1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Volvo S60 Referral M37TH5
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
0 Posts
You beat me to it :) Was just coming to post this ... I think depending on specs it could prove to be a serious competitor, especially given the fact that they're targeting mid-to-low 300 mile range (converting WLTP to EPA by dividing 372 / 1.12 to get 331 miles) and the fact that it's not Polestar's first vehicle. They'll be making it in Volvo's existing South Carolina factory. Sure, the Fisker looks better, but the Polestar 3 has some interesting visual cues (like the integrated spoiler in the hood) and will likely continue their tradition of high quality interiors. Let's see price (this is potentially a big one!) and specs this fall! Not sure I want a Google-based car, but by the time this launches they should have figured out Apple CarPlay. And they're getting Apple's new CarPlay with the full dashboard experience... no idea if I'll want it, but it will be nice to have options :)

·
0 Posts
A little more searching found this article: Polestar’s first electric SUV will officially debut in October 2022
They offer some clues as to pricing and market position: "When it comes out, it will slot into the premium category, putting it in competition with EVs like the Tesla Model X, Audi E-tron, Mercedes-Benz EQE, Rivian R1S, and Fisker Ocean." Of course, they could just be guessing :) But it will be interesting to see if it is priced closer to the Model X ($100k) or the e-tron ($70k).

·
Registered
2012 Volvo S60 Referral M37TH5
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, I think that the Polestar 4 will be competing with the Ocean. The 3 will be larger, probably the same size as the Volvo XC90 replacement. I'm just guessing, but I imagine that the 3's starting price will be close to the Ocean Extreme. I don't think that the Ocean would be called premium. Perhaps the Extreme, but not in general.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
Yes, the Polestar 3 is similar in size to a XC90 (next gen XC90 will use the polestar 3 platform). Also, the patent drawings indicate there will be a frunk. Pricing will probably start where the Ocean top range ends. I don't see this being cross shopped with the Ocean. Even with the larger size, the Polestar 3 is going to be a 2 row 5 seater. So the next Polestar 4 will be closer to the Ocean in size and pricing. My current Volvo XC60 will be very similar in size to the Ocean.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
Not too shabby honestly. Now it comes down to range. I'm assuming we'll see low 300's?
The rule of thumb is to convert WLTP to EPA is divide by 1.12. So the estimated 372 WLTP miles is about 332 EPA miles.

Reactions: HotIce

·
Registered
86 Posts
I really like Polestar 2, but its price is out of my budget. And I think this Polestar 3 will be in the same price range or more.
That's why I'm looking for an Ocean Sport.
Good work from Polestar/Volvo anyway.

·
Registered
MB GLA, Reserved Ocean Ultra, Ocean Pear and BMW I4. Patience is a virtue!
624 Posts
I really like Polestar 2, but its price is out of my budget. And I think this Polestar 3 will be in the same price range or more.
That's why I'm looking for an Ocean Sport.
Good work from Polestar/Volvo anyway.
I suspect that Polestar 3 price would be starting at US$70K

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
I suspect that Polestar 3 price would be starting at US$70K
Yes, $70-80k is a good bet. Heck the small Volvo C40 EV starts at $60k.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
Polestar seems to have a lot in common with Fisker as seen in this new video:

(from left to right Polestar 2, 3, 4, 5)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I like the Polestar style, but I hope they will work on the efficiency, because the Polestar 2 has an high consumption and low range in relation of the kwh of the battery.

That's why I like both companies. They're both led by designers and both seem to be looking at bigger pictures than just their power source.
I hope Fisker will be not only a designer style company, we need technology and innovation with good performances and efficiency.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
I like the Polestar style, but I hope they will work on the efficiency, because the Polestar 2 has an high consumption and low range in relation of the kwh of the battery.

I hope Fisker will be not only a designer style company, we need technology and innovation with good performances and efficiency.
Yes, that's the only things that bugs me about Polestar is the relative inefficiency of their powertrain. You would think for a ground-up EV it would be better.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR | 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
605 Posts
Yes, that's the only things that bugs me about Polestar is the relative inefficiency of their powertrain. You would think for a ground-up EV it would be better.
The single motor variant efficiency is fine (31 kWh/100 mi) - in line with the EV6/Ioniq 5; better than the ID.4 & Mach E; for some reason the dual motor variant has a 20% loss over the single motor. However, the Polestar 2 is not a ground-up EV. The Polestar is built on the Geely Compact Modular Architecture platform; which Geely uses for both ICE vehicles & EVs which is why the Polestar has the center hump (which they filled with batteries). Hopefully, the Polestar 3/4/5 will be a dedicated EV platform.

·
Registered
Ocean One, NightDrive, MaliBlu
60 Posts
Polestar, Volvo and Lotus are all part of same Geely group and my guess Lotus Eletre, Polestar 3 and upcoming XC90 EV will be heavily sharing the platform and powertrains. Hoping this to be very promising and exciting in terms of performance, efficiency.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Same here. But then I saw that Edmunds got 289mi in its real world test of the P2, significantly beating its EPA. And I think they’ve boosted range a bit with software updates, But what ultimately put me off is that people report that the center console intrudes on your right leg, making it uncomfortable. Comfort is a priority for me: I’m a geezer with L5 surgery.

I’m eager to get reports of the Fisker seat.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
Same here. But then I saw that Edmunds got 289mi in its real world test of the P2, significantly beating its EPA. And I think they’ve boosted range a bit with software updates, But what ultimately put me off is that people report that the center console intrudes on your right leg, making it uncomfortable. Comfort is a priority for me: I’m a geezer with L5 surgery.

I’m eager to get reports of the Fisker seat.
I'm not why they designed the center console that's so high up and with such an angle like that. They should have kept more of a Volvo open layout. My XC60 has great front seat room.
Car Vehicle Gear shift Speedometer Plant

1 - 20 of 26 Posts