Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like the Supercharger Network access is going to opened up in North America soon. The Tesla App reveals a membership will be $.99/mo and lower the cost of using the network. This is huge news as it basically doubles the access to chargers for everyone in the US and is the most well-maintained and reliable network according to studies:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, but will they “throttle down” the charge rate for non Teslas? Wouldn’t make a lot of sense as that would tend to clog up charging stations- but Elon doesn’t always work with reality either..
Keep in mind that Teslas will be able to go to other charging stations as well; It doubles the amount of stations for Tesla owners. In addition, Tesla and others will also be adding to their networks even faster now. Tesla (and EA and everyone else that qualifies) will be getting huge subsidies for making their stations universal. So it will only get better as time goes on.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR | 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
607 Posts
Yeah, but will they “throttle down” the charge rate for non Teslas? Wouldn’t make a lot of sense as that would tend to clog up charging stations- but Elon doesn’t always work with reality either..
I don't think they will throttle down the speed as that will just keep the stations occupied longer; I do think they will have a higher price for non-Teslas. I also don't think the $0.99/mo will be the monthly rate.

Reactions: SeaPhil4

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
The $.99/month rate is aggressive. I know EA charges $4.00/month. I will be really interesting to see how the superchargers communicate with other cars and how long i takes for the handshake and if they'll have problems like EA and the like.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Note that the Ocean has the port in the "wrong" location (front left) compared to Teslas (rear left). This means that in an Ocean you'd often end up blocking the wrong stall, which Tesla owners are probably not going to be super happy about...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Note that the Ocean has the port in the "wrong" location (front left) compared to Teslas (rear left). This means that in an Ocean you'd often end up blocking the wrong stall, which Tesla owners are probably not going to be super happy about...
yeah that might become an issue as I think it will either have to use a retractable cabling or he will need to have to charging spots at each parking spot. 1 for front of the vehicle and 1 for the back. As mentioned right now all the Tesla Chargers are for the charge port on the back driver panel and most of all other EVs have them on the Front of the vehicle.

Now either Tesla will need 2 charging posts or people will have to not pull in all the way to charge their cars, or Telsa will start building only drive thru charging spots depending on location obviously?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Dont count on this going as smoothly for you as it goes for tesla owners. Elon will make sure non teslas wait in a long line for slow charging while teslas breeze through. He'll do the bare minimum to qualify for the government money but make sure you suffer at tesla chargers if you dont own a tesla so that you're inclined to switch to a tesla.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Dont count on this going as smoothly for you as it goes for tesla owners. Elon will make sure non teslas wait in a long line for slow charging while teslas breeze through. He'll do the bare minimum to qualify for the government money but make sure you suffer at tesla chargers if you dont own a tesla so that you're inclined to switch to a tesla.
I like your level of Elon conspiracy!

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR | 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
607 Posts
Slowing down charging will also force Tesla owners to wait longer for stalls to open up.

Reactions: HotIce

·
Registered
188 Posts
I like your level of Elon conspiracy!
As a tesla customer I've grown accustomed to the way he operates and he's become quite predictable. He wants the government money to build chargers so he has to open them to all, but he's definitely going to do the bare minimum to say legally his chargers are open to all, while making it much worse for non teslas than for teslas, encouraging you to switch to his brand of car.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not if the tesla users have dedicated stalls. The non tesla stalls will have adaptors, slower speeds, connection issues, app errors, poor customer service, poor maintenance, and long lines.
You really distrust, Elon 🤣 The intention is to open up all stalls to all EV users. They are not going to go back and install non-Tesla stalls. They also are not going to overtly sabotage the user experience. That would get them banned from the program and possibly require them to pay back subsidies. No the easiest thing for them to do would to be just continue what they are doing now, but for everyone.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
512 Posts
Tesla is so much better at this that it can only be a huge boon for the EV world in the US. They make their own hardware (unlike EA, Chargepoint, etc. who buy hardware from various vendors and run into perpetual up time and compatibility problems), they manage their own software and payment systems. The EA network just sorta sucks because they skipped the hard part of developing a hardware / software integrated solution. Tesla supercharger factories in Buffalo NY and Shanghai can produce 15,000 charging stalls a year. This is very, very good.

Reactions: JDOcean

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
Tesla doesn't do that for Europe, I don't know why they would do it in NA either. Tesla would want the cars in and out as fast as possible.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
You really distrust, Elon 🤣 The intention is to open up all stalls to all EV users. They are not going to go back and install non-Tesla stalls. They also are not going to overtly sabotage the user experience. That would get them banned from the program and possibly require them to pay back subsidies. No the easiest thing for them to do would to be just continue what they are doing now, but for everyone.
As far is the initial implementation for North America, Tesla will add a couple charging stalls for new installations (usually 12 or more). There will be a built-in CCS adapter but otherwise will also work with Tesla vehicles. There are no plans to convert the tens of thousands of existing supercharger stalls.

Reactions: slipnslider

·
Registered
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
512 Posts
Tesla doesn't do that for Europe, I don't know why they would do it in NA either. Tesla would want the cars in and out as fast as possible.
Yes! Mark my words, we are going to see stations charging more for slow-charging vehicles. 20 cents / kw if you are charging at 150 kw or more, 30 cents if you are at 100 - 150, 40 cents if you are at under 100. Stall utilization is the name of the game in DCFC economics. Get people the heck off the chargers as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The reason elon is doing this is to get gov subsidies for NEW chargers. To get the subsidy, it needs to allow all types of cars. But knowing elon, these new chargers will do the legal minumum for non teslas, which will mean long lines and inferior service for them, while making sure the experiece for teslas is much smoother and faster.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Under NEVI (National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure act), Tesla will need to install “a minimum of four (4) CCS ports capable of charging at 150kW simultaneously at each location (600kW minimum per location)”. So, Tesla could add chargers or simply add dual charging cables to existing chargers to get the government monies. They will also charge a slight premium for monthly or single use non-Tesla vehicles.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Under NEVI (National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure act), Tesla will need to install “a minimum of four (4) CCS ports capable of charging at 150kW simultaneously at each location (600kW minimum per location)”. So, Tesla could add chargers or simply add dual charging cables to existing chargers to get the government monies. They will also charge a slight premium for monthly or single use non-Tesla vehicles.
There you go, someone who has real information! 😎

1 - 20 of 37 Posts