Fisker Ocean Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in another thread we were discussing the Oceans width and someone posted the press release dimensions. Included were tire sizes. They are as follows

255/50/R20
255/45/R22

This looked curious to me because they have very similar sidewall ratios for a 2 inch change in wheel size. So I put them into a tire size calculator and the 20" wheels have 5" of sidewall and an overall diameter of 30". The 22" have a sidewall of 4.5" and overall diameter of 31". The sidewall isn't that much different, and the larger wheels actually have a larger diameter. This must mean the speedos are calibrated differently. Is this common in cars for the wheels to actually have different diameters?

Now I'm wondering if the 20s will actually ride that much softer than 22 with minimal difference in sidewall and same width. Either way, I don't think I'll be looking to pony up to upgrade my Ultra to 22s.

·
Registered
Referral Code ZOQ017
935 Posts
For my Volvo XC60, which offers 19, 20, 21 and 22" wheel options.

19" 235/55-19 29.2" combined diameter, 5.1" sidewall
20" 255/45-20 29.0" combined diameter, 4.5" sidewall
21" 255/40-21 29.0" combined diameter, 4.0" sidewall
22" 265/35-22 29.3" combined diameter, 3.7" sidewall

Pretty similar results. Larger wheel size does not always indicate total wheel+tire size. It is odd that there is a 1" difference in total diameter on the Ocean. Manufacturers try to get the different wheel sizes to be very close so it doesn't affect the speedometer.

·
0 Posts
So I put them into a tire size calculator and the 20" wheels have 5" of sidewall and an overall diameter of 30". The 22" have a sidewall of 4.5" and overall diameter of 31".
If you play with the configurator on Fisker's web page, you'll notice that the 20" wheel actually shows the car lower to the ground compared to the 22". (Click the mountain icon on the bottom right to enable the background to see it better.) Not sure if that's exact, but if it is, it would back up what your calculator says. So, I suppose the 20" not only is more aerodynamic and possibly lighter, but would also lower the car a half an inch which should produce better aerodynamics?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you play with the configurator on Fisker's web page, you'll notice that the 20" wheel actually shows the car lower to the ground compared to the 22". (Click the mountain icon on the bottom right to enable the background to see it better.) Not sure if that's exact, but if it is, it would back up what your calculator says. So, I suppose the 20" not only is more aerodynamic and possibly lighter, but would also lower the car a half an inch which should produce better aerodynamics?
I've noticed the car moves lower with the 20s too! And I gotta say, the 22s look like they fill out the wheel wells to the max... Maybe even too full, how can they possibly turn?! ;)

·
Registered
Referral Code: 8Z0AXK ~60,000
1,137 Posts
@Tim
the 20" [wheels] not only is more aerodynamic and possibly lighter, but would also lower the car a half an inch which should produce better aerodynamics?
So true!
Love less unsprung weight (wheels)
and the lower stance to improve
the aerodynamics!

·
Registered
2013 BMW X3 - Reserved
42 Posts
So in another thread we were discussing the Oceans width and someone posted the press release dimensions. Included were tire sizes. They are as follows

255/50/R20
255/45/R22

This looked curious to me because they have very similar sidewall ratios for a 2 inch change in wheel size. So I put them into a tire size calculator and the 20" wheels have 5" of sidewall and an overall diameter of 30". The 22" have a sidewall of 4.5" and overall diameter of 31". The sidewall isn't that much different, and the larger wheels actually have a larger diameter. This must mean the speedos are calibrated differently. Is this common in cars for the wheels to actually have different diameters?

Now I'm wondering if the 20s will actually ride that much softer than 22 with minimal difference in sidewall and same width. Either way, I don't think I'll be looking to pony up to upgrade my Ultra to 22s.
An article in EVs and wheel sizes. After being active on several Fisker forums it is not surprising that so many are opting for the “cool” look as opposed to choosing range. Personally I am all in on the 20” wheels although wishing other styles were available.
EV buyers seem willing to sacrifice range for tire aesthetics
EV buyers seem willing to sacrifice range for tire aesthetics - The Seattle Times

·
Registered
187 Posts
@Daytime, I'm with you on the 20s. I mostly liked the images I saw of the previous 20s without the aero covers, but I don't like the latest images.

We have been told that there will be additional styles for 20s when the new configurator comes online in late October. So, I am hopeful.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR | 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
568 Posts
An article in EVs and wheel sizes. After being active on several Fisker forums it is not surprising that so many are opting for the “cool” look as opposed to choosing range. Personally I am all in on the 20” wheels although wishing other styles were available.
EV buyers seem willing to sacrifice range for tire aesthetics
EV buyers seem willing to sacrifice range for tire aesthetics - The Seattle Times
People who attended the Concours d’Elegance are reporting they were told that Fisker will be introducing other 20" wheel options (hopefully, prior to locking in the configuration for the One). Personally, I think larger sidewalls look "cooler" on SUVs, but according to my 8 y.o. son, I'm "weird" and out of touch of what is cool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts