Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Volvo S60 Referral M37TH5
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wards: What is it like going from a huge company like Ford with thousands of employees to a startup with hundreds of employees?
Oh: I think it’s the best thing ever I’ve experienced. A lot of OEMs have many layers: designer, senior designer, manager, senior manager, director of design for North America, director of global design; eight to 10 layers. Here there are just one or two layers. That really allows us to move fast. We designed the Ocean in only 24 months. That usually takes 36 to 48 months at a big OEM.

·
Registered
MB GLA, Reserved Ocean Ultra, Ocean Pear and BMW I4. Patience is a virtue!
620 Posts
Wards: What is it like going from a huge company like Ford with thousands of employees to a startup with hundreds of employees?
Oh: I think it’s the best thing ever I’ve experienced. A lot of OEMs have many layers: designer, senior designer, manager, senior manager, director of design for North America, director of global design; eight to 10 layers. Here there are just one or two layers. That really allows us to move fast. We designed the Ocean in only 24 months. That usually takes 36 to 48 months at a big OEM.
Little team so the call on any parts of the project are taken quickly . Good!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed! Plus it's nice to see a woman heading exterior design. So often, it seems that men do exteriors and women do interiors. Assuming that Fisker takes off, I hope that they keep their company lean and fast moving. Actually, as I typed that, I remember Henrik talking about reducing lead times. Instead of having everything in place a few years prior to production, he waits longer so that he can get newer technology. Henrik also said that's why his cars get more miles per charge than their competitors.

·
Registered
Referral Code: 8Z0AXK ~60,000
1,162 Posts
@baydreamer.
Great story outlining Seunghee Oh's rise from design school to Hyundai, GM, Ford and now Fisker!

"Wards: You were personally recruited by Henrik Fisker. How did he discover you?

Oh: I just applied to the (Fisker) website when I was living in Michigan. I was going to California for Easter vacation. I was at the airport waiting in line to board the plane and I got an email on my phone right in front of the gate that Henrik wants to do a phone interview with me."
Motor vehicle Vehicle Tire Human Car

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@baydreamer.
Great story outlining Seunghee Oh's rise from design school to Hyundai, GM, Ford
and now Fisker!

"Wards: You were personally recruited by Henrik Fisker. How did he discover you?

Oh: I just applied to the (Fisker) website when I was living in Michigan. I was going to California for Easter vacation. I was at the airport waiting in line to board the plane and I got an email on my phone right in front of the gate that Henrik wants to do a phone interview with me."
I was half expecting her to say that Henrik told her not to worry about what she was wearing when she talked about having to buy a suit for the interview.

·
Registered
Referral Code: 8Z0AXK ~60,000
1,162 Posts
Seunghee Oh:
"
I think it’s the best thing ever I’ve experienced. A lot of OEMs have many layers: designer, senior designer, manager, senior manager, director of design for North America, director of global design; eight to 10 layers. Here there are just one or two layers. That really allows us to move fast.

We designed the Ocean in only 24 months. That usually takes 36 to 48 months at a big OEM."

Reactions: baydreamer
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.