Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about what cables, adapters, etc. I will need with my Ocean and was thinking a portable EVSE with multiple power adapters would be useful on a road trip. I came across the J+ unit and was wondering if anyone had any info on it. The link to the product is below. Any other recommendations?

J+ EVSE

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
If traveling with multiple adapter options, the best thing to buy is a Tesla Mobile Connector $200, adapter bundle $245, with a Tesla->J1772 adapter. Nothing else comes close. The only limitation is that the max rate is 32 A. If you can find a gen 1 version, that gets 40 A.

Luggage and bags Bag Electric blue Rectangle Fashion accessory

Automotive lighting Tool Automotive tire Automotive exterior Rectangle

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR | 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
605 Posts
If traveling with multiple adapter options, the best thing to buy is a Tesla Mobile Connector $200, adapter bundle $245, with a J1772 adapter. Nothing even competes with it:
My plan is to keep the Tesla Mobile Connector when I sell my 3. My concern is with the adapter, a ne'er-do-well can easily unplug the TMC and walk off with it leaving just the adapter hanging from the car.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
512 Posts

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
My plan is to keep the Tesla Mobile Connector when I sell my 3. My concern is with the adapter, a ne'er-do-well can easily unplug the TMC and walk off with it leaving just the adapter hanging from the car.
When I had my Volt, it didn't have a locked chargeport. So I either wrapped with through the wheel and locked it or used a rubber wire threshold and parked on it.

Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

·
Registered
5 Posts
My concern is with the adapter, a ne'er-do-well can easily unplug the TMC and walk off with it leaving just the adapter hanging from the car.
The TeslaTap mini Tesla to J1772 adapters have provisions for locks to prevent this - or at least make it more difficult. One to prevent a five-finger discount artist from removing the adapter from the car:

Camera accessory Audio equipment Cylinder Gadget Cameras & optics

and another to prevent the Tesla plug and the adapter from being separated:

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Gadget Font Electronic device

Not affiliated in any way, but I do own one and can attest that they're very well built (they should be, given what they cost) and work as you would expect. I used mine to charge an XC40 with a 40 amp Tesla charger because the cable that was included with the Volvo was way too short, so it stayed in the trunk.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I use this method for securing my charger for my Model 3. Just cost me a cheap padlock.
Just don't forget to unlock before driving off! It was always very embarrassing when I would forget about the disc lock on my motorcycle.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
Just don't forget to unlock before driving off! It was always very embarrassing when I would forget about the disc lock on my motorcycle.
It's usually obvious since the car can't drive while plugged in.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Can put a nice ding in your fork that way too...
Yeah, the bigger issue is that you lose centrifugal force and the bike tips over right away. The worst event was when I was living in NY and was playing a volleyball tournament at the Jersey shore. I forget which town, but they were notorious for giving parking tickets to motorcycles unless they were parked in a parking stall. I had my motorcycle parked in a stall and some guy decided he wanted the parking space so tried to move my motorcycle only to drop it as soon as the lock fit the fork. I was walking up just as he was trying to pick up the bike. I was livid; he scratched the fairing and cracked the mirror. If I didn't catch him, I know he would have walked away. If it had happened earlier and didn't have the lock, I probably would have gotten a parking ticket for illegally parking.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yeah, the bigger issue is that you lose centrifugal force and the bike tips over right away. The worst event was when I was living in NY and was playing a volleyball tournament at the Jersey shore. I forget which town, but they were notorious for giving parking tickets to motorcycles unless they were parked in a parking stall. I had my motorcycle parked in a stall and some guy decided he wanted the parking space so tried to move my motorcycle only to drop it as soon as the lock fit the fork. I was walking up just as he was trying to pick up the bike. I was livid; he scratched the fairing and cracked the mirror. If I didn't catch him, I know he would have walked away. If it had happened earlier and didn't have the lock, I probably would have gotten a parking ticket for illegally parking.
I would have been in the back of a squad car. Someone was sitting on my bike once as I walked up (to "try it on") and that was enough to get me pretty fired up because they could have dropped it. There is no way I would have been in that situation without a fist fight. That is crazy.

·
Registered
MB GLA, Reserved Ocean Ultra, Ocean Pear and BMW I4. Patience is a virtue!
624 Posts
I would have been in the back of a squad car. Someone was sitting on my bike once as I walked up (to "try it on") and that was enough to get me pretty fired up because they could have dropped it. There is no way I would have been in that situation without a fist fight. That is crazy.
I never got that 's kind of problem with mine or if so I am not aware, ANW I would be very angry is a guy would try to move my motocycle. :mad::mad::mad:
A good reason to get my hand on his face.

·
Registered
Ocean Extreme
188 Posts
Seems like over kill to want to hurt someone for touching your stuff. Just my opinion, but at the end of the day it's just stuff and not worth hurting someone (or yourself) because someone touched your stuff.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Seems like over kill to want to hurt someone for touching your stuff. Just my opinion, but at the end of the day it's just stuff and not worth hurting someone (or yourself) because someone touched your stuff.
I'm 58 because I've understood from birth, you never touch a mans bike.
Matter of fact, don't even stand there and admire it, just to be safe.

·
Registered
MB GLA, Reserved Ocean Ultra, Ocean Pear and BMW I4. Patience is a virtue!
624 Posts
Some things are acceptable and some are not. I'm talking about moving my motorcycle and risking damaging it, not just touching it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts