Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please share your Top 3 Reasons to wait for a Fisker Ocean vs. purchasing an EV already on the market.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
Range, Design/Appearance, Price

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We just published our Top 3 reasons why you should wait for a Fisker Ocean. It goes beyond range and price. Let us know if you agree.

·
Registered
Referral Code: 8Z0AXK ~60,000
1,168 Posts
#1. Design foremost: clean uncluttered Scandinavian design

#2. Technology: very important......ADAS, 4D radar, EtelligentDrive, front and rear-drive permanent magnet motors, CATL latest battery tech, and much more

#3. Price. All the features included in an all-inclusive price structure + available options

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts
1. I am tired of Tesla’s nom-existent customer service.
2. I am tired of Tesla’s abysmal quality control. My rear window leaked when it rained, my trunk and lights don’t line up and my driver door sticks out.
3. I am tired of Tesla changing certain aspects of the car that don’t need to be changed. My auto high beams SUCK and so do my auto wipers.

Bonus: I am tired of my Forward Collision Warning and other safety systems not working and not notifying me.

I love the forward thinking in theory of what Tesla is trying to do but some things don’t need to be changed. Elon fired the PR team and now where do complaints go to? Elon can‘t read messages from 7 billion people.

I really hope HenriI knocks it out of the park with the Ocean for my sanity's sake.

·
Premium Member
2016 Cadillac ELR
214 Posts
I’m just praying that I will like it functionality wise as much as I like my ELR, as well as the handling of the (2016 model - HUGE difference) ELR. So I guess that’s functionality and handling. Third is looks, but to make me absolutely willing to switch cars is adding all wheel drive which is what I don’t have and would really love on a set of Vredesteins in the winter!

·
Registered
2012 Volvo S60 Referral M37TH5
747 Posts
Range, innovative features, styling. I could probably go on. 😁 I like that Henrik is an outside of the box thinker. I used to really want a Saab because they were different from the mainstream (until GM bought and wrecked them). That's just how I'm wired.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's something different. Same reason I support Rivian and will be getting an R1S.

There will be serious growing pains. i.e The R1T is a bit of a mess right now - between half working features, quality controls, production estimates being a random guess, etc. Fisker will be the same for the first year but we are early adopters.

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts
It's something different. Same reason I support Rivian and will be getting an R1S.

There will be serious growing pains. i.e The R1T is a bit of a mess right now - between half working features, quality controls, production estimates being a random guess, etc. Fisker will be the same for the first year but we are early adopters.
I don't think the experience will be like Tesla and Rivian at all. When you're working with a manufacturing behemoth like Magna, they have ALL of their ducks in a row. Both Rivian and Tesla are trying to build from the ground up. Magna's been there and done that a very, very long time ago. It won' be perfect but I don't expect it to be anywhere near as sloppy as what Tesla and Rivian are doing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't think the experience will be like Tesla and Rivian at all. When you're working with a manufacturing behemoth like Magna, they have ALL of their ducks in a row. Both Rivian and Tesla are trying to build from the ground up. Magna's been there and done that a very, very long time ago. It won' be perfect but I don't expect it to be anywhere near as sloppy as what Tesla and Rivian are doing.
I don't think Magna solves the problems Rivian is having:

1) The UI system is half-baked. It's great when it works but it is a little buggy and problematic. It's an going development process and early buyers are beta-testers. Ma
2) The tonneau design is super unreliable. The first thing I said to myself after seeing it in my First Mile test last week - this will be the first thing to break. There will be some unrefined design choice I'm sure with every first gen EV.
3) Driver+ (driver assist) is problematic. It's completely built from the ground up. What driver assist system is the Fisker Ocean using? I'd feel more comfortable if they used some known open system like Open Pilot (Comma AI) instead of building their own.
4) Low part supply. Carmakers have enough parts for production but many not for EVs that need repairs.

This isn't like Kia/Hyundai who can slap a well tested Highway Driver Assist system into an EV and it works magically without problems. Heck, even the Korean EV twins still have issues.. zombie mode, blown speaker amps, misaligned panels, warm/cold-gating. These two carmakers are often top of the reliability charts and their new EVs are showing more problems than their traditional ICE cars.

Traditional carmakers struggle with EV system complexity. See the Ford recall for the HV junction box (contactors overheat and weld shut). New 2022 Bolts are failing shortly after delivery due to possible faulty contactor. There have been LG battery recalls for the Kona, Bolt, and ID.4 (not all of them though).

For an EV supposedly being released soon (Fisker One).. there's has been no public test drives of the Ocean. I feel this EV is probably two years away from "refinement" - the first year will be working out kinks. I fully realize this and will happy to see what crazy new innovative features Fisker comes up with.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
969 Posts
I don't think Magna solves the problems Rivian is having:

1) The UI system is half-baked. It's great when it works but it is a little buggy and problematic. It's an going development process and early buyers are beta-testers. Ma
2) The tonneau design is super unreliable. The first thing I said to myself after seeing it in my First Mile test last week - this will be the first thing to break. There will be some unrefined design choice I'm sure with every first gen EV.
3) Driver+ (driver assist) is problematic. It's completely built from the ground up. What driver assist system is the Fisker Ocean using? I'd feel more comfortable if they used some known open system like Open Pilot (Comma AI) instead of building their own.
4) Low part supply. Carmakers have enough parts for production but many not for EVs that need repairs.

This isn't like Kia/Hyundai who can slap a well tested Highway Driver Assist system into an EV and it works magically without problems. Heck, even the Korean EV twins still have issues.. zombie mode, blown speaker amps, misaligned panels, warm/cold-gating. These two carmakers are often top of the reliability charts and their new EVs are showing more problems than their traditional ICE cars.

Traditional carmakers struggle with EV system complexity. See the Ford recall for the HV junction box (contactors overheat and weld shut). New 2022 Bolts are failing shortly after delivery due to possible faulty contactor. There have been LG battery recalls for the Kona, Bolt, and ID.4 (not all of them though).

For an EV supposedly being released soon (Fisker One).. there's has been no public test drives of the Ocean. I feel this EV is probably two years away from "refinement" - the first year will be working out kinks. I fully realize this and will happy to see what crazy new innovative features Fisker comes up with.
Unfortunately, nobody is perfect. I'm not expecting Magna to be either. I fully expect the UI/software to be a weak point unfortunately. That was a problem on the Jaquar I-Pace - but it's hard to pin the fault on Jaguar or Magna. Jaguar's not the pinnacle of auto reliability - but the I-Pace has been their best vehicle in that respect. I'm hoping the general mechanical/structure to be great since Magna has great experience in this area.

While EVs are much simpler with regard to number of parts and general construction, there is much to learn in manufacturing vast numbers with good quality and low cost.

BTW, can you name one auto manufacturer that is using the Open Pilot (Comma AI) system?

·
Registered
54 Posts
BTW, can you name one auto manufacturer that is using the Open Pilot (Comma AI) system?
None. I wish one would.

Hyundai/Kia are moving to Nvidia Drive. I don't know how I feel about that. Their current HDA1/HDA2 system works amazing well and their QNX-based infotainment system (while dated) is rock solid. That's what you get when you can share tech + features + parts with your entire fleet. Allowed Hyundai/Kia to accelerate EV development times and the reliability is very high on those systems.

Any new infotainment + driver assist is going to be riddled with problems - here's looking at you VW.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts