registered
Referral ode JCP1CQ
189 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. That photo was just after I finished it. I had the garage built summer of 2020. Late summer and Fall I did the entire interior myself: a couple more electrical circuits (prewired for HVAC), insulation, drywall, trim, painting, flooring, slatwall, etc. I have charging on the center back wall and left front wall for good coverage. It's full of stuff now and looks like this:

View attachment 921
So Nice🤩

1 - 20 of 26 Posts