Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Ocean One/Extreme, Referral ZOQ017
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Electric Car Pre-Order Problem - YouTube

I think Marques has a point about how crowded the new EV manufacturer market is right now and how those companies might not make it to actually ship their vehicles. Hopefully, Fisker's use of Magna will alleviate the problem of making their own factory.

·
Registered
Referral Code: 8Z0AXK 45,600+
716 Posts
@MTN Ranger

Fisker Inc did the right thing by going Asset-Lite…….
meaning it chose NOT to build its own manufacturing plant
Second great choice is choosing CATL, worlds largest battery manufacture,
to supply it’s EV batteries

Magna Steyr Plant: annual production capacity of approximately 200,000 vehicles as of 2018.
It is the largest contract manufacturer for automobiles worldwide.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I been wondering the same thoughts. To me on paper with the asset-light Magna, CATL, Bridgestone, CHASE partnership all sounds smart/awesome, but there are details of the partnerships we don't know. How much of the revenue does Fisker keep vs Magna? Is the ratio enough to keep Fisker afloat? Is there enough volume to make this partnership sustainable? I would think that Magna is going to foot most if not all of the COGS (cost of goods sold) bill since they are manufacturing the Ocean using all their machines, sourced parts & in-house labor to Fiskers specs. I am hoping whatever arrangement Fisker has with Magna and their other partners, that they are a huge success. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I been wondering the same thoughts. To me on paper with the asset-light Magna, CATL, Bridgestone, CHASE partnership all sounds smart/awesome, but there are details of the partnerships we don't know. How much of the revenue does Fisker keep vs Magna? Is the ratio enough to keep Fisker afloat? Is there enough volume to make this partnership sustainable? I would think that Magna is going to foot most if not all of the COGS (cost of goods sold) bill since they are manufacturing the Ocean using all their machines, sourced parts & in-house labor to Fiskers specs. I am hoping whatever arrangement Fisker has with Magna and their other partners, that they are a huge success. What do you guys think?
It is a good question. What complicates things is that Magna has invested in Fisker itself and therefore it's in their best interest for Fisker to survive. Fisker is also "pairing" with Foxconn in Ohio for the PEAR vehicle. Having multiple manufacturers helps too. It's not like Fisker can swap manufacturing to Foxconn, since the basic design and a lot of the tech in the Ocean is Magna based. It will be interesting to see what happens.

·
Registered
2012 Volvo S60 Referral M37TH5
497 Posts
No doubt that Fisker has financial people who crunched the numbers. I'm sure that they're not just going in blind or with crossed fingers.

·
Registered
716 Posts
@1800sss
How much of the revenue does Fisker keep vs Magna?
That’s a very valid question?
However, the elephant in the room is really,
“How much did Fisker Inc save by NOT building it’s own manufacturing plant?

Well, the easy quick answer is, at least, 750 Million dollars! ($750,000,000)
which Fisker Inc did not have to raise in the equity market
N.B. Rivian Normal, Illinois plant is going throu “Production Hell!”

·
Registered
8 Posts
@1800sss

That’s a very valid question?
However, the elephant in the room is really,
“How much did Fisker Inc save by NOT building it’s own manufacturing plant?

Well, the easy quick answer is, at least, 750 Million dollars! ($750,000,000)
which Fisker Inc did not have to raise in the equity market
N.B. Rivian Normal, Illinois plant is going throu “Production Hell!”

Excellent point and different approach to building an EV....which I think is genius on Henrik's part.....I just hope and pray it pays off for us all!

·
Registered
MB GLA, Reserved Ocean Ultra
301 Posts
Rivian plan is an old plan from GM so it is less expensive to only pay to reorganize the lay out. A brand new plan will cost easily $1 billion. In long term, over 5 yrs, Henrik could invest in a plan and maybe with a partner like Magna. ;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rivian plan is an old plan from GM so it is less expensive to only pay to reorganize the lay out. A brand new plan will cost easily $1 billion. In long term, over 5 yrs, Henrik could invest in a plan and maybe with a partner like Magna. ;)
I'm pretty sure Rivian purchased an old Mitsubishi plant in Normal IL.. Tesla bought an old GM/Toyota plant in Fremont CA. Both companies had to spend a lot of money to refurbish the plants to their specifications. Ideally, I like seeing the reuse of abandoned facilities - it's better for the local communities and reduces environmental impact.

·
Registered
MB GLA, Reserved Ocean Ultra
301 Posts
I'm pretty sure Rivian purchased an old Mitsubishi plant in Normal IL.. Tesla bought an old GM/Toyota plant in Fremont CA. Both companies had to spend a lot of money to refurbish the plants to their specifications. Ideally, I like seeing the reuse of abandoned facilities - it's better for the local communities and reduces environmental impact.
You are right, I just seen that Vinfast will make a plan in North Carolina and their budget is $2 billions!!!

·
Registered
716 Posts
@Baker
A brand new plan will cost easily $1 billion. In long term, over 5 yrs, Henrik could invest in a plan and maybe with a partner like Magna. ;)
I like that!
Henrik Fisker did state that Fisker Inc may eventually change their focus to
building heir own EV plant….partnering with Magna would be a coup!

Reactions: Baker
1 - 11 of 11 Posts