Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something that has been on my mind when looking at EVs. Does anyone consider the reparability of battery packs in their decision making process? With Tesla charging 20K+ for replacement packs (even for minor repairs in some cases) simply because the reparability of those packs is difficult. After watching the 4680 videos on Munro live, the reparability of the new TMYs packs is basically 0. So after the warranty period runs out, you basically just hope nothing goes wrong with your battery. I don't know the statistics on how often batteries fail or require repairs, but owning an EV with that possibility does give me pause. Since I haven't owned an EV yet, I thought I would ask for other's opinions as well.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yep, an issue. Just wait as newer battery packs are more and more designed right into the frame of the vehicle. Great for reducing and distributing weight, not great for replacing modular or non-modular batteries.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
512 Posts
Something that has been on my mind when looking at EVs. Does anyone consider the reparability of battery packs in their decision making process? With Tesla charging 20K+ for replacement packs (even for minor repairs in some cases) simply because the reparability of those packs is difficult. After watching the 4680 videos on Munro live, the reparability of the new TMYs packs is basically 0. So after the warranty period runs out, you basically just hope nothing goes wrong with your battery. I don't know the statistics on how often batteries fail or require repairs, but owning an EV with that possibility does give me pause. Since I haven't owned an EV yet, I thought I would ask for other's opinions as well.
FWIW, battery pack replacements are super rare - mostly only due to damage caused by some sort of collision like running over a big rock. The most recent example that I have seen (from last year) on a Tesla Model 3 battery replacement was $16k parts and labor including some other damaged underbody components. This sort of claim will almost certainly be covered under insurance. The Fisker warranty on the battery pack is 10 years / 100k miles. If you were to have a manufacturing defect that is causing a battery to fail it is certainly going to reveal itself during the first ten years. After that, if you have a good battery it is going to be fine for the next ten years.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
Almost all battery packs that have issues (whether warranty or damaged) will have the entire pack replaced by the auto manufacturer. Dealerships don't have the facilities to disassemble packs and replace separate modules. They are shipped back, repaired and used as warranty replacements, etc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am wondering how are the battery packs designed. I hope it is not one big pack but split into several smaller ones....where In case shit happens with a dead cell they will just replace one pack. All the newest Hyundai EV's have super modular design...where one pack costs 6k .

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
I am wondering how are the battery packs designed. I hope it is not one big pack but split into several smaller ones....where In case shit happens with a dead cell they will just replace one pack. All the newest Hyundai EV's have super modular design...where one pack costs 6k .
Most (edit) packs have a modular design - whether cylindrical cell, pouch or prismatic. Whether those modules are easily removed and replaced is another matter. Again, I doubt anything is done at the local level - the whole pack is just replaced.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
I don't see a difference to the customer. These are going to be very rare events.

I do have concern about who and where something like this will be done. I don't see Firestone having the capability to replace packs.

Reactions: KMBrown

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't see a difference to the customer. These are going to be very rare events.

I do have concern about who and where something like this will be done. I don't see Firestone having the capability to replace packs.
Well....if someone want's to put a ton of miles on their Ocean, so over the warranty limits it would be good to know that in the future they won't be forced to change the whole pack.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
Well....if someone want's to put a ton of miles on their Ocean, so over the warranty limits it would be good to know that in the future they won't be forced to change the whole pack.
Hopefully Fisker will be upfront with this.

Reactions: KMBrown

·
Registered
Referral Code: 8Z0AXK ~60,000
1,168 Posts
@Jay
"Integrating cells into the chassis allows the cells and the chassis to become multi-purpose. The cells become energy-storing and structurally supporting,
while the chassis becomes structurally supporting and cell-protecting."

Thank for the good read.

@EVolution
most [OEM] are going toward CTP technology.
Right on!
You get better structural integrity, lower weight but NO repairability

Reactions: voxel

·
Registered
Referral Code: 8Z0AXK ~60,000
1,168 Posts
@Jay
Great for reducing and distributing weight, not great for replacing modular or non-modular batteries.
Just found this tidbit about the new Tesla 4680 battery pack....
"using the cells in a cell-to-pack, or structural battery pack architecture, is also saving about 55 lb. per pack, according to the experts."

Also found that Tesla Inc reduced the battery welding point system
from 17,600 to 1,600! (2170 battery pack to 4160 battery pack)

Here's the related article:

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR | 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
605 Posts
Will warranty cover an accidental road battery puncture by a rock, piece of metal, etc?
I assume not.
No, but your insurance will just as it would if a piece of metal penetrates your ICE.

• Helpful
Reactions: kxo7000

·
Premium Member
2016 Cadillac ELR
214 Posts
Yeah I read that a few days ago and it’s like so much technology today. Make it faster, cheaper and smaller - but unrepairable. This is just like the sound industry. You can buy cheaper mixing consoles that can do amazing things in small packages. But you can’t fix it. Everything is on one big circuit board. But I have modular consoles that are way heavier, and it’s a b**** to work on, but I can repair it. So what’s better? Depends on what’s more important, service and possibly technology, or price in the short term. If it’s modular it’s going to cost more. Way more.

Every manufacturer is out to out price each other. Personally the thought of some big monolith under my car that can be pulled out (and serviced) and less range is way better sounding to me. Now then, leasing that lighter longer range car that you can’t work on, well that’s a different story.

With a unique car like the ONE, I think I like it just like it is (designed). Personally I’m stoked about the SolarSky. $70,000 is a lot of money but compared to any high end car made by Jag, Land Rover, Audi, MB, it’s a deal!!! 🤑 My wife’s Audi Q8 she ordered (after telling Jag to stuff it) is already at $85k and that isn’t even top of the heap. :(. It’s always been just my personally opinion that $70k for the ONE is a great deal for what you’re getting!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts